A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 296,608
Currently Running With Scissors:
710 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: ~*~*Reviews of Prepackaged Vegetarian and Vegan Foods*~*~  (Read 19752 times)
Tags for this thread: salad  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Bela-Kiss
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2008 09:43:54 PM »

Green Giant has this new product. I forget the name. But anyway. $1.99 at Kroger in the freezer beside steamfresh vegetables.
The one I had was 'healthy weight'. It had edamme beans, black beans, and corn in it. I think something else, not sure. But the were yummy.
Easy to find I am sure. If I remember the full name I will post it.
Anywho-The veggies go in the microwave for like 3 minutes and come out crisp and yummy. Plus lots of protein and fiber.

Also, Morningstars new Southwestern style veggie cakes are delicous. Only like $3, yummy...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
missmuffcake

Attached to Matt with E600.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2008 09:54:15 PM »

Also, in response to missmuffcake's mention of soyrizo, I really liked the taste but the texture drove me nuts (maybe ours was bad or something). It was really mushy and disgusting even though I followed the cooking directions.

You have to fry it up to get the crunch to it. I fry sliced potatoes in earth balance with a lid over the pan for 10-15 minutes, then take the lid off and flip the potatoes and fry for a few more minutes, then add the soyrizo and mix and cook for 10 minutes. It has never been mushy for me, maybe yours was bad!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There's more to life than books you know
                But not much more
Kristen81
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2008 11:53:42 PM »

I have a question...if it's ok to ask....

If one is a vegetarian what would the appeal be of something that looks like/tastes like/smells like meat?

I mean...isn't the point to NOT eat meat...I mean, it it looks/tastes/smells like meat...why not just eat meat?

I know about all the moral issues involved that would cause a person who might like meat not to eat it and thus want a substitute but wouldn't they find something exactly like meat to be just as repulsive...

I'm sorry....just trying to understand  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

WISTS!!!!      http://wists.com/KraftyKris

CHECK OUT MY SWAP BLOG:  http://kristen81.blog.ca/

WHAT'S FOR DINNER? - Recipe Blog!!!  http://kristenskitchen.blog.ca
Star217
« Reply #13 on: June 25, 2008 07:56:00 AM »

I might be biased because I used to work for them a long time ago but Dr. Praegers veggie burgers (all varieties) are out of this world yummy, and they don't try to make them taste like meat. My fav is the tex-mex with corn and black beans mixed in I love it with salsa and some cheese on top. Their "burgers" are actually a veggie patty that's packed with all sorts of good for your veggies and the calorie count is low. I also like their potato and broccoli pancakes (not a bit fan of the spinach pancakes but that's cause I don't like cooked spinach)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Unable to leave good enough alone!
My Store
http://stickyfingers.etsy.com

My Blog
http://stickyfingerscrafts.blogspot.com
mrgrita
« Reply #14 on: June 25, 2008 08:28:15 AM »

Uncle Eddies Vegan Cookies- Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip
-Vegan
-about $5/bag in the local grocery $6/bag at Amazon.com and totally worth it!
-12/5 stars
-very possibly the best cookies I've ever eaten... and I've eaten a lot of cookies:)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Bela-Kiss
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2008 08:38:03 PM »

If one is a vegetarian what would the appeal be of something that looks like/tastes like/smells like meat?

I mean...isn't the point to NOT eat meat...I mean, it it looks/tastes/smells like meat...why not just eat meat?

I know about all the moral issues involved that would cause a person who might like meat not to eat it and thus want a substitute but wouldn't they find something exactly like meat to be just as repulsive...

I completely understand what you are saying.
Personally, I find that there is a difference between a 'substitute' and 'fo-meat'.  If a product tries to hard to imitate meat, it is still disgusting.
One reason I believe that a person would eat 'fake meat' is for health reasons. Like someone who is trying to lose weight eatin fake bacon as opposed to the real thing. Personally I just can't eat something that I couldn't kill myself. It disgusts me. So if I can find an alternative that isn't an animal but doesn't always make me stand out, then I am all for it. Like a a bbq or something. My fake burger can just be cooked and nothing more will be said.
I hope I have honestly explained my personal opinion clearly.  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
serendipity3_82
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2008 10:15:05 PM »

I'm usually grossed out by faux deli meat, however, there's this company based out here in Seattle that's called Field Roast and you can find their products in some of the area grocery stores.  OMG, it's really, really good.  It doesn't taste like meat, but still has a nice texture and that nice umami flavor.  I like it in the rueben style with some Field Roast slices on rye with sauerkraut, swiss, and thousand island dressing.  I don't eat it very often, but when I do...sooooo good.

Um, there's some seitan based jerky called 'Primal Strips' that are tasty.  It's my vegetarian version of gas station food...it's great for car trips.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
rockindancer86

$2.99 a gallon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2008 11:08:10 PM »

Totally valid point (and I think Bela-Kiss explained pretty well). Fake meats and substitutes can be good when you're transitioning. After six months, I still love Quorn chick'n nuggets. But I'm planning on eventually not using that type of thing, or limiting them. And they don't taste exactly like chicken, which might be why I like them: I can tell while eating them that it's not real meat.

As for things like veggie burgers, I don't consider them a fake burger, I consider them their own food outright.

I guess my point is if something is trying really hard to be like meat, it's probably not good (because as you said, the point is to avoid meat). But if it's good on its own, regardless of what it's supposed to mimic, they why not eat it? As long as you don't try to live off chick'n nuggets and veggie burgers or something... Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life-in-Japan, crafts, musings, etc blog here: "Gooooo Japan!" at http://www.rockindancer86.blogspot.com

Excuse me, Mister Pete, have the Cubans a different beat? If they have will you teach me to chick-chick-chicky-boom, chick-chicky-boom?
missmuffcake

Attached to Matt with E600.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2008 11:14:14 PM »

I'm usually grossed out by faux deli meat, however, there's this company based out here in Seattle that's called Field Roast and you can find their products in some of the area grocery stores.  OMG, it's really, really good. 

I love FR, I have not had it in ages though! I cannot find it around here any more.

As for fake meat, I like texture...I do not like the to real stuff, like Tofurky makes my belly ill. Even if I ate meat chorizo would not be something on my plate!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There's more to life than books you know
                But not much more
snappity-snap
« Reply #19 on: June 26, 2008 11:24:46 AM »

-morningstar veggie bites (artichoke and spinach filling)
-vegetarian, but not vegan (has mozzarella cheese in it)
-3 per box on sale at Safeway!
- 5/5 stars, without a doubt.

These taste soooooooo good. They're pretty big, so about three or 3 or 4 pieces make a solid meal. Highly recommended.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2008 10:27:27 AM by snappity-snap » THIS ROCKS   Logged

For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb.    Psalm 139:13
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Crochet a Simple Baby Sweater Part 17/28
How to Crochet a Simple Baby Sweater Part 15/28
How to Crochet a Simple Baby Sweater Part 12/28
How to Crochet a Simple Baby Sweater Part 13/28
How to Crochet a Simple Baby Sweater Part 1/28
Latest Blog Articles
Winner of Craft Challenge #100-Pottermouth
July 23, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...