A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 298,767
Currently Running With Scissors:
668 Guests and 17 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Beauty Secrets  (Read 50949 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

radiationbaby
Lady Marmalade, the Duchess of Spreadable Treats

Crafty McCraftypants

View Profile WWW
« Reply #240 on: December 18, 2007 08:03:01 PM »

i think most craft stores have glycerin (just make sure it's plain glycerin, safe for the face, etc.).  i personally recommend organic grocery stores for the rose water. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Oh, it's just kittens.

I want to leave this world the way I came into it:  naked, screaming, and covered in someone else's blood.

Mah Wists
http://www.wists.com/stardust_wings
bookstorebabe

Girl Genius! Kaja&Phil Foglio

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #241 on: December 19, 2007 04:09:34 PM »

I've found glycerin at the drugstore-Rite Aid had it in a little brown bottle,I forget which section. I have some rosewater I bought at a health food store once.I don't know if all health food stores would carry it.I believe it was near the soaps and perfumes.Good luck.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"If you're going to go for tech that doesn't exist,think Willy Wonka,not Hoover!" Firefairy@craftster
<a href="http://StudioLTD@etsy.com.>StudioLTD"</a>| Couponcode CRAFTSTER 10%
<a href=https://www.etsy.com/shop/HipsterHive?ref=shop_sugg>HipsterHive</a>|
http://www.pinterest.com/studioltd6
Miss World
« Reply #242 on: December 24, 2007 01:54:47 AM »

omg all those tips are wonderful... thank you everyone! I'll be back to share some of mine Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
black and white photo
« Reply #243 on: December 29, 2007 06:39:14 PM »

if you put mayo on dry hair and let it sit for a while then wash it out it gives you soooooo soft hair! it sounds really gross but it works!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
recondite
« Reply #244 on: December 30, 2007 10:01:59 AM »

some of the remedies on here are very interesting hmmm... well i am a licensed cosmetologist and i will let you in on what i do in general.

starting with the eyebrow tweezing:

yes, do it after you get out of the shower, it hurts way less.  pull your skin kinda tight (not extremely) and tweeze the hair out in the direction it grows.  when you do this the hair slides out and hurts alot less than just going to town on your brows.

As far as hair growth:
brushing your hair alot doesnt really do anything. however, using a bristle brush on your scalp does a ton of stimulation.  not only does it get blood flowing in your scalp, it removes product and skin buildup as well so hair can grow faster.  only do this once a week though.  using the entire nioxin system also makes your hair grow like crazy too (the nioxin system includes shampoo, conditioner and multi-vitamins).

Facial scars:
nothing you have a home can really get rid of scars.  if you catch the blemish early enough, you can use vitamin E on it.  for already exisisting scars, try seeing an esthitician for products.  if this isnt an option, go get some mineral oil free makeup (liquid foundation and loose powder).  when used in combination, these will provide full coverage without looking cakey.

Also, you can try tanning lotion (dont get the grocery store stuff cause its way way way orange).  get the mousse tanning stuff from sallys or ulta.  i like the brand "fake bake" if you can find it.  use gloves when applying and to ensure no streaking, apply regular lotion on top of it.  this is almost fool proof for no streaking.  be careful when using it on your face: start out with a very small amount and you will need to take the gloves off for your face.  ive noticed tanning lotion covers up alot of my face problems easily.

any other questions just feel free to ask and ill try to help anyone!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kellyhelene
I'd claim it was my magnetic personality, but really, that's just the steel.

you'll put your eye out

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #245 on: December 30, 2007 11:39:42 AM »

nothing you have a home can really get rid of scars. 

Actually, cocoa butter (not a lotion with it in there, but the real deal) does help to fade scars.  However, it may be a bit much for some people's faces, I know it causes breakouts on mine if I use it in the summer.  However, I had a nasty nasty surgical scar on my arm, and it was recommended by my orthopedic surgeon and physical therapist.  It didn't get rid of the scar (but we're talking major surgical scar, not tiny zit scar), but it did fade it a LOT, and it was a couple years after the surgery.

Those grocery scar patches supposedly work, but for me they were very drying, and made me itch like mad, so I only tried one for an hour or two before that thing went in the trash.  (I'm most likely allergic to the glue).
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Santclair

Clothing Texas one insane project at a time.

View Profile
« Reply #246 on: December 31, 2007 10:22:41 AM »

surprisingly enough, this book right here: http://www.klutz.com/catalog/product/1150

that I got when I was about 12 or so is the most useful damn thing I've ever found when it comes to DIY beauty. it has recipies for hair and face masks, soaks for feet, just about everything you could possibly want, all of which can be made with things you find in your own kitchen.

