A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Joining an Organized Swap? Please review the rules and info on a regular basis.
Total Members: 304,868
Currently Running With Scissors:
462 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: how to paper piece a multiple-pieced pattern (image heavy!)  (Read 4165 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ofenjen
*dreams in fabric*

*dreams in fabric*

View Profile WWW
« on: June 24, 2008 11:16:36 AM »

Originally posted here, but I usually get asked about paper piecing whenever I post a new project here, so I thought I'd share my preferred method.  Smiley

I design all my own patterns.

To give you an idea as to how you can use paper pieced blocks, here are some projects I've posted on Craftster:

How To Paper Piece A Multiple Pieced Pattern

sample blocks
http://www.sewhooked.org/paper_piecing/img/paper_piecing/final/thumb_jar.jpg
http://www.sewhooked.org/paper_piecing/img/paper_piecing/final/thumb_jarv2.jpg
http://www.sewhooked.org/paper_piecing/img/paper_piecing/final/thumb_jarv3.jpg

Supplies

• pattern (Jar v.3 used in tutorial)
  • quilting fabric
  • neutral thread
  • paper scissors
  • fabric scissors
  • post card or thin straight edge
  • flat head pins
  • rotary cutter
  • rotary ruler
  • wall paper seam roller (available at home improvement stores - optional)

Not shown above:
  • cutting mat
  • dry iron
  • sewing machine
  • open toe foot
  • light source

Start by making a copy of the pattern you want to make. Use lightweight paper for your patterns, as it tears off easier. Recycled printer paper works well, as does tracing paper and some drawing papers. There are also a number of commercially available products just for paper piecing.

Choose fabrics you think will compliment the pattern. Always use good quality 100% cotton quilting fabric.

Starting with pattern piece "A," use the post card as a straight edge, fold the pattern piece on the line between 1 and 2. This is your stitching line.

Repeat for the line between 1 and 3.

Place fabric 1 right side up on back of the paper opposite piece 1 (use a light source behind the pattern if you need it to make sure the fabric is big enough). Make sure you have a generous seam allowance (approximately 1/2") all around.

Flip the pattern over

Place fabric 2 wrong side up on fabric 1. Make sure to slide both pieces of fabric 1/4 past the stitching line.

Using a small stitch (10-12 stitches per inch), start two stitches before the stitching line, stitch along the line and take two stitches after the end. By stitching slightly pass the line, it is less likely that the ends the stitches will pull out when the paper is removed.

Trim thread to paper.

Fold fabric two out. Gently dry press with an iron OR use the wall paper seam roller (shown) to press out the seam. Be careful not to pull or tug on the fabric.

Fold on the 1 > 3 line. Keep the paper folded then flip the pattern over. Trim a generous 1/4" from piece 1.

Unfold the paper. Place fabric 3 wrong side up on fabric 1. Make sure to slide both pieces of fabric 1/4 past the stitching line.

Repeat stitching as for line 1 > 2.

Press as before.

Trim fabric around pattern piece, leaving a generous amount for squaring up later.

Press pattern piece "A" with a gentle up and down motion usiing a dry iron. Do not pull or tug the fabric.

Now for pattern piece "B."

Using the postcard or straight edge, fold down the lines between section 1 > 2 and 1 > 3.

Trim a generous 1/4" seam allowance for piece 1 >2. Repeat for 1 > 3.

Just as for pattern piece "A," place fabric 1 right side up on back of the paper opposite piece 1. Make sure you have a generous seam allowance (approximately 1/2") all around.

Stitch on the line between piece 1 > 2 as in previous steps. Repeat for pieces 1 > 3.

Press out seams as before.

Trim fabric, leaving a generous seam allowance for squaring up later.

Press as before.

This is what you should have so far.

On your cutting mat and with your ruler, find the blue line on piece "B."  (note - blue lines are specific to my patterns and indicated inside seams.)

