A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 308,229
Currently Running With Scissors:
283 Guests and 2 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Photo box: the coolest thing I have EVER made!  (Read 5611 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Chantelle
« on: June 25, 2008 09:08:24 AM »

This is a beautiful way to showcase family photos. And it's more compact than a photo album, since it's a 3x3.5 little box! When you take off the lid and untie the pretty bow, it folds out into an accordian-like photo album. I don't have a photo of it closed, because my family wouldn't stop looking at it! I think there are about 150 photos in the box.

I have made my mom's Christmas gift almost every year since I was like 5. I left in March for Eastern Europe as a Peace Corps volunteer, where I will be for at least 2 years, so I wanted to make my mom something extra special! Yes, I know it was a Christmas gift and it's almost July now, but give me a break; I've been busy.  Embarrassed

This was a dinky little cardboard box that I covered in pretty paper. After hours of cutting and gluing paper accordian-style and taking pictures of family photos with my digital camera and then printing them, this amazing box was finished. The photos are held in there with photo corners, so they can be switched out with other ones if wanted.

I consider it successful because my mom, who is not an emotional person, cried when she opened it, and then my brothers and sisters sat around it on the floor looking at all the pictures and talking about when we were little. Some of these pictures were thought to be lost forever, but I found in a box while moving. I didn't say anything to my mom about them at the time, though.  Grin

THIS ROCKS   Logged
jessimocha
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2008 09:23:00 AM »

this is sooooo cool!!! Smiley

i have hundreds of photos - i'm kinda obsessed with photography, and am always looking at more ways to store and display that aren't the traditional albums. i love it!

did you figure it out yourself or follow a tutorial somewhere? i think i could figure it out from the photos, but of course if there's a tute out there that would be lovely! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

we will arise from the bunkers,
by land, by sea, by dirigible
we'll leave our tracks untraceable now

[and] hear all the bombs fade away...
trixiebells
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2008 09:27:08 AM »

This is great - what a super way to share your pictures.  I love it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
JLMS
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2008 10:33:40 AM »

Wonderful. I would also like to see a tut or a link. Great idea for all of our extra pics.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
archerpren
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2008 12:28:15 PM »

thats really great. how did you fighure out how to make that? it looks complicated
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Nven
Also known as Aeramel

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2008 12:47:04 PM »

That is a great idea!  Thanks for sharing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Interested in personal swaps; offering knits for eco baby and mama items.
gaudiknight
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2008 03:46:05 PM »

This is truly marvelous!  Such a wonderful idea for a Christmas present and much more creative than the usual album.  It reminds me of a puzzle for some reason.
I'm trying to imagine its construction...am I reading correctly that you started with a pre-made box, or did you start from scratch?  I'm going to have to try to make something similar.  Thanks for the inspiration.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Chantelle
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2008 06:37:45 AM »

I didn't follow a tute or anything, and I don't remember seeing anything similar before. however, the idea just popped into my head one day, so maybe I had been inspired by something and didn't realize it?

It was actually really easy; I just played around with it until it looked good.

Here's a very loose and basic tute:

I had a small box that had pictures of Santa Clause on it. I cut the four corners so that the sides would lay flat when opened. I covered the inside and outside with pretty paper. I cut tons of paper into 3x7 inch strips, which were folded in half for 3x3.5 inch cards. This was the size of both the box bottom and the sides of the box. When the cards were glued together, they formed a long accordion, which was glued into the box bottom. Two sides got smaller accordions and the other two sides just got single pictures, or the box wouldn't have been able to close again. I suppose it would be easier if you started with longer pieces of paper, but I only had 8.5x11inch paper, so that's what I used. I used photo corners to put the photos onto every accordion surface, so that my mom can put in whatever pictures she wants. Then I made a new lid for the box because the original one didn't fit anymore. Lastly, the outside got loops so that the box is tied up with a pretty ribbon just because it looks nice. The lid is pretty snug and keeps the box closed, but I like it with the ribbon.

If you make one, please post it here. I would love to see yours!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bsilvia
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2008 11:09:56 AM »

Hi!

I like this! I'll try to make my own... soon Smiley

S Smiley
« Last Edit: June 26, 2008 11:47:53 AM by bsilvia » THIS ROCKS   Logged

jessimocha
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2008 10:59:05 AM »

hey thanks so much for the explanation! i'm totally going to make one of these - hopefully before we move in august so it's easier to move all my photos Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

we will arise from the bunkers,
by land, by sea, by dirigible
we'll leave our tracks untraceable now

[and] hear all the bombs fade away...
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Scrap Busting Artwork
Let's Monkey Around!
Meatless Monday: Lemon Cornmeal Waffles

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...