A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News: Craftster Best of 2014 have been announced!  Check out the winning projects here!
Total Members: 301,296
Currently Running With Scissors:
587 Guests and 13 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: C&C California Top... I need some help, please.  (Read 715 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

VirgoAnna
« on: June 25, 2008 03:39:07 PM »

So, I found this top at http://www.downtownchick.com, and I really love this style top.  I figure that it can't be too terribly hard to make.  I'm just not sure how to make the pattern to allow for the gathers around the neck and arms.  Can anyone help me out?  It would be GREATLY appreciated.  Thanks!

THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Some things you lose, some things you give away"

-Sleater Kinney
val_for_design
Shimmy to the left, and shake it to the right

I should be working...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2008 05:34:17 PM »

This shouldn't be too hard. What you want to do is start with a basic short-sleeved shirt pattern - this one looks like a raglan. Draw in the neckline so it looks like the photo, and then chop it all up!

1. Divide the bodice panel vertically into several equal parts (maybe 6-8). Number them! Cut along these lines.

2. Place a large sheet of paper under the strips, and space them an equal distance apart (more ruled lines), maybe about 1/2 to 1-inch apart. Stick them all down and trace around the shape. The neckline and sleeve seam will be a wacky shape now, so draw a smooth line along the all points.

Do the same with the sleeve, making sure that you end up with sleeve seams of the same length!

Then cut out the pattern on fabric. Sew the sleeve seams together as normal, then gather the front neckline til it's the same size as the original pattern. Do the same with the lower hems of the sleeve. Elastic in a tunnel seam might be the best way, or maybe a little cord. I can't tell what's happening at the bottom - it's gathered too but it might be attached to a band. Draw up a strip  long enough to go round your waist/hips and attach the gathered bodice to it.

You might want to use a light knit with a little stretch for fitting ease, but I think the one in the photo is in a light cotton weave.

Hope that helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I suffer from SABLE -- Stash Accumulated Beyond Life Expectancy.

Crochet uses a hook. Pirates have hooks, and they are cool. So crochet is cool because of the hook.

"I'm the Fibre King, Michael. I'm the Fibre King." - Horatio Caine, CSI
mamato2girls
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2008 08:57:29 PM »

Maybe there is something I am not seeing, hence the strips in the last post.  But to me it looks almost just like the peasant tops I have been making my girls.  I used a tutorial by vegbee in the Kids clothing boards.  Here's the link.  I think you could adjust the measurements to make it fit an adult.  I have thought of making one for myself, but haven't gotten around to it yet.  It is the easiest shirt you will ever make.  It takes about 30 minutes. 

http://indietutes.blogspot.com/2007/07/peasant-blouse.html
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ScotSkipper402
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008 11:35:27 PM »

I THINK what makes the original blouse less peasant (and more aristocratic?) is that it fits more narrowly at the hem.

So I'd do val_for_designs basic striped expand-o version, but taper the stripes to hardly anything at about the waist. Essentially, wedges instead of stripes.

And only use stripe 1-5. Also, no expansion under the raglan underarms -- but wedgy sleeve caps.

Which will give you very odd looking pattern pieces, but a less blouse-y blouse with gathers where you want them. Maybe NO gathers on the back piece.

And as Mamma2girls says, it's an easy shirt to make -- once you tweak the pattern to put the puffyness only where you want it.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008 11:37:39 PM by ScotSkipper402 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"For what do we exist, but to laugh at our neighbors and be laughed at in our turn?"

My stash of supplies is now Beyond Life Expectancy. I love personal swaps! http://www.wists.com/redmennis
VirgoAnna
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2008 02:43:33 AM »

Wow, thank you all so, so much for taking the time to explain this to me.  I can't wait to get started now! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-Sleater Kinney
VirgoAnna
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2008 06:08:42 PM »

Okay so now I made the shirt and it's totally cute.  So, why are my sleves attatched to the side of the shirt?  Did I do something wrong here...  I mean obviously, but what, exactly can I alter to fix this problem?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-Sleater Kinney
val_for_design
Shimmy to the left, and shake it to the right

I should be working...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2008 10:52:42 PM »

Hmm... how do you mean? Your sleeves are attached to the side? Could you post a photo & we'll help you correct it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I suffer from SABLE -- Stash Accumulated Beyond Life Expectancy.

Crochet uses a hook. Pirates have hooks, and they are cool. So crochet is cool because of the hook.

"I'm the Fibre King, Michael. I'm the Fibre King." - Horatio Caine, CSI
VirgoAnna
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2008 07:10:18 AM »

Oh, I think that I didn't make enough of a curve under the arms... or enough space.  It's still really cute though.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-Sleater Kinney
Cinderwench
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2008 01:20:10 PM »

Okay, if you think there's not enough curve under the arms or something, you can get a little more room by putting a diamond shaped gusset into the place where the armscye (armhole) seam and the side seam and the sleeve seam all meet.

Use a seam ripper to rip all the under arm seams about 2 or 3 inches. Then put a square/diamond shaped piece into the opening. One point in the side seam, the opposite point in the sleeve seam and the other two points in the armhole seam. Don't stitch the patch all the way to the edge of the fabric, just to the seam allowance. (Man, this is harder to explain than I thought it would be.)

You'll end up with a square/diamond shaped patch in the armpit. When the garment is lying flat, the patch will be a triangle.

And if I've confused you too much, just ignore this whole thing!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

She selects wool and flax and works with eager hands. Proverbs 31:13 NIV
VirgoAnna
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2008 04:07:51 PM »

I get it!  I've seen shirts with that... I just wasn't sure what it did exactly.   Thank you!  I can fix my shirt now, and actually wear it. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-Sleater Kinney
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Louis Vuitton Resort 2014 Collection Revealed
Miley Cyrus Vs. Taylor Swift: Rocker Vs. Chic Fashion
The Vera Wang Dress Code
What To Wear: Chevrons
Sarah Jessica Parker Launching Shoe Collection With Manolo Blahnik
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Toddler Teething Cookies
@Home This Weekend: Art Caddy
Everyone needs more fiber!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...