A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 296,695
Currently Running With Scissors:
802 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 27
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Beauty Secrets  (Read 49406 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ishy
« Reply #130 on: December 12, 2005 12:24:48 PM »

The best acne fighters are a 2% salicylic acid cleanser, with a 10% benzoil peroxide cream twice a day.  Add a microdermafoliant for scars.

My personal recipe is Neutrogena Acne Cleanser, Clearasil Ultra on T-zone twice a day, and Neutrogena Advanced Solutions Facial Peel twice a week.  When I near that time of month I put the Clearasil all over my face. I spent 15 years trying to get rid of my acne and tried perscription stuff as well as all the expensive stuff.  Just a note-the perscriptions and the expensive stuff have some amount of the above in them, along with mainly expensive perfumes or labels. 

I highly recommend Paula Begoun's books, such as
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1877988308/qid=1134419005/sr=8-1/ref=pd_bbs_1/102-2004495-0505765?n=507846&s=books&v=glance
THIS ROCKS   Logged
minimonster777
« Reply #131 on: December 13, 2005 06:43:42 PM »

I have had so much fun reading all of these hints! I will definitely try some of these out  Smiley

Has anyone else found that only certain shampoos "work" on their hair? I find that I can only use Prell shampoo and have it actually clean my hair! Whenever I try to switch to any other kinds, it either won't rinse out cleanly (and leave that weird residue, forcing me to go back and rinse it out again once my hair is dry and I notice it) or won't clean my hair at all (when I stayed in Florida once, I used the hotel shampoo, and man, I rinsed and re-rinsed my hair on five seperate occasions that day and my hair was STILL greasy...although I suspect that the combination of different water and unfamiliar shampoo might have something to do with it....)

I have ridiculously thick and long hair (it's not ridiculously long, really, just waist length, but it IS horribly thick...I need three ponytail holders just to keep it in place, and my hand can only just fit around the thickness of my ponytail or braid) so I only wash it every 5th, 6th, or 7th day. By the 5th day it is starting to look pretty greasy, but if you brush the roots thoroughly, then just pull your hair back in a ponytail, braid, twist or whatever, you'll find that it looks "shiny" rather than "greasy" - just don't wear it down! If you wash your hair every day, you strip natural oils, which your scalp tries to overcompensate for - that is, your scalp will produce more oil per day than it otherwise would, so if you skip a day for shampooing, your hair would be as greasy on that second day as mine would be probably on the 4th or 5th day! I saw this firsthand when a friend of mine had to skip her daily shower because she had been running late for school, and her hair looked ridiculously oily, as if she had coated it in gel. It's a slow process to get used to, so try with just shampooing every other day, perhaps during a wekk where you really don't have anywhere important to go Smiley

If you suffer from ripped cuticles, as I do in the wintertime, try coating your cuticles with New Skin (an antibacterial liquid used on cuts to disinfect and form a liquid bandage over) - not only will it protect the cuticles as well as disinfect them, it has such a strong smell that if you start unconciously biting your nails (as I do when I'm nervous) the stink will alert you to stop!

Slather your hands with lotion before bed. I like Udderly Smooth Udder Cream ( a lotion formerly made for dairy cows to heal cracked udders, but now found in places like WalMart for a dollar a tube) for moisturizing and Bath and Body Works Holiday Candy Apple for the scent (although it smells nothing like apples). I wake up with silky soft paws in the morning

Burt's Bee's Cuticle Salve and Lip Balm are staples in my purse.

Sorry for this tome, haha. I hope someone can find use out of it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
mayerlove
« Reply #132 on: December 15, 2005 01:20:52 PM »

here's some new tips i learned:

put you eyeliner in the freezer for about 10 minutes, before you sharpen it. the tip won't break off while you sharpen!

before you put on your eyeliner, hold it in a flame for ONE second. it goes on more smoothly!

does anyone know how to make your eyes look bigger? i'm really short with a small head, and small eyes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~I believe that my life's gonna see the love I give returned to me!<3 XOXO Johnnay!
Morning Star
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

feel my chest when i look at you, baby you, you got my only heart.

suppose i said, you're my saving grace?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #133 on: December 15, 2005 01:32:26 PM »

mayerlove - GREAT tips. i'm definetly going to try that. i always have a problem sharpening my eyeliner.

i read in this make up book, to make your eyes look bigger, (and my small eyed friend uses this, too), you're supposed to only put eyeliner on the outside corners of your eyes. you're not supposed to put it all the way around, or on the inside bottom, by your tear ducts.
hope this helps! thanks for yours.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

-mayor west?
-how do you know my language?

i made an info blog for my swap partners.
http://mon-seul.livejournal.com/

i now have a wist list!

www.wists.com/morningstar
mayerlove
« Reply #134 on: December 15, 2005 01:39:01 PM »

i just learned the freezer tip yesterday, and it works so good! i dont think i'll ever sharpen my pencils w/o putting them in the freezer first!

It's funny you mention only lining the outsides of you eyes, b/c i do that! eyeliner all around makes me look like i have no eyes! thanks for the help!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

~I believe that my life's gonna see the love I give returned to me!<3 XOXO Johnnay!
creativecat
« Reply #135 on: December 18, 2005 07:18:48 AM »

i don't use face moisturizer that much, but when i do, i always use the clinque yellow lotion (i forget what it's called). i like it, though. but i don't know a whole lot about that stuff.

i have a problem with lotion. i can't put any on my legs, whether i just shaved them or not, because i break out. does anyone know if this is because i can't tolerate it, or i just have super super sensative skin? i used one lotion one time that didn't make me break out and itchy, but i can't remember what it is.

