A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November 17 News: WOW!  Congratulate the winner of DIY Halloween Costumes 2015!
Total Members: 313,039
Currently Running With Scissors:
547 Guests and 15 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: catharsis  (Read 7217 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« on: June 24, 2008 01:38:52 PM »

so, i have epic drama with my mother.  Undecided so much drama, abandonment from my perspective, massive dissapointment from hers. and between being born and being around 12, i never owned a single peice of not-sewn-by-her clothing. when she tried to teach me, any time i messed up a bit, she'd tell me to go away and she'd take over and fix it (completely ignoring that mistakes are the way you learn) so i associate sewing with her and all the angst we have.

the problem is, about 6 years ago, she became clinically depressed and 3 years ago she started losing her sight. so she's got about 85 packing boxes of fabric, all the supplies, and no will to use them. and i'm such a thrifty person the idea of tossing the fabric was killing me. so i decided to try again.

i used a pattern she drafted for me in 9th grade. i also tried to use her advice, but trying to talk her into coming into the sewing room was about as useful as trying to talk a rock into walking into the sewing room. i didn't know to prewash the fabric, i didn't know to turn it inside out before cutting, i didn't know how to thread a double needle, i didn't know how to do the collar. but in the end, i did it. and i'm gonna keep on doing it, and make myself a whole wardrobe.

and so... orange is the colour of pain, and this was emotionally painful, but i'm working through it, hence the title catharsis...

i'm also really happy because the second time i used the pattern i had to trim off 4 inches from the stomach. i've gotten thinner since high school!

I'm not attached to your world, nothing heals, nothing grows... we used to love ourselves, we used to love one another.

life is no cabaret- we don't care what you say, we're inviting you anyway, you mf'ers, you'll sing someday!
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008 01:56:16 PM »

We all heal from pain in weird ways.  You did a great job on that shirt, keep it up and I will look forward to seeing this new wardrobe!

B's Only Toots

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008 01:56:51 PM »

Great job! In ALL aspects, great job!

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2008 02:04:43 PM »

Sorry to hear about all the problems, but hopefully this is a good step on the way to sorting things out  Smiley I love the shirt! I hope you'll post other things you make too! Good luck!

...x... Measure Your Life In Love ...x...

where are we going? why are we in this handbasket?

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2008 02:29:01 PM »

can't wait to see more of your creations

the centuries are sprinkled with rare magic and divine creatures who help us get past the common and extraordinary ills that beset us

Favorite Craftster quote --
"Normal" is for chumps, suckers and saps. -TheMistressT
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2008 02:46:32 PM »

as long as you craft, you will never be bored.  There is such healing in creating, as you can lose yourself to it.  Keep up the good work, and also give your mom kudos for at least giving you the crafting gene, whether she knew how to encourage your tender tries or not.  She must be in a lot of emotional pain - perhaps one day this might help to bring you closer together.  Good luck with the new you!
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2008 03:24:01 PM »

My mom started me sewing when I was 5 or six years old.  My best friend at the time Penny and I made night gowns.  I would sew a step and she sewed a step.  However, I did not keep the interest till later in life.  I have problems reading patterns so I keep them simple.  But, every now and then I step out of the comfort zone.

My grandmother taught me to crochet.  I will never forget how she made me cry and ripped out my stitches and made me start all over.  However I love her and remember her everytime I pick up my needles.  To this day I crochet with her needles.  Before she past over she gave me all her yarn and needles.  I crochet over 50+ years of yarn into granny squares and made a afghan for her.  This being her last Christmas and my biggest project ever.  I have this afghan to this day.

So, with that said.  You do learn from mistakes and you try and remember all the Haas feelings.  But, later you realize those feelings will go away.  Everyone learns differently. 

You have one up on me.  I have to have a pattern.  You are designing your own from the beginning.  Kudos to U!!! Grin

I love the orange material.  It is something I would more then likely buy. Cool

I'm not the brightest crayon in the box.
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2008 03:49:21 PM »

i think this is a great post, and you're very brave for following through with everything.  you did an awesome job on the shirt, and i think that although orange may be the color of pain, this shade can definitely brighten someone's day (especially when wearing it).

crafting can definitely get frustrating, but materials are patient and will wait for you to figure them out (one way or another).  craftster is such an amazing website and people here are so supportive that if you ever have questions, someone will most likely have the answer.  in short, keep crafting and you'll find yourself happier with learning and creating (thus passing on the happiness to others!)  Smiley  have a great day, and again, good job and good luck with the future!

now selling name book/banners in my new etsy shop--check it out!:

friend me on facebook!
-Tanya [tawn-yuh]

clickity clack.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2008 04:04:16 PM »

you did a really great job on that! the neckline looks flawless, and i love that color. regardless of connotation.

Blog: Flour and Fleece

"On the contrary, it is you who are crazy to think that you are mighty because you can wound and destroy. That is the task of children. The mighty know how to create and heal."
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2008 10:36:36 AM »

I love sewing because you take something, completely chop it up and stab it with needles, and from the violent chaos comes something beautiful! It's GREAT therapy!

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Paint Trees
How to Paint Flowers
How to Select Your Graffiti Supplies
How to Sketch Hands
How to Sketch a Nose
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Asymmetric Cowl
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Felt Basket
Handmade Holiday Gift Guide: Kindling Bundle

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...