It really got me onto the miracle that is almond oil, though. It's gentle on my (ridiculously oversensitive) skin, moisturises without being disgusting and greasy, and when mixed with a bit of sea salt and some essential oil (one of my favorite recipes out of that book) makes one of the best effin' salt scrubs out there; you don't even need to moisturise afterwards.

recipe for body scrub:

1 cup fine sea salt (coarse is waaaaaay too abrasive and won't absorb the oil as well)
2-4 tablespoons almond oil
a few drops of your favorite essential oil (I am in love with both peppermint and lavender)

mix in a bowl til the salt is moist and clumping together. store in a tightly sealed jar (should last around 4 months). Put into a plastic bowl when you're gonna use it in the shower or bath; the mixture is slippery and oily and dropping glass in the bathtub is generally dangerous. rub the mixture onto your skinuntil the salt is mostly dissolved, then rinse. be careful on your face (should you decide to use it there, it's too harsh for that in my opinion)because it's hard to get salt out of your eyes. step out, towel off, marvel at your amazingly soft skin.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
SquishaySka77
« Reply #247 on: January 01, 2008 06:53:46 PM »

I, personally, swear by the little glove scrubbies.
ex:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51YRPYV00AL._AA280_.jpg

my grandma forced a purple one on me. and since it was purple, i decided to try it. it really does wonders. makes your face feel super-soft, and takes away all the dead skin cells. plus, i think it's done a wonder for my post-acne scars that i've had since i was about ten. (grr at acne, but at least by getting it so young i got rid of it early!)

i've also found that rubbing a wet toothbrush over your lips helps with the chappedness. takes away the dead skin.

:]
« Last Edit: January 03, 2008 02:55:05 PM by kategirl - Reason: Please do not hotlink to an image that you do not own » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Dream as if you'll live forever, Live as if you'll die today. -James Dean
dropoffradar

undercover superheroine.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #248 on: January 03, 2008 08:32:07 AM »

the girl above me is wise! i love exfoliating stuff and swear by it.

the other day (this might be common knowledge but i had no idea) i noticed that some brands sell the super-strong conditioner from hair dye boxes seperately now. i was excited! i love that condtioner. so for all those who didnt know, now you do.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i took a deep breath and listened to the old bray of my heart. i am. i am. i am.

i do personal swaps!

wists
last.fm
Speakaboo
« Reply #249 on: January 05, 2008 11:38:22 AM »

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned honey yet!  I use honey as a mask.  Spread it on (the liquidy stuff, not the hard stuff...I've tried that too, it's not as pleasant), hop into the bath, get a hot washcloth and drape it over your face, heating the washcloth under hot water every few minutes until you've eventually steamed all of the honey off of your face.  I have the dryest skin in the winter, and this works wonders.  It also seems to clear up problem skin.  Hmmm, I should really do a mask sometime today.

Another great find for dry skin is lanolin.  You can usually find it in the baby care isle under the brand name Lanisoh.  It's generally used for breastfeeding mothers in the early stages of breastfeeding when things can get, um, uncomfortable....but don't let that scare you!  I know plenty of people that keep a bottle in their purse for super dry skin.  I use it on eczema and it clears it up very quickly.  If I find myself with mega chapped lips, I'll put it on before bed and my lips are baby soft by morning.  Be warned, it's SUPER thick.  Think vasoline, but worse.  But I've never found a product that works better for dry skin and dry patches.  Hmm, I'm out of that, too!  I need to go shopping.  Grin

And I'll second (or third, or fourth) tea tree oil for the skin.  My skin looked its best when I was using the tea tree oil line they sell at The Body Shop.  When I visited a spa and had them do a facial and an analysis on my skin, they tried to sell me a line of products for $100-$200 per bottle.  I asked what was in the products (I have a lot of allergies) and they said the products were mainly made of tea tree oil.  So that's when I went out and found a much cheaper alternative at The Body Shop, and my skin was 100% clear and wonderful within a few weeks.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Peppermint Twist Baby Hat Part 5/15
How to Crochet a Peppermint Twist Baby Hat Part 13/15
How to Crochet a Peppermint Twist Baby Hat Part 3/15
How to Crochet a Peppermint Twist Baby Hat Part 14/15
How to Crochet a Peppermint Twist Baby Hat Part 4/15
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Dark Chocolate Bacon Pecan Pie
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...