A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 296,602
Currently Running With Scissors:
753 Guests and 33 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 43
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: chopstick/dowel knitting needle tutorial  (Read 152161 times)
Tags for this thread: stocking_stuffers , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

hollflanders

The Stitch Queen of New Orleans

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 18, 2004 07:22:37 PM »

Wow!  How cool is this?!!?  Looks like I'll have to snap up some chopsticks next time I go out for Asian food.

There's a restaurant with a sushi bar that I frequent; I can grab some from there and give a pair to everyone in my SnB group.

What size needle would the typical chopsticks be? I'd have to get my gauge out  to figure that out.

And yes, there is a Cost Plus near me, so I'll have to check out the cooking chopsticks.  I need a pair of size 11s for an afghan I'm interested in knitting.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hollflanders

The Stitch Queen of New Orleans

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 18, 2004 09:17:30 PM »

I hadn't thought about using bamboo skewers for knitting needles!  Don't know if the ones I have in the kitchen are a size 5...but they'd make awesome double pointed needles.

Hmmm...there's an idea. I could probably knit some lace with them, being as the ones I have are incredibly tiny.

Time to go to the grocery store and snap up some more skewers of different sizes.

I so love this topic.  Thank you for all the neat replies.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
QueenB.
« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2004 04:28:32 AM »

I'm so excited about these needles.  I'm planning on making some with dowels later today.  No one has mentioned using paste wax to finish these off yet and I think it might help with the splintering problem.  Basically you paint and sand the wood, apply the paste wax, let it dry a while ( a few hours) and then sand and wax repeatedly until you like it.  I usually only use one coat.  The sandpaper should  be very fine.  You could also buff with a soft cloth at the end.  I've used Minwax paste wax on furniture in my house.  I've also used Dolan's which smells and feels better but is a lot more expensive.  The Minwax is from the hardware store and the Dolan's is from the fine arts store (it's great! you can use it on photographs and metal and as encaustic and oh my god I love it.)

THIS ROCKS   Logged
purple_octopus
« Reply #33 on: May 23, 2004 11:11:20 PM »

I've had success with plain old blocks of parafin wax (like you use for canning).  Just sand them and rub them down with a block of wax, and wipe off the excess (wipe off well).  You can repeat whenever the wax wears off if you need to.  I think that would be a little easier than the wax paper, and parafin is super cheap.  There's also no odor to impart on the wool (vs. furniture wax), which is nice if you have allergies.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
smash
« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2004 09:03:28 AM »

I put a little bit of olive oil on my dowel needles after sanding them. I didn't think of wax.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Nicole Randome
« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2004 10:55:39 AM »

I have made my own circular needles out of dowels.  Grin I cut about a 4 inch piece, sand one end to a knitting point, and drill a small hole with my Dremel in the other end. For the cord I use weed whacker line (the round, not ridged), measure it to the length I want and superglue it into the holes. Sand the needle to a nice taper and there you go! I will try to get some pictures later, I am really busy this week.

As for finishing dowel needles, I rub them down with steel wool after sanding, that will make them super smooth and catch any snagging points. Then I rub with mineral oil and one last rub down with wax paper.

I use woodworking pieces, dollhouse minis, beads, all kinds of things for tops.

I love doing the painted spools:
http://img69.photobucket.com/albums/v211/Ofrainfu/amethyst.jpg

These are some dollhouse minis I found in the clearance aisle:
http://img69.photobucket.com/albums/v211/Ofrainfu/floursugar.jpg
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012 08:52:41 AM by jungrrl - Reason: changed non-working image(s) to link(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged
kayray
« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2004 11:02:07 AM »

boxofrain -- I love those needles!  And your plan for home-made circs is brilliant Smiley

Kara
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://kayray.org/

Mary wished to say something very sensible, but knew not how.
darcidoodle

Don't let your karma hit your dogma!

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2004 09:51:57 AM »

I'm horrible at doing math properly... can anyone help with dowel sizes for size 17, 19, 35 and 50 needles? My dad has generously offered to chop down the dowels to a manageable size and I'd like to only make one trip to Home Depot... Thx! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
darcidoodle

Don't let your karma hit your dogma!

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2004 09:25:32 AM »

My bf took pity on me and converted the metric sizes into inches...thought I'd pass them on to help other math-deficient crafsters like me...

Size 17 = 1/2"
Size 19 =  5/8"
Size 35  =  3/4"
Size 50 = 1"

Have at it!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
likearespirator
« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2004 11:27:32 AM »

This is the best thread on craftster! My girl-friend and I are in the midst of making our own knitting needles, today is decorating day! I've just got a few questions:

How would tea staining the dowels work? It would just make them darker, correct?
If I wanted to use spray paint on the needles (not close to the tip, to prevent chipping) can you see any downside?
I heard that clay toppers can be a bit heavy and cumbersome while knitting - what is your take?
And about the olive oil - did it get your knitting oily? Or did it seep into the needles and work out nicely?

Thank you all!
-Julia
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nervousness.org
care2.com
disgruntledhousewif e.com/
email: jurcg@hotmail.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 43 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Schnauzer Pupcake Recipe
Poodle Pupcake Recipe
How to Pipe Grass Frosting on Cupcakes
How to Make Red, White and Blue Ice Pops
Boston Terrier Pupcake Recipe
Latest Blog Articles
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...