I have this problem too, but mostly on my hands.  I can't even use hypoallergenic lotion!  I think I'm allergic to some chemical in most lotion because I've never had a problem with all-natural lotions.  I also found pure Vitamin E oil at the grocery store which works well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
artsygal

Come see my yarns!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #136 on: December 19, 2005 06:51:26 PM »

I want to second.. third.. (forth? fifth? whatever number we're at) the idea of NOT washing your hair everyday. As a kid, I wasn't allowed to cut my hair - it was just a few inches above my knees, and I only washed it ONCE a week. I never once had greasy hair.

These days my hair varies between shoulder length and half way down to my waist (It grows very fast, so I keep changing the length of it every other cut it seems) .. When it's shorter, I wash it every 3 days, when it's longer, every 5 days. My reasoning is that my hair NEEDS the natural oils in it - otherwise it gets dry and flyaway. With longer hair, that oil produced in 5 days, as long as it is well distributed, still doesn't look greasy. With shorter hair, after 3 days it starts to look a little icky, but I CAN stretch it to 4 or even 5 days if I have to, with good brushing.

Yes.. brushing is very important. The old idea of 100 strokes a day is a bit much... but take a few minutes a day to give your hair a good brushing. Not long.. Heck, grab your hairbrush while you're sitting on the pot in the morning and brush until you're done.

Know your hair - I keep an eye on the ends of my hair and LOOK for splitends every couple of weeks. When I find more than one at a time, it's time for a cut. In my case, that's every 5 - 6 months. And each time I go in, the stylist tells me I've got some of the healthiest hair she's ever seen. If you're worried about your hair starting to look too shaggy if you wait that long between cuts - go to a GOOD stylist. My hair looks better 3 months after a good cut with a stylist at a salon than it does a week after a cut at somewhere like Supercuts. I feel like it's worth the expense because I go in much more rarely. When I used to go to Supercuts, I was in every 2 months because she was cutting my hair for how it looked THEN, not taking into consideration the fact that I have incredibly fast growing hair My stylist takes that into consideration and gives me a cut that will grow with me. I can't say enough good things about her! LOL!

For nails - when you file them.. for heavens sake, don't file the sides too much. That will just cause them to break easily. Keep the sides natural and curve or square the tips - whichever you prefer. Learn what's a comfortable length for your nails - some people can grow nice long nails naturally, while others can only grow them a certain length before they start chipping/breaking. Know your limits and keep your nails just below that length - you'll discover that you have way fewer broken nails that way Also - if you haven't started pushing your cuticles back or cutting them... DON'T DO IT! I've not done so once in my life and I barely have any cuticles to cut off. I just use a rich hand lotion and massage my nail beds regularly. THis also means you can give yourself mancicures a lot more easily - anyone can (with practice) file and paint their own nails. It's the whole cuticle bit that makes you need someone else do it for you.

Vary the lotion you use from season to season. In the summer I use a lighter lotion, in the winter I'll use something rich, and on days my skin feels extra dry, I'll pass the lotion for body butter and just slather it on. I even use massage oils on my skin istead of lotion sometimes for days that it feels super thirsty. Oh.. and apply the lotion while your skin is still a little damp from your shower. Lotion seems to absorb better that way.

To keep your feet nice and soft year round, go buy the biggest bottle of lotion you can  find at a dollar store. Doesn't matter what kind, just make sure you can tolerate the smell! Slather the stuff onto your feet - don't bother to rub it in... slather it on so your feet look like you're trying to frost them with butterream icing, and put on a pair (or 2) of socks and leave that way overnight. In the morning, give them a good scrubbing and all the once dry rough skin will just come right off. THEN... use the nice lotion.. the cheap stuff is just to soften the tough  stuff overnight.. even the cheapest stuff will work.

I'll stop now.. otherwise I'm sure I could come up with several more things I do. I keep my mother constantly amused by stuff like this. But she's tested every single one of them and agrees that it works.

J
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Handpaints by Artsygal - a collection of unique and inspired handpainted yarns - is now open for business! Visit www.artsygal.net to see my yarns for yourself!
ishy
« Reply #137 on: December 19, 2005 08:04:55 PM »

I just bought this stuff at Wal-Mart for $2.39 and it's AMAZING!  My hands have never been this soft! It smells just like lemon creme cookies!

http://www.watkinsonline.com/productDetail.cfm?product=1149
THIS ROCKS   Logged
lyrem591
That's Mrs. Daniel Radcliffe to you

you didn't see anything...

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: December 19, 2005 10:24:41 PM »

i'll have to remember that ishy!  For hands i use hemp from the body shop.  it takes a while to soak in, but is great if you wash dishes a lot or have chapped skin.  and then in between the intense moisture (hemp) i use the previously mentioned udder cream.  i've used it on my face before when i was up in the mountains.  but i only did that when my skin was SUPER dry, so i'm not sure how breakoutalicious it is. oh dear, making up words again.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"...thrashing around like a pair of eels all over the place..."--Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince
killer_threader
lord polly waffle

and unto them he said "borange"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #139 on: December 20, 2005 07:16:11 PM »

my doctor said that over washing your face is very bad worse than not washing it at all. I never wash my face anymore and it is virtually spot free. I wash it with just plain old water and thats enough. I also use a topical antibiotic occasionally it's called eryacne.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

and he said unto the people of the hills and valleys " and all ye who eat brunch shall be damned to hell" and unto the people of the plains and seas "ditto"
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14] 15 16 ... 27 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Pick a Swimsuit for a Pear Shaped Body
How to Pick a Swimsuit for a Full Bust
Style Tips to Transition Into Fall
Kate Moss Reunites with Topshop for New Collaboration
Celeb Style Secrets: Nina Dobrev
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...