A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 302,723
Currently Running With Scissors:
688 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 43
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: chopstick/dowel knitting needle tutorial  (Read 163941 times)
Tags for this thread: stocking_stuffers , tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

penguino
« Reply #120 on: April 02, 2005 03:05:28 PM »

I saw 12 inch dowels, 2 each, 5 different sizes in Target (by the art/craft/paint section).  They are perfect for making knitting needles.  You don't have to cut them down, just sharp them using a pencil sharper.  BTW 1/8 in=US#3, 3/8 in=US#13, 5/16 in=US#11, 1/4 in=US#10 1/2, 3/16 in=US#8
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Halidays
« Reply #121 on: April 02, 2005 03:25:42 PM »

You don't need a saw to cut dowel rods or chop sticks down to the correct size.  If you have a good sturdy pair of kitchen scissors, they work just as well.  Just make a mark where you want to cut, use your scissors to score the area about 1/2 way through, then snap the down/chop stick.  Don't use your good sewing scissors for this, it will dull them. The end will be jagged, but that can be sanded down with a little elbow grease.

I use just  plain white tea candle to smooth my needles down. Sand the needles smooth first. Then  heat the oven to about 250 degrees or so, put the needles on a cookie sheet ( lined with foil) for about 2 minutes to heat up the wood.  I then take the needles out, rub the candle onto the warm wood, and pop them back into the oven for another 2 minutes.  DO NOT LEAVE THEM UNATTENDED!  WAX IS HIGHLY FLAMMABLE!  Just put them in the oven enough to warm up the wood and melt the wax.  Do this several times.  You can wipe off the excess wax with a papertowel.

Let the needles sit over night so the wax can be absorbed completely.  They will be ready to use the next day!

The precut dowels are great, but if you only need one pair, buy just the full  dowel rod that you need.  It is handy to take your needle gague with you to either the craft store or hardware store for easy sizing of the dowels.

Happy Needle Making!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
neverendingjourney
I have gone to find myself, if I get back before I return please tell me to wait. Thank you!

If a cow laughed, would milk come out her nose?

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 05, 2005 05:37:23 AM »

ok, i have skim-ed through and didnt see this but for the end result, well i use mineral-oil.........dont know if this will help anyone or not, but that is what i use.
darla
THIS ROCKS   Logged

May the fleas of a thousand camels infest the crotch of the person who screws up your day & may their arms be too short to scratch
shrtcke
« Reply #123 on: April 06, 2005 08:32:01 PM »

i got so excited about making my own needles after seeing everyones. i went to michaels today and bought a bunch of different size dowels and some clay. the clay was on sale for .87 cents and its regularly 2.49 (what a deal). i started as soon as i got home. i didn't have a pencil sharper though so i used a rasp to make the points which worked out good. i have a bunch of those wooden cuticle sticks around too and i think i going to make them into dpn's they look like the same wood as the dowels. i also wanted to know if anyone has used a clear gloss acrylic spray to coat their needles. i already have it and don't want to go buy something else if that will work.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

justlease
« Reply #124 on: April 29, 2005 04:36:09 PM »

http://www.lisaknitstoo.com/images/circulars.jpg

Yes indeedy, it's possible to make your own circular needles.  I made a pair of 40" size 8's.

Following the advice of several folks in this thread, I made them and they work really well.  I'm amazed as can be.

What I did was cut the dowels to short lengths, and using a really tiny drill bit, drilled a hole into one end of each dowel.  I held the dowel in a pair of pliars since I didn't have a vice.  I made the hole probably 3/4 inch deep. 

Then I sanded the drilled end until it was about as tapered as I could get it to be.  I found that the easiest way to get a smooth join is to sand more off one side so you have an oval shaped hole that you can see from the side of the dowel.  I then glued in some weed whacker replacement cord into the both ends and let it dry.  When dry, I sanded a little bit more, and then coated the ends where the cord goes in with clear nail polish (because that is what I had on hand) up about a 1/4 inch onto the needle.  I let that dry, and put on 2-3 more coats of the clear polish.   The join is VERY smooth.

Afterwards, I sanded down the knitting ends of the needles until I was satisfied with the amount of taper.  I coated the needles in butchers wax and buffed them a couple of times, too. 

They cost me less than 2 bucks to make, and that's including the cost of 40 feet of weed whacker wire!   

I'm wondering if I should delete this post, and put it under it's own heading since it's circs?  Also, if anyone is interested, I'm going to make more and I'll gladly take pictures along the way of the steps...  

« Last Edit: July 30, 2012 08:59:36 AM by jungrrl - Reason: changed non-working image(s) to link(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tell me, are you a badfish too?

scattered-knitting.blogspot.com
Sewer Rat
Fabric will be my downfall!

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: April 29, 2005 05:49:16 PM »

Um... you are amazing!  *she pounds on the "This rocks!" button!*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Organ donation rocks!  Recycle, reuse!
artxinxlies

don't.fall.in.love.with.everyone.you.see

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: May 01, 2005 08:48:39 PM »

i made my own size 11 needles today out of a dowel!! i ewnt and bought the dowel for 1.05 at lowes and was going ot buy some sandpaper but mom conviced me she had some i could use.  unfortunately we didn't relaly have any and since i'm impatient i just used a nail file!! it worked just fine!

so i just sanded them, olive-oiled them, and painted a little bit of the end, and put some yarn/warn on the end for a stopper! i might post pics later!

Super kudos to the craftster that thought this one up!!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SheScraps
Knitting Newbie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #127 on: May 03, 2005 08:41:47 PM »

justlease...I am so interested in seeing how you make the circular needles!!!  Would love it if you shared the pics of the process!   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

h18gonekrazy
« Reply #128 on: May 03, 2005 10:51:03 PM »

I'm soooo stoked to make my own needles Grin!!!!!!!!! i wish i had time to make my mom some for mother's day. oh well, i'll make up for it over the summer, i'm sure i'll be making a ton!!!!
wow, i'm ridiculously excited about this!!!

You guys are amazing!
Holly
THIS ROCKS   Logged
justlease
« Reply #129 on: May 04, 2005 09:26:50 AM »

SheScraps....sure thing.  As soon as I make another pair of circulars (which will be soon, I promise) I will take pictures along the way and post the tutorial under it's own topic.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Tell me, are you a badfish too?

scattered-knitting.blogspot.com
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 43 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
David Menasche: What Are You Reading?
Trailers: X-Men: No More Humans Trailer
My First Book Became A Lifetime Movie
Author And Mom Describes How Divorce Led To Her Steamy Memoir
Jerry Stahl LIVE
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Rustic Fabric Pumpkins
I See London; I See France!
Meatless Monday: Zucchini Pineapple Loaf

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...