Cut 1/4" from blue line.  (note:   Not all paper pieced patterns include seam allowance.  All of my patterns do, but if you're ever working on a pattern without seam allowance, it's important to not forget that and accidentally trim off too much!)

Find the blue line on piece "A" and repeat the process.

Now the "A" pattern piece is ready to join to the "B" pattern piece.

Use a pin to find the outside corner at the end of a blue line. Push the pin through this point.

Find the corresponding point on the other pattern piece. Push the pin through.

Push the pin all the way through to line up the pattern pieces.

Using the pin keep the pattern aligned, stitch along the blue line.

This is what you have now.

Remove the paper seam allowance that was just stitched on the "A" piece.

Repeat for the "B" piece.

Open the block and press as before.

Now you have this from the front.

And you have this from the back.

Time to square up the block! Find the blue line on one side (for more complicated patterns, find the straightest line).

Cut 1/4" from the blue line.

Using the first cut, square up the block to 5 1/2". If the pattern is a little off, go with the ruler's measurement and not the seam allowance on the pattern.

Now you have this...all squared up! Leave the paper attached until the block is in it's final location. That will keep the bias seams from stretching.

From the front.

Finished block, 5" (shown without seam allowance). Use this block for quilts, pillows, bags, pot holders, wall hangings or anywhere else you'd use a square of fabric or a quilt block!
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013 09:39:01 AM by jungrrl - Reason: changed non-working images to links. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sewhooked - quilt patterns, crochet & crafts
Fandom In Stitches - free multi-fandom quilt patterns by fans for fans (Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Doctor Who, Disney & More!)
FlashleyAshley

mashley forever

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008 10:13:17 PM »

hmmm, I think I've been doing paper piecing backwards!
I always put the fabric on the front of the paper and follow the lines through the back of the paper. Your way seems a lot easier to do rather than squining to see through the paper  Tongue

and kudos to you for doing such a detailed tutorial. Hopefully it gives some encouragement to people to try out quilting. It seems like a lot of people want to try but think it's too complicated to learn.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.ohthatashley.blogspot.com
I'm working on getting my blog up, check it out! Smiley
ofenjen
*dreams in fabric*

*dreams in fabric*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2008 08:54:44 AM »

hmmm, I think I've been doing paper piecing backwards!
I always put the fabric on the front of the paper and follow the lines through the back of the paper. Your way seems a lot easier to do rather than squining to see through the paper  Tongue

and kudos to you for doing such a detailed tutorial. Hopefully it gives some encouragement to people to try out quilting. It seems like a lot of people want to try but think it's too complicated to learn.

Definitely try it with your lines on the front...much easier!

I would have loved a detail tutorial when I started, which is part of what inspired me to post this one.  I learned from a book and there were so many dos and don'ts and special tools, etc, that I was a bit intimidated.  Once I learned, I started trying different things to make it easier and faster.  A lot of that is in this tutorial, too.

I hope it does encourage people to try it!  There are a lot of steps, but it's not really hard once you figure those out....and there are so many good patterns out there to try!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Fandom In Stitches - free multi-fandom quilt patterns by fans for fans (Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, Doctor Who, Disney & More!)
indigo_roses
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2008 05:01:07 PM »

Yay! I've been lurking on your LJ group for about a month. I also just got a sewing machine in the beginning of the month. I think that I'm off to find one of your easier patterns and try it out!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest
50 in 2013 18/50

Taking a break from swapping to focus on crafting for myself, friends, and charity
ofenjen
*dreams in fabric*

*dreams in fabric*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2008 07:11:43 PM »

Yay! I've been lurking on your LJ group for about a month. I also just got a sewing machine in the beginning of the month. I think that I'm off to find one of your easier patterns and try it out!

Oh, hey, that's fantastic!  Please let me know how it goes.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

TwistedTextiles

Superwoman-in-training

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2008 07:43:41 PM »

That is a great tutorial! 
I'm going to have to bookmark it so that I can go back and read it again...
when I'm not so sleepy.  I have to really *focus* when I'm learning stuff like this!

