A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,023
Currently Running With Scissors:
354 Guests and 6 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: dad's b-day present  (Read 4269 times)
Tags for this thread: bottle_cap  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

doe_eyes
« on: August 10, 2007 10:13:55 PM »

i racked my brain for weeks trying to come up with something for my dad. he has almost everything golf, he doesn't really read much in the summer, mom got him clothes, he's not into something that just sits around....

so i came up with this for his poker nights at the house!
bottlecap tray!!

this was my first resin project, and what i should have done is glued down the caps first - i had to sit there for half an hour with a gas mask over my face and a stick, pushing them back down and blowing out the bubbles as the resin settled. all in all i'm so happy with how it turned out!
thanks for looking!
« Last Edit: September 06, 2007 08:13:49 PM by doe_eyes » THIS ROCKS   Logged

i'm just a girl, doin' my own thing
shastaw2006
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2007 10:17:36 PM »

Thats so cool! I want to learn to work with resin.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gammerus

Optimus prime owns you

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2007 11:29:28 PM »

I have been dying to work with resin, any tips?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

doe_eyes
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2007 07:30:11 AM »

I have been dying to work with resin, any tips?

sure - work in a well ventilated area, but don't have a an directly on your work. wear a mask if you can; it doesn't help much but anything is better tahn breathing raw resin! i technically don't know how to embed stuff, you might want to pour first, then set your items in before the resin sets (that'll prevent air bubbles). otherwise if you're filling an object like i did, glue your items down first!!! hope this helps.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

locamama
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2007 07:59:43 AM »

It came out great.  It's so hard to come up with manly crafty gifts.  Girly stuff, I can do all day long.  You're dad looks thrilled with it btw.  good job.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
econolines r 4 girls

yuppy girls can't pull this off

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2007 06:37:36 PM »

that is really cool, nice job... another question (i have never even been on this subject/forum before!!! wow...) is resin expensive? and is it too terribley messy to work with?

again, really nice job!!! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

*go vegan*
for YOU, for ANIMALS, for EARTH
doe_eyes
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2007 06:50:14 PM »

yes, unfortunately resin is expensive. if you're doing a smaller project, and you have a hobby lobby in town, i would suggest waiting until their website has a 40% off coupon and get it then. if you're going for a larger project like mine, i hear home depot has a quart of "famowood" resin for about $15, and menards has some (different brand) for $18.99
it's not that hard to work with, it just stinks, and you need a clean place to let it set. and glue stuff down first! (or embed it immediately after you pour!)
hope that helps!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

xx_Kellybean
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2007 07:03:17 PM »

for all you people interested in resin, there's a huge thread about it already. (just to help out doe_eyes with all the questions she'll be getting)

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=10667.0

granted it's 45 pages worth already, i'm sure you'll be able to find the answers to your questions. and if not, i'm sure there are people there willing to help you out.

and doe_eyes, that's an awesome first try! I still haven't done anything but bottlecaps and some molded pendants. Lovely work!! and great idea for your dad.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

bunnyrabbit

will trade craft supplies for yarn!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2008 02:39:18 PM »

i made one too! my wal-mart had trays just like that one, and i decided to make one for my guy-friend. i stained it, glued down the caps (took like ten hot-glue sticks) as advised, but sorry to say it didn't really work. i mixed and poured the resin and they started to come unglued! so i sat there with my mask and punched out air bubbles for what seemed like ever.
eventually it turned out ok!

aside from floating caps, i had a MAJOR problem with resin leaking. i had big, newspaper-lined resin tabs on every corner. a combination of whittling, sanding, and re-staining took care of it though.
he loved it! thanks for the idea doe_eyes!!
« Last Edit: December 23, 2008 06:10:47 PM by bunnyrabbit » THIS ROCKS   Logged

I need to get rid of stuff!! i have soap kits, bath salt kits, lip balm kits, plain canvas tote bags, fabric paints, and other stuff i'm trying to clean out. It'd be cool to swap for yarn, but i'll give it away FREE! PM me if you're interested!!!
spotnik
Where did I put my pliers this time???

It's my cheese!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2008 06:26:13 PM »

I love it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Write Scripts in Hollywood
The State of American Screenwriting
How Film Contributed to the American Identity
The Globalization of Hollywood
Making Futurist Films
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes
Meatless Monday: No Meat Lasagna

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...