A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, it's easier for people to discover it if you choose a great title for your thread.
Total Members: 301,967
Currently Running With Scissors:
474 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 43
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: chopstick/dowel knitting needle tutorial  (Read 161902 times)
Tags for this thread: stocking_stuffers , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mahkev
« Reply #290 on: January 28, 2007 08:24:15 PM »

Hello, well im not sure if this has been discussed (sorry 30 pages) but does anyone know of a clever way to add the needle size to the needles, Ive seen it painted on the end piece before, not sure if I have the skills to make it look neat enough though Huh
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Conley
I Poke You With Sticks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #291 on: January 29, 2007 05:33:24 AM »

Hello, well im not sure if this has been discussed (sorry 30 pages) but does anyone know of a clever way to add the needle size to the needles, Ive seen it painted on the end piece before, not sure if I have the skills to make it look neat enough though Huh

Some people put stuff at the end of their needles like little clay shapes or pieces from the dollhouse furniture section. Have you thought about printing up the numbers realtively smallish off the computer or use scrapbooking paper with numbers, then using the small glass beads (like the magnets you see all over the place here. you can see some here: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=143882.0 ) as the end pieces?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Blog    http://stephieface.wordpress.com
Ravelry    http://www.ravelry.com/people/Stephieface

2/18/12 - I no longer have the directions for wrapped pens, I lost them several years ago. To obtain them for yourself, do like I did, contact DMC threads directly and ask for them.
Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #292 on: January 29, 2007 06:15:14 AM »

Another option is to use a fine point sharpie and write the size on the knitting needle with that near the end. I'd let it dry pretty good though to make sure it doesn't rub off on your knitting. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mahkev
« Reply #293 on: January 29, 2007 10:02:54 AM »

ooh those are great ideas, thank you very much!! I will start experimenting Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mahkev
« Reply #294 on: January 29, 2007 02:43:30 PM »

here are my first officially finished needles, I have lots more that aren't completely finished.. I think these are birch dowels, points carved with an xacto knife, sanded with 2 different grade sandpapers, 3 coats of poly. sanding in between each coat. this creates a non sticky super smooth finish

I bought wooden balls at michaels (no holes) and drilled the specific size hole I needed with a dremel tool, put on wood sealer, painted them black then added the polka dots, I didnt have any small enough brushes so i dipped the end of a small scrap dowel piece in the paint to apply the dots, finished with a gloss varnish....these feel super smooth..

I also finished a pair of mahogany, but have only made one of the toppers, so far I love the mahogany, its a beautiful color and needs only a limited amount of sanding to get smooth, without any thing else, I will post a pic of the one when I get it..

now i just have to experiment with adding the size of the needle and Im going to try staining, rosewood or cherry since I cant find darker wood dowels

btw.....i did the rest with a electric pencil sharpener, this creates the need for more sanding than if you carve with a knife, but I started using the electric sander and now its a really fast process

edited....

here a a couple more pix..the blue/green dots dont have the glossy varnish..and no poly added, these are just sanded..and my hand carved points.. any comments or suggestions are greatly appreciated  Smiley

« Last Edit: April 11, 2007 03:38:06 PM by mahkev » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Eliea
Tutorial Contributor

Proverbs 31:13 "She seeketh wool, and flax, and worketh willingly with her hands."

« Reply #295 on: January 29, 2007 05:35:42 PM »

the pics you took are so pretty! I love them! Very cute and your pics are just as artistic as the needles.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bruisinraincloud
☺B U L L Y☺

bully

« Reply #296 on: February 01, 2007 11:58:31 AM »

those are sooooooooooooo nice!

I have tried to learn how to knit, I even purchased knitting needles, and Im not a good teacher.....I just cant teach myself.......giggles Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

nothing tastes as good as being fit feels! Did you workout today???
shewolf
I call her Vera.

The hero of Canton

View Profile WWW
« Reply #297 on: February 02, 2007 06:32:49 AM »

Woodburning set Smiley I did mine with the US size on all 5 DPNs and the metric on the opposite end of 1 DPN.  My smallest are a sz 3, and I was able to get that burned on... I don't know how well it would go smaller than that though!

ETA: If you can't get waxd paper, Blocks of wax work fine, just rub the devil out of the needle, then buff with a folded piece of denim. Repeat 2 or 3 times.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2007 06:35:09 AM by shewolf » THIS ROCKS   Logged

(\__/) This is Fat Bunny.
( o.o ) It has taken over, and eaten the unbelievers.
( > < ) Copy Bunny into your signature or be EATEN!

www.rattleheadgames.com - for all your gaming needs!

http://www.wists.com/shewolf I wish, I wish, with all my heart.... Smiley
mahkev
« Reply #298 on: February 02, 2007 02:06:56 PM »

Woodburning set Smiley I did mine with the US size on all 5 DPNs and the metric on the opposite end of 1 DPN.  My smallest are a sz 3, and I was able to get that burned on... I don't know how well it would go smaller than that though!

So that must be how they put it on the ones you buy in the store, Is it easy to find a woodburning set, I guess it comes with the numbers and letters? that sounds cool and professional looking, I'd like to look into that, would they have that at michael's??
THIS ROCKS   Logged

shewolf
I call her Vera.

The hero of Canton

View Profile WWW
« Reply #299 on: February 02, 2007 03:22:32 PM »

So that must be how they put it on the ones you buy in the store, Is it easy to find a woodburning set, I guess it comes with the numbers and letters? that sounds cool and professional looking, I'd like to look into that, would they have that at michael's??

I used one my husbad had, and did it freehand. I'd guess the craft stores would have one. I think I've seen them at Wally world also...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

(\__/) This is Fat Bunny.
( o.o ) It has taken over, and eaten the unbelievers.
( > < ) Copy Bunny into your signature or be EATEN!

www.rattleheadgames.com - for all your gaming needs!

http://www.wists.com/shewolf I wish, I wish, with all my heart.... Smiley
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 43 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Author Patricia Beard Discusses a Certain Summer
The Great Lollipop Caper
Red Sparrow Author Jason Matthews Talks About M.I.C.E.
Red Sparrow Author Jason Matthews Talks About the Art of Elicitation
Red Sparrow Author Jason Matthews Talks About the Sparrow School
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: TVP Chik'n Nuggets
@Home This Weekend: Colorful Garden Chairs
Craftster Quickies: How to Make Palette Coasters

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...