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.twistedtextiles.com  <----My artistic ramblings (and gallery)
www.etsy.com/shop/twistedtextiles  <-----Etsy Shop
indigo_roses
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2008 08:04:23 PM »

I tried this for the first time tonight! I kept making stupid mistakes though, so I decided that I would call it a night and try again when I'm not tired. I understood the directions and all, I just kept sewing through the wrong fabric and stupid stuff like that . Roll Eyes That is why you shouldn't sew at 10:30 at night when you got up at 6 that morning.  Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest
50 in 2013 18/50

Taking a break from swapping to focus on crafting for myself, friends, and charity
ofenjen
*dreams in fabric*

*dreams in fabric*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2008 08:32:28 PM »

That is a great tutorial! 
I'm going to have to bookmark it so that I can go back and read it again...
when I'm not so sleepy.  I have to really *focus* when I'm learning stuff like this!

Thanks!

Thank you!  I hope you do give it a try.  I'd love some feedback on how it is to follow.  You know how it is when you do something over and over and sometimes a little details slips through.

I tried this for the first time tonight! I kept making stupid mistakes though, so I decided that I would call it a night and try again when I'm not tired. I understood the directions and all, I just kept sewing through the wrong fabric and stupid stuff like that . Roll Eyes That is why you shouldn't sew at 10:30 at night when you got up at 6 that morning.  Tongue

That's how I always know it's time to stop!  Ripping apart a paper pieced pattern is not fun (that is when tape is your friend!).  I hope you try again and let me know how it goes.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

indigo_roses
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2008 08:05:06 PM »

I love the crafting adrenaline rush you get when you finally get something right after messing it up lots of times. I think I had to print out the pattern 5 times!  Angry But, tonight I decided to try again (after messing piece A up again) and start with piece B. Lo and behold, it worked! I just had a mental block with that one piece. So, now I have A and B completed, and just have to put them together!  Cheesy Of course, my sewing machine and all of my sewing stuff is underneath the loft where my mom sleeps, and she wanted to go to bed.  Sad bI'm thiiiiiiiis close! So, tomorrow I shall have a picture!  Smiley *ends ramble*

Here it is! It's a little wonky, because I didn't line it up correctly when I pieced the two final parts together. I put the pin through the corners, but they didn't want to stay together. I also need to work on making sure my pieces are big enough seam allowance wise. But, for only having a sewing machine for about a month and a half, I'm pretty proud of myself!

« Last Edit: July 19, 2008 09:45:11 AM by indigo_roses - Reason: picture! » THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Pinterest
50 in 2013 18/50

ofenjen
*dreams in fabric*

*dreams in fabric*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2008 11:37:40 AM »

I love the crafting adrenaline rush you get when you finally get something right after messing it up lots of times. I think I had to print out the pattern 5 times!  Angry But, tonight I decided to try again (after messing piece A up again) and start with piece B. Lo and behold, it worked! I just had a mental block with that one piece. So, now I have A and B completed, and just have to put them together!  Cheesy Of course, my sewing machine and all of my sewing stuff is underneath the loft where my mom sleeps, and she wanted to go to bed.  Sad bI'm thiiiiiiiis close! So, tomorrow I shall have a picture!  Smiley *ends ramble*

Here it is! It's a little wonky, because I didn't line it up correctly when I pieced the two final parts together. I put the pin through the corners, but they didn't want to stay together. I also need to work on making sure my pieces are big enough seam allowance wise. But, for only having a sewing machine for about a month and a half, I'm pretty proud of myself!

Yay for perseverance!  I'm so glad you stuck with it.  It looks great and your fabrics are perfect.  The background...wow!  Flying in the rain. Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Choose Crochet Projects
How to Choose Crochet Patterns
How to Choose a Filet Crochet Pattern
How to Buy Crochet Supplies
How to Add Crochet Embellishments to Clothing
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Easy Tile Coasters
Tute Tuesday: Scrabble Afghan
These Are a Few of My Favorite (Spooky!) Things

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...