A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 302,011
Currently Running With Scissors:
400 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: New Look 6813: V-neck knit top  (Read 4351 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Kaitlinnegan
« on: June 26, 2008 07:57:28 AM »

I have been digging the New Look patterns lately - this one is New Look 6813, done in mystery (probably poly/cotton) interlock knit from a thrift shop in salmon, and clearance mystery (again probably poly/cotton) dark brown jersey from Joann's.

This was a very quick top to make, but it didn't turn out quite as I had expected.  I expected something a little more close-fitting, and I thought the V-neck would be more modest.  It is alright as-is, and I will certainly wear it, but keep in mind if you want a close-fitting top you might have to go down a size or two.  This was already a size smaller than my measurements indicated.  If I make this one again, I will probably raise the neckline a bit in addition to making the whole thing in a smaller size.

I did most of the construction on my serger, except for the construction of the contrasting neckband and the hem, which is twin-needle stitched on my regular machine.  Instead of sewing the neckband to the garment then turning under the edge of the facing and stitching it down, I serged the neckband and facing to the garment in one step.  The inside finish is not as nice, but it was a lot faster!  I still need to do some practicing with V-necklines on my serger -- this was a little hair raising because I didn't baste first, but it came out ok!

The only real change I made to the design was adding the bands to the sleeves.  The sleeves were too big and quite droopy, so I added a band of the brown fabric cut on the crosswise grain, and stretched it quite a bit.  This cinched in the sleeves a little and made it a little nicer.  I had intended to add the bow at the neckline, but with the overall droopy look of the top, it looked a little silly so I left it off.  The bow is just a separate piece that's stitched on at the end, in case you are debating whether that's a good look for you.

Overall, I would recommend this pattern, as long as you pay attention to the sizing and the depth of the neckline.  Maybe make a practice version first.  I think it might be a little less droopy in a fabric with some spandex - I think my fabric tends to stretch but doesn't have much recovery.  I have a lot of other things I want to try, but I might come back to this top again at some point.

Well, any questions, comments or suggestions?   Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My sewing message board: Sew What's Up
jasar31629
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2008 08:20:18 AM »

I hope you'll give it another go in a smaller size, I really like the V on you-sets off your shoulders nicely!  Hopefully the smaller size will fix all the problems...and maybe a bit thinner of a fabric?  I've had thicker tees and thinner tees of these styles and I like the stretchier w/good recovery thinner ones best...  I don't know what else to do w/the sleeves...maybe an alteration to reign in the flutter...or else maybe exaggerate it so it looks intentional?  Anyhow-the style overall looks great on you and again, thx for the review!  Seems as if a lot of the big3 patterns run large though I wouldn't count on it  Roll Eyes
THIS ROCKS   Logged
dbrewer
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2008 08:47:30 AM »

Although you think the neckline is not very modest, I think you look fab in this top! I love your color choice in fabrics.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

They call me D-nice
tojoyamoto
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2008 08:33:59 AM »

This top looks great-- and you look great in it!  I love the bands on the sleeve ends, it really ties the colors of the shirt together and makes it look more finished.  And, thanks for the sizing info!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

... has anyone seen my shoes? I kicked them off in a fit of joy.
Kaitlinnegan
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2008 09:30:11 AM »

Thanks everyone!  I might try this one again before the summer's over if I can decide on where to order some cotton/lycra jersey. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

graverobbergirl
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2009 07:54:18 PM »

It looks really nice!

I'm thinking about trying this pattern (I like the retro feel of the boat neckline top and pleated skirt combo). Have you tried any more pieces from this pattern?

Would it be inadvisable to try this top without a serger? I've done knits on our standard 1940s machine before, but this style top seems more sensitive to stretching.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Duct tape? That stuff's a rip-off! I make my own tape."-Joe Garrelli, Newsradio

My Etsy

Just Another Crafting Blog
Kaitlinnegan
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2009 08:37:23 PM »

I haven't had a chance to try any of the other pieces, but I still would like to give the top another go in a different fabric and possibly different size.

I wouldn't let the lack of serger stop you.  If you can sew knit fabrics on your machine without skipped stitches and crazy stretched out seams, this top shouldn't be any different.  I think the stretching out factor depends mostly on the fabric choice, and if it's an issue, you can always try some tricks like starching your pieces before sewing.  Just test on some swatches until you're happy with the result.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

graverobbergirl
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2009 05:40:38 AM »

Thanks for the advice :-) Much appreciated!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Duct tape? That stuff's a rip-off! I make my own tape."-Joe Garrelli, Newsradio

My Etsy

Just Another Crafting Blog
greenwhick
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2010 12:43:50 AM »

very nice
THIS ROCKS   Logged
serenityfey
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2010 07:53:46 PM »

I think it's flattering as is, but making the mods you suggested (smaller size, pulling the v neck up) would make a cute shirt as well. I wonder how it would look without contrasting fabric?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Amazing Polar Umbrella Skyscraper Design
An Amazing Slide Design Inside a Home
How to Make a Baby Travel Kit
Japanese Artists Create Balloon Couture Dresses
Artist Creates Kitchen Accessories Inspired By Bizarre Human Biology
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Patriotic Planter
Summertime Sweetness: Fruit Salsa & Cinnamon Chips
Fire Up the Grill: Jerk Steak

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...