A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
October 5th News Announcement:  New Featured Projects posted!  Congratulate these artists for being selected!
Total Members: 308,443
Currently Running With Scissors:
349 Guests and 1 User
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: First garment: Suggested patterns from SnB?  (Read 2472 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
« on: February 09, 2005 03:32:43 PM »

So I'm going to start on my very first garment.  Having never made anything other then scarves and really basic stocking hats...which pattern from the SnB collection would you suggest?

I thought maybe the To Dye For sweater or the Tank Girl. 
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2005 05:43:04 PM »

you could also try the go everywhere cardi, or the cape mod poncho. I think al the other patterns are just a bit trickier. The cardi requires crochet skills though, but otherwise it's pretty simple.

http://redsuedekitten.etsy.com - red suede kitten's etsy shop - for colourful, original felt jewelry

http://www.flickr.com/photos/redsuedekitten - my flickr page - lots of photos of my felt jewelry

She isn't real... I can't make her real

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2005 11:01:00 AM »

I'm trying Tank Girl as my first "non-accessory" knitting project.  I got the Goa yarn that the pattern suggested in this gorgous green off of Ebay for pretty cheap.  I'm so excited.  I'll post pictures when I'm done!

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2005 11:38:27 AM »

I hope this doesn't cause confusion, but I made the sack sweater as my first ever garment, and found it to be really easy.  I'd never cabled before, but I had a go on a swatch and really enjoyed it.  It knits up quick, so you'd be done before the weather warms up, is easy to substitute on the yarn for cheaper stuff/the sake of availability, and the cabling makes it a bit more interesting for such a big thing to make up.  I made it in two weeks, and it is my comfort jumper/poorly clothes jumper cos it is so cosy and lovely Smiley

I am so boring I think people should be interested in me. 
www.bryonyramsden.co.uk/wp - Library Girl Knits
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2005 09:19:59 AM »

I'm in the middle of to-dye-for, as my First Jumper (yes, jumper, I live in the UK. I'm stubborn. And I knit with wool, too, ok?). It's great! I begun it on the 1st of Feb, and I'm on my second sleeve now. I only knit on public transport, so I'd say that makes it pretty quick to knit up. And you get to play with yummy mohair- mmmm! That said, I've heard it can grow alarmingly when it's done, so you might want to go for something a little more stable.
I vote to-dye-for!

a plum, floating in perfume, served in a man's hat

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2005 05:09:42 PM »

I was just getting ready to dive into my first sweater (or jumper ... I'm easy to get along with Smiley ) as well. I was planning to do a to dye for. I'm game if you are!
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2005 08:27:56 PM »

I did 'under the hoodie' for my first sweater - there were a couple advanced-ish techniques, but with the SnB book I was able to learn them as I went and had a lot of fun with the sweater. The only thing I would warn you about would be to MEASURE BEFORE YOU START no matter what you do, so you end up with a sweater and not a crop-top. Tongue

My beautiful baby girl

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2005 03:39:34 PM »

My hoodie was my 1st sweater (only having done some blankets and scarfs and things prior) and though the pocket shaping was hard to wrap my head around, I found it all quite manageable. I do wish I had measured better though so it were a bit longer and I wish I hadn't been a cheapskate about yarn since it's now too itchy to wear very often, especially while holding my baby. OH well! Live and learn!
Good luck with whatever you decide to do!
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2005 06:07:47 PM »

The Pinup girl sweater isn't that hard. The short rows are a bit tricky, but they're really quite easy once you get the swing of it. Besides, the short rows are only on one side of the sweater--the back is completely K2P2 ribbing with some minor shaping.
djungelorms friend

staying sane through grad school by staying crafty

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2005 08:23:52 AM »

I did the SnB nation "Jesse's Flames" sweater in green Paton's Classic Wool for my first ever sweater this fall, and it turned out great.  I kept the ribbing pattern but skipped the intarsia and just did it solid color.  It's a really classic pullover, and my bf loves it.  As for my experience this is the first ever sweater I have ever ever finished in all my years of knitting.  No tears!  Highly recommended...

have you hugged a moose today?
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: No Sew Candy Costume
Awww, nuts...
Countdown to Halloween

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...