A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Need help? Click the HELP link at the top of the screen to read the docs or ask at the Help Desk.
Total Members: 297,163
Currently Running With Scissors:
430 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: ~*~*Reviews of Prepackaged Vegetarian and Vegan Foods*~*~  (Read 20112 times)
Tags for this thread: salad  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

snappity-snap
« on: June 23, 2008 10:41:28 PM »

I thought this would be a fun idea. I've recently decided to do a "trial run" with vegetarianism because I'm opposed to factory farming. Anyway, I'm too busy to cook a lot of the time, so I've been trying a lot of prepackaged/ready-made/frozen vegetarian and vegan foods.  I will post reviews and hopefully you will do the same!  Cheesy We can all learn from each other and know which products are worth buying.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb.    Psalm 139:13
snappity-snap
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008 10:49:57 PM »

Okay, I'll start it off Smiley

[

-Amy's Palak Paneer (Indian Creamed Spinach and Cheese with Rice and Rajma Dal)
-Vegetarian, but not vegan
-Price: $1.99 at Target!
-Amy's says: "Smooth, creamy palak paneer, made from organic spinach and soft Indian cheese, is lightly spiced with authentic Indian herbs and spices. Rajmah dal, made from organic red kidney beans in a ginger-garlic sauce and tender

-3/5 stars

The spinach and cheese was good flavorwise, but the texture was a little TOO creamy. It was almost like baby food. The beans were way too gingery and the rice was dry. It wasn't good enough to make me want to buy it again, but it wasn't the worst I've ever had.

hope this helped! please add your input! Smiley

« Last Edit: June 27, 2008 10:21:56 AM by snappity-snap » THIS ROCKS   Logged

For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb.    Psalm 139:13
snappity-snap
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2008 11:19:39 PM »

-Trader Joe's Beefless Strips-vegan
-price-under $3
-0/5 stars Embarrassed

These were bad from the start. When I opened the package, the disgusting smell was the first thing I noticed. It smelled like wet dog food!  Tongue I decided to risk it and zapped it in the microwave. The spices used on the texturized soy protein was nice, but the item itself was horrible. Let's just say it wasn't a pleasant experience.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2008 10:23:01 AM by snappity-snap » THIS ROCKS   Logged

missmuffcake

Spicy but sweet!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2008 12:29:46 AM »

Soyrizo - $3.50: I really love it fried with potatoes topped with a bit of salsa.
Amy's soups - $3 a can: pretty much all taste the same to me but can be tasty when it is cold out or you want comfort food.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There's more to life than books you know
                But not much more
rockindancer86

$2.99 a gallon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2008 12:32:38 AM »

-Tasty Bite Indian Gourmet (I think that's the full name)
-I'd give most of them a 3 out of 5.
-I don't have any particular one in mind (the only name of one I remember is Palak Paneer, I think spinach and cheese). They have vegetarian and vegan options. Some of them are a little watery once they're cooked, but they're good in a pinch over some rice.
-I think most of them are about $3.99.

Also, in response to missmuffcake's mention of soyrizo, I really liked the taste but the texture drove me nuts (maybe ours was bad or something). It was really mushy and disgusting even though I followed the cooking directions.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life-in-Japan, crafts, musings, etc blog here: "Gooooo Japan!" at http://www.rockindancer86.blogspot.com

Excuse me, Mister Pete, have the Cubans a different beat? If they have will you teach me to chick-chick-chicky-boom, chick-chicky-boom?
Love1217
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2008 06:54:48 AM »

I loooove Quorn frozen products.  All of their products are meat free and I believe they are all soy free as well!  They have everything from "meat" balls to "chicken" cutlets to a "turkey" roast.  Everything has great texture, taste, and looks appealing.  I like to use the cutlets in any recipe that requires chicken.  They are also great on the grill will some bbq sauce!  Here's the website with a list of all their products, recipes, and a store locator! Smiley 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
snappity-snap
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2008 12:12:11 PM »

I loooove Quorn frozen products.  All of their products are meat free and I believe they are all soy free as well!  They have everything from "meat" balls to "chicken" cutlets to a "turkey" roast.  Everything has great texture, taste, and looks appealing.  I like to use the cutlets in any recipe that requires chicken.  They are also great on the grill will some bbq sauce!  Here's the website with a list of all their products, recipes, and a store locator! Smiley 

Interesting! so are they made of corn? just a guess... Wink
i would love to see the website.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

snappity-snap
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2008 12:18:01 PM »

Annie Chun's Teriyaki Noodle Bowl
-about $2-3 at trader joe's
-vegan Smiley
-3/5 stars

I had these for lunch today. They were easy to prepare (just zap in the microwave for 2 minutes) and had okay flavor. However, the flavor was lacking and tasted sour as opposed to the lightly sweet teriyaki flavor I'm used to finding in authentic Japanese food. Wouldn't buy again.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2008 10:23:56 AM by snappity-snap » THIS ROCKS   Logged

snappity-snap
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2008 12:25:33 PM »

Trader Joe's Chickenless Nuggets
-Vegetarian
-under $3 @ Trader Joe's
-1.5/5 stars

These are basically soy protein nuggets. They look like real chicken nuggets. I tried them both baked and microwaved. The microwaved version was too mushy, as many faux-meats can be, but once baked it got a little firmer. Flavorwise, it was just okay. It had the weird overly soyish flavor, but with some gravy it was tolerable. I wouldn't buy it again.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2008 10:27:59 AM by snappity-snap » THIS ROCKS   Logged

rockindancer86

$2.99 a gallon

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2008 08:45:01 PM »

Quorn chick'n nuggets are wonderful! Of course that might be the ketchup, but I doubt it. I haven't tried their other things, but I second your vote for them Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life-in-Japan, crafts, musings, etc blog here: "Gooooo Japan!" at http://www.rockindancer86.blogspot.com

Excuse me, Mister Pete, have the Cubans a different beat? If they have will you teach me to chick-chick-chicky-boom, chick-chicky-boom?
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create a Bib Necklace
Farm Themed Crafts Using Stencils
Decoupage Crafts and Techniques: Fabric to Fabric
Decoupage Crafts and Techniques: Fabric to Fabric Waterproof Finish
How to Etch a Monogram on Glass
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...