A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 296,395
Currently Running With Scissors:
749 Guests and 45 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 43
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: chopstick/dowel knitting needle tutorial  (Read 151863 times)
Tags for this thread: stocking_stuffers , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

flootloop
« Reply #380 on: January 28, 2008 10:04:24 AM »

Wow what a great thread! Sorry for such a noobie question, but I'm just a tad confused-aren't chopsticks tapered? Do you sand down the whole thing so it's even? Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #381 on: January 28, 2008 11:04:16 AM »

Wow what a great thread! Sorry for such a noobie question, but I'm just a tad confused-aren't chopsticks tapered? Do you sand down the whole thing so it's even? Thanks!
Yes they are but they typically have blunt ends and knitting needles have pointy ends.
You can hand sand them down but that takes forever.
I've used both a regular pencil sharpener and an electric to sharpen them and then sand the end down just a bit so I don't stab myself with them. Smiley
then just rub them down with oil or wax paper after sanding the whole thing. Smiley

Has anyone tried those squared chopsticks? I bought a package of them at Bi-lo and really want to make them into knitting needles. Smiley Will they fit in the sharpener or do I need to get a different sharpener?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
AprilRush
« Reply #382 on: February 02, 2008 09:51:26 PM »

this seems like a awesome present idea for someone who knits! now i just need to convince a friend to learn to knit so not only i would enjoy something like this! lol super kewl!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Kanhoro

Xander of Wolven-Knit~

View Profile WWW
« Reply #383 on: February 19, 2008 06:22:14 PM »

wow very nice, i might try that next time, maybe paint it so it looks like #2 pencils or somehow attach (screws? or glue) to resemble the tips of a fork or spoon or some other ordinary things.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2008 04:18:29 PM by Kanhoro - Reason: attach not attack >.< » THIS ROCKS   Logged

wifeofbath

Tiber Swim Team

View Profile WWW
« Reply #384 on: February 20, 2008 03:07:55 AM »

Oh, yes, the classic yellow #2 pencil would be cute. If the size were close to an actual pencil, you wouldn't have to make a topper for the end, just use those sort of triangular-ish erasers you can buy to use when the pencil's eraser runs out. Assuming they still make those; I've been out of school a long time.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"An old cloak makes a new jerkin..." (Wm Shakespeare, recycling and DIY enthusiast)
Sooze
« Reply #385 on: February 22, 2008 11:27:35 AM »

OK, well I am IN! Got some prerolled bead design sticks from the goodwill store today (by accident)
The dremel was going a bit too slow...what ARE these chopsticks made out of?? Teakwood? it's HARD WOOD!
So, since it's 19* F outside, I drug in my table top grinder and went to town! oh myyy, how I am going to LOVE  "knitting noodles" on these!
they will either be 6 or 6.5, we'll see,butthe point I can make on them will be great for me, since I am a new knitter!
Can't wait to play with the sculpy ends, and what ever else I try, buttons, bottlecaps, who knows? Found some pretty polished rocks last night
Think Liquid nails is a bit over the edge? well start with the toughest and move 'backwards'
If they weren't so pretty I'd paint them, bu ohh, I do have some plans for DPN's and some painted, and some rare and hard to find (smoothe, key word) woods!
Thanks so much for the ideas!
Now....abotu shearing my sheepkin rug.............and dying it with koolaid...am I getting too adventerous or what?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jesskreck
« Reply #386 on: April 16, 2008 02:33:03 PM »

what a good idea!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Check out my web site: http://www.sewingschool.org
...Everything you wanted to know about sewing but were afraid to ask...
KrisCreates

Keep on rockin' in the craft world!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #387 on: April 19, 2008 08:52:57 AM »

Awsome tutorial!  I love making knitting needles now, but i never would have even thought about it if I hadn't seen this!  Here are a few pairs a made recently:

Oak needles, size burned into the side (8mm, US 11) with fimo clay ends with flowers sculpted and painted on.

Oak needles, size burned into the side (10mm, US 15) with fimo clay skulls on the ends
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mahkev
« Reply #388 on: April 19, 2008 11:53:13 AM »

those look awesome  "KrisCreates" what do you use to burn the size in the wood?

THIS ROCKS   Logged

walkrunfly
« Reply #389 on: April 23, 2008 06:59:31 AM »

Love this idea. I bought a bunch of different size dowels and have made a couple straight pairs and one circular set so far. I had a mini hot glue gun that I bought at Lowe's for under $4 and it worked really well to secure the cord. I was also able to shape the glue into an upside down cone shape around the cord for the transition from cord to needle. I recommend using this method bc the cord feels very secure and i didnt have to worry about sanding down the wood at the connection- the dried rubber glue has a smooth surface so it works quite well for allowing slipping yarn over.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2008 07:01:35 AM by walkrunfly » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 43 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make Dyed Easter Eggs
Homemade Coasters With Kerry Washington
How to Read Crochet Patterns: Following and Reading Directions
How to Read Crochet Patterns: Following Patterns
How to Read Crochet Patterns: Crochet Diagrams
Latest Blog Articles
DIY Summer
Craft Challenge 101 Announced - Stash Buster
July 8, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...