A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
News 05/06/14: Craftster has gone mobile!  Read the big news here!
Total Members: 297,722
Currently Running With Scissors:
649 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Bunch of Doilies  (Read 1275 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Selune
Plays with yarn.

View Profile
« on: June 23, 2008 10:42:18 PM »

I was on a doily kick for a while. Now I've moved on to potholders. Guess I needed the instant gratification of little easy potholders. Anyway, here are a few doilies. The third one is the one I'm most proud of. It's very heavily textured. The second doily pictured (with the little hearts) was a free one online but I modified it a little because the directions were wonky.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rhianoran
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008 12:44:41 AM »

Pretty; inspiration for me to make a few.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tina522
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008 05:16:24 AM »

Wow!  Very impressive.  I love your doilies and what a great selection.  Tlhanks for sharing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Teresa_T
Without Cats I'm Nothing

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2008 02:03:39 PM »

Those are amazing and gorgeous. I can't make anything bigger than a small flower or motif with thread crochet. You have wonderful talent and patience.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
hawtmamah
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2008 04:36:36 PM »

those are beautiful! i did my first doily a few days ago and am hooked- i hope my next set turns out as great as yours!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kleinsch
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2008 08:13:03 AM »

Pretty!!  I love the geometry and the symmetry. Did you starch and block them?  Any tips on that process?

I am working on my first size 10 thread doily, and haven't yet tried blocking any of my earlier practice doilies.  All the directions I find say to use "rust proof" needles for blocking; anyone have an idea which pins on the market are actually rust-proof?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The more children are valued, the better their values will be.
rainbowridergrma
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2008 01:41:02 PM »

Wow!  Your doilies are incredibly beautiful.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kayhook
« Reply #7 on: June 29, 2008 07:34:27 AM »

These are all gorgeous and impressive.  I've made my share of doilies in my day, so I really can appreciate the time and effort that goes into making some lovely ones such as these.  The third and 5th ones are my favorite! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life is too short to refrain from eating jam out of the jar.
http://last.fm/user/heartofaharmony
judypudy
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2008 03:19:18 PM »

all your doilies are beautiful. great job. keep up the great work.

judy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Selune
Plays with yarn.

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2008 08:03:34 PM »

Thanks for the comments.

As for blocking and starching, I don't starch my doilies because of potential damage to surfaces they may be placed on if they happen to get wet. I've never had a need to starch. Once you've blocked the wet doily, when it dries, it keeps its shape just fine (even the 3D ones). For blocking, due to size, most of the time I can get away with using the back a modular carpet tile. The backs reseal themselves pretty well. If it's a really large doily, I use a big sheet of polystyrene insulation board (you can usually find large scraps in the dump bins at residential construction sites). For pins, I use stainless steel dissection pins. Sometimes I'll just use regular office supply t-pins, but those aren't stainless, so I have to keep an eye out for rust.

Rust-proof pins are stainless steel. What you don't generally want are nickel-plated steel pins as those will rust once the nickel plating starts to come off due to repeated use. If you're not going to use them to death, those are OK to use and quite cheap, but I prefer not to worry about it and just get stainless. I personally like t-pins over the round heads, easier for me to maneuver, so I get dissection pins. I bought mine from http://www.workshopplus.com/productcart/pc/viewPrd.asp?idcategory=0&idproduct=1052.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Pick Out Boots for Fall
Verena Von Pfetten: Fashion Expert
How to Wear Stylish Belts
How to Wear Scarves in New York
How to Wear Wellies
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Manicure for Halloween
"Z" is for Zombie!
Meatless Monday: Honey Roasted Parsnip Soup

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...