A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 296,649
Currently Running With Scissors:
695 Guests and 27 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: First garment: Suggested patterns from SnB?  (Read 1948 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

BlackBirdFlying
« on: February 09, 2005 03:32:43 PM »

So I'm going to start on my very first garment.  Having never made anything other then scarves and really basic stocking hats...which pattern from the SnB collection would you suggest?

I thought maybe the To Dye For sweater or the Tank Girl. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
GirlMadchen
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2005 05:43:04 PM »

you could also try the go everywhere cardi, or the cape mod poncho. I think al the other patterns are just a bit trickier. The cardi requires crochet skills though, but otherwise it's pretty simple.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.redsuedekitten. com

http://redsuedekitten.etsy.com - red suede kitten's etsy shop - for colourful, original felt jewelry

http://www.flickr.com/photos/redsuedekitten - my flickr page - lots of photos of my felt jewelry
brena80

She isn't real... I can't make her real

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2005 11:01:00 AM »

I'm trying Tank Girl as my first "non-accessory" knitting project.  I got the Goa yarn that the pattern suggested in this gorgous green off of Ebay for pretty cheap.  I'm so excited.  I'll post pictures when I'm done!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bryonyramsden
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2005 11:38:27 AM »

I hope this doesn't cause confusion, but I made the sack sweater as my first ever garment, and found it to be really easy.  I'd never cabled before, but I had a go on a swatch and really enjoyed it.  It knits up quick, so you'd be done before the weather warms up, is easy to substitute on the yarn for cheaper stuff/the sake of availability, and the cabling makes it a bit more interesting for such a big thing to make up.  I made it in two weeks, and it is my comfort jumper/poorly clothes jumper cos it is so cosy and lovely Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I am so boring I think people should be interested in me. 
www.bryonyramsden.c o.uk/wp - Library Girl Knits
Kaby
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2005 09:19:59 AM »

I'm in the middle of to-dye-for, as my First Jumper (yes, jumper, I live in the UK. I'm stubborn. And I knit with wool, too, ok?). It's great! I begun it on the 1st of Feb, and I'm on my second sleeve now. I only knit on public transport, so I'd say that makes it pretty quick to knit up. And you get to play with yummy mohair- mmmm! That said, I've heard it can grow alarmingly when it's done, so you might want to go for something a little more stable.
I vote to-dye-for!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

allisone

a plum, floating in perfume, served in a man's hat

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2005 05:09:42 PM »

I was just getting ready to dive into my first sweater (or jumper ... I'm easy to get along with Smiley ) as well. I was planning to do a to dye for. I'm game if you are!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Karl
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2005 08:27:56 PM »

I did 'under the hoodie' for my first sweater - there were a couple advanced-ish techniques, but with the SnB book I was able to learn them as I went and had a lot of fun with the sweater. The only thing I would warn you about would be to MEASURE BEFORE YOU START no matter what you do, so you end up with a sweater and not a crop-top. Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
katiewill

My beautiful baby girl

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2005 03:39:34 PM »

My hoodie was my 1st sweater (only having done some blankets and scarfs and things prior) and though the pocket shaping was hard to wrap my head around, I found it all quite manageable. I do wish I had measured better though so it were a bit longer and I wish I hadn't been a cheapskate about yarn since it's now too itchy to wear very often, especially while holding my baby. OH well! Live and learn!
Good luck with whatever you decide to do!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
grusinskaya
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2005 06:07:47 PM »

The Pinup girl sweater isn't that hard. The short rows are a bit tricky, but they're really quite easy once you get the swing of it. Besides, the short rows are only on one side of the sweater--the back is completely K2P2 ribbing with some minor shaping.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
djungelorms friend

staying sane through grad school by staying crafty

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2005 08:23:52 AM »

I did the SnB nation "Jesse's Flames" sweater in green Paton's Classic Wool for my first ever sweater this fall, and it turned out great.  I kept the ribbing pattern but skipped the intarsia and just did it solid color.  It's a really classic pullover, and my bf loves it.  As for my experience this is the first ever sweater I have ever ever finished in all my years of knitting.  No tears!  Highly recommended...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

have you hugged a moose today?
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Replace the Sky Part 1/2 - Shake 4.1
How to Replace the Sky Part 2/2 - Shake 4.1
How to Change Summer to Winter - Shake 4.1
How to Fix Jagged Edges - Shake 4.1
How to an Create Expression - Shake 4.1
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Teacup Bird Feeder
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...