A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 306,354
Currently Running With Scissors:
322 Guests and 0 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Pixie Hat from KnitWit - newbie questions  (Read 834 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

crabby
Tall, crabby, crafty.

This dog rules

View Profile WWW
« on: February 09, 2005 06:04:11 PM »

This is a call for help from a new, optimisitic, self-taught knitter who may be in over her head for a first ever FO.  I am dying to start the pixie hat in Knit Wit, in the sleek option, and I need some help with the beginning of the pattern.

CO X stitches for my melon size - got it.
Work even - got it - seed stitch - yup, got that - and this is where I get lost...

...until 1" from beg, ending, with RS (right sides - got it) facing.  Huh?  Does that mean to knit until I am an inch into the CO stitches, then seed stitch until I am an inch from the end, and then I knit to the end?  Where does the RS come in there?  Is that the RS of the CO stitches?  Doh!  Help!  The rest of the pattern is perfectly clear to me, but I'm stuck at the starting gate.   Embarrassed

I know that this is basic stuff, and that I really need to find a local SnB to attend for help, but I am really itching to start on this at home.  Take pity on me!

Ookpik - you out there?  I love this hat and can't wait to make one! 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kabili

I'm not a llama anymore!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2005 07:06:00 PM »

hi crabby, i think you've got it mostly right. i don't have the book myself, but based on what you typed... yes, work in seed stitch until you've finished 1" (between the CO and the stitches you've currently got on your needles). ending on a RS facing is just ambiguous because both sides of seed stitch look the same. just decide which will be RS and WS and keep it consistent throughout the project. (RS is the outside of the hat.) after that, since i don't have the rest of the pattern, i don't know if you work in garter, stockinette, or what. hope this helps, and let us know if you get stuck further on! good luck and remember to post pics!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

where are we going, and why am i in this handbasket?
crabby
Tall, crabby, crafty.

This dog rules

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2005 09:11:00 PM »

Kabili - thanks!   Kiss   GOT IT!  I was having a huge brain fart - pooofffft - and just needed some outside input!  Thanks for the help, and I'll be sure to post pics when I'm done (no telling when that will be...).

THIS ROCKS   Logged

booglass
Coin Operated Crafter

I made a hell of a lot of crafts to get here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2005 09:35:55 PM »

Be sure to post a pic.  I think it is an awesome hat that must be made and seen!  Now go get your knit on!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ookpik

everything is so neat!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2005 10:32:43 AM »

oops, i'm slow. i'm glad you've got this figured out! 1 inch of rows, to make the border at the face edge.

i'm not kidding-- i sometimes have awkward dreams where people yell at me because my patterns don't make sense. i plead "edited for space!" to no avail. anyway Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There's no such thing as too much information, so: All About My Vagina
punkrockmom

never trust a knitter with the grocery money

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2005 07:11:32 PM »

hi! im working on this hat too.  i started about 2 hours ago and i have about 4 inches already knit!  any luck and i'll ge wearing it monday : )
THIS ROCKS   Logged

boo37.blogspot.com
ilovepaper
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2005 03:34:24 AM »

I made the pixie hat for my daughter .......let me tell you, she has the best hats in the kindergarten class now that her mom knows how to knit. Anyway, I am a new knitter and I only had a problem when it came to picking up the stitches to finish up the bottom trim. (it was my problem, not the pattern .... don't have bad dreams ookpik  Smiley )
Let's see some pictures! I think I have one in my camera, but it needs to be developed.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Summer 2014 Wardrobe Staple: Denim
Charlize Theron Looks Stunning in an LBD
A Prom Dress That Will Makes You Shine with Hollywood Glam
Picking a Simple Dress with a Major Wow Factor
Two Ways to Wear Gingham Skirts
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...