A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 296,761
Currently Running With Scissors:
523 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 43
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: chopstick/dowel knitting needle tutorial  (Read 152312 times)
Tags for this thread: stocking_stuffers , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

calliopegreen

happiness is gooey wool

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: September 11, 2005 12:25:43 AM »

thanks
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ForestGreen
« Reply #171 on: September 15, 2005 04:04:38 PM »

I managed to get to the closest hobby shop to me over the weekend, but I didn't find anything smaller than a 1/8 inch dowel. This particular hobby shop seemed to focus on role playing games though. I saw tons of game manuals, but not a lot of train or airplane stuff. I hate to rag, but they didn't have any size labels on the dowels or other wooden stuff. Perhaps it's because they're in a college town and don't get a lot of people in wanting to hand build things. It's possible that a different hobby shop would have a better selection of dowels.
Em
THIS ROCKS   Logged

History shows again and again how nature points out the folly of men. - Blue Oyster Cult
beatlesfan
« Reply #172 on: September 16, 2005 07:13:01 AM »

I managed to get to the closest hobby shop to me over the weekend, but I didn't find anything smaller than a 1/8 inch dowel. This particular hobby shop seemed to focus on role playing games though. I saw tons of game manuals, but not a lot of train or airplane stuff. I hate to rag, but they didn't have any size labels on the dowels or other wooden stuff. Perhaps it's because they're in a college town and don't get a lot of people in wanting to hand build things. It's possible that a different hobby shop would have a better selection of dowels.
Em

I think your best bet is to check out places that sell miniatures for dollhouses. There is a magazine called Nutshell news that has patterns for things that call for very small dowels so I am sure they have resources for where to buy them. Check the phone book and see if you have any stores that sell miniatures and you will probably find the dowels you need.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sonia
ForestGreen
« Reply #173 on: September 20, 2005 09:22:11 AM »

Thanks for the suggestion Beatlesfan. My mom used to be into dollhouse miniatures for a while and I think she still has some Nutshell News magazines floating around somewhere. I'll ask next time she comes for a visit.
As for stores near me that sell miniatures, the hobby shop I visited was it. Thank goodness for catalogs and websites!
I have seen doll house minis at another hobby shop before but it was much bigger and better stocked....and in a much bigger town than I can get to.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

History shows again and again how nature points out the folly of men. - Blue Oyster Cult
Miru
« Reply #174 on: September 23, 2005 06:36:05 PM »

Ya know, all the crafting I do and it never occured to me to paint my chopstic needles... ::smacks forehead:: It's a beautiful paint job, by the way.

Stacy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ariisi
« Reply #175 on: September 23, 2005 09:10:45 PM »

Hi, this is my first post. Everyone on this site is so talented. I was thinking about baking fimo on the ends of the dowels, and I think it would work to stick the needles upright in a bowl of sand or beans so that the clay wont get squished. Just remember that the bowl/container needs to be oven-safe.
I already have so many ideas after looking over the posts, now I just need to find a way to make them with limited supplies/money (I live in the dorms).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

www.forge22.com
jezze
« Reply #176 on: September 27, 2005 11:54:23 PM »

I needed some 9mm circulars for a project and none of the shops I went to had anything in that size; and then I found this thread! Thanks to Box of Rain for the instructions for the circulars - they work briliiantly. I used epoxy glue to stick the cord in, because that's just what I had. I didn't need to sand much, and used steel wool to polish the needles before a final polish with wax paper. The steel wool really smooths the wood well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sharc
« Reply #177 on: October 06, 2005 05:45:57 AM »

Wow!! I've just found this and read the entire post, and am going to head out tomorrow to get me some supplies to tackle this!!! I'm so excited about it  Cheesy I have one question though that I'm a bit confused on. . . .it's sand then wax then paint, or is it sand, paint and then wax  Huh ?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
loves2experiment
Swap Moderator
Image Reproduction Techniques Moderator

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Irreverent. Indomitable. Incorrigible.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #178 on: October 06, 2005 05:50:14 AM »

I'm always looking for new knitting needles to add to my collection.  Must. Try. This.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

...loves to experiment...not a monogamous crafter...

STS Spring Market 2014
aadttsm

Just Breathe...

View Profile WWW
« Reply #179 on: November 02, 2005 11:29:05 AM »

My dowel DPNs:

Colored with... Rainbow Sharpies!! Won't chip-off, doesn't bleed off.  Sealed with wax.  :-)
« Last Edit: November 02, 2005 11:32:49 AM by aadttsm » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 43 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Natural Volume Hairstyle Makeover
Funky Hairstyle and Night Evening Makeup Makeover
Bob Hairstyle and Smokey Eyes Makeover
Sweeping Fringe Makeover
Sun-kissed Style Hair Makeover
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quick and Easy Organizer
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...