A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 297,561
Currently Running With Scissors:
396 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: ~*~*Reviews of Prepackaged Vegetarian and Vegan Foods*~*~  (Read 20273 times)
Tags for this thread: salad  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Miss Violaceous

Condones Flashing

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #40 on: July 07, 2008 05:05:34 AM »

My oh-my-gosh-I'm-so-happy! discovery of the week is Veggie Booty, made by the same people who make Pirate Booty, Robert's American Gourmet.  One of the things I knew would tempt me away from sticking to the whole vegan thing in my weaker moments was Pirate Booty.  I love that stuff, and it has become a favorite comfort food. 

So I was thrilled and skeptical both earlier this week when I happened upon "Veggie Booty" on my local grocery store's "discontinued items" shelf.  Apparently they accidentally got a box with their usual order of Pirate's Booty.  Anyway, I bought a bag to try.  It looked really weird... like green popcorn... but it tastes great and the texture, which was my favorite thing about Pirate's Booty, is exactly right. 

Veggie Booty = good snackfoodiness!

Seek out and eat Tings. Order them online if you can't get them locally. It's by the same company. Cheetos for vegans, with a salty nutritional yeast seasoning.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

snappity-snap
« Reply #41 on: July 07, 2008 11:01:03 AM »

Yes, Veggie Booty wins.
I've never heard of tings.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb.    Psalm 139:13
mrgrita
« Reply #42 on: July 07, 2008 02:55:58 PM »

Veggie Booty = good snackfoodiness!
Veggie booty is delightfully addictive.  If we go on a road trip I always proclaim, "We must stop for provisions!" when we run out of booty:)
In Maui our friend and host totally thought we were talking some kind of kink since we are both veg and kept talking about Booty.  She didn't know WHAT to say when we offered her some! tee hee hee.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mrgrita
« Reply #43 on: July 07, 2008 03:06:55 PM »

I didn't know Trader Joe's had a line of heat-and-eat Indian foods. Cool!   The only Trader Joe's I know of is about two hours from me.  I've been once. They seem to have a lot of good products.
Just FYI-They do have excellent products, but they are mostly findable in other grocery stores under their original names.  Trader Joe's Indian is made by the Tasty Bite company.  It's often a bit cheaper at Joe's, but not if you're using that much gas to get there!
for more info check out this link to chow- http://www.chow.com/stories/10947
~m
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mrgrita
« Reply #44 on: July 08, 2008 04:21:39 PM »

-Zataran's Jambalaya Mix
-Not marketed as such, but Vegan!
-cheap- under $2-add your own favourite veggies (or faux meats)
-Spicy, Easy, Awesome! 5/5

It is deliciously hard to stop eating, so be careful with your portion control.*

~m

*or don't Cheesy
While making this today I was reading the label and found a newly listed ingredient, MSG. ewwww.  I take back the awesome rating and replace it with a yummy chemicals that may be neurotoxic rating.  No wonder it's hard to stop eating with MSG crack in it! oh well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

tellevator
dancefloor destroyer

punk rock arts'n'crafts since 1987

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 09, 2008 04:08:16 AM »

Okay, I don't know how many other canadians are here but I don't think I've seen most of those products (aside from the Amy's meals and something else)!

Personally, I'm not big on the whole fake meat thing, I eat veggie dogs if I get a craving specifically for them but otherwise I like my burgers to taste like veggies'n'grains.  Never really liked red meat when I did eat it though.
My meat(less) exception is:

-Yves chicken souvlaki skewers!  I usually find them at Safeway but they're a rare hit or miss deal
-veeeeegan (with 15g of protein and 1g of fat!)
-about $5 CD for 2 skewers, once I found them for $2 on sale and stocked right the eff up
-the only yves product that gets a 5/5

The best way to eat it is with a little hummus and balsamic vinegar and a salad with black olives, can be microwaved but best grilled to get it a little crispy *drool*

Another common search for the perfect substitute is with milks!  Soy milk makes me feel gross and the thought of drinking a class of milk straight up makes me gag, and I have a strong stomach.

-Manitoba Harvest's Hemp Bliss (chocolate)
-Vegan and Canadian (whoo)
-about 3 or 4 bux
-0/5 NO DICE!!!  other people I have discussed faux milk with have agreed, something is just not right, some things should not be milked though I'm sure it's good for you and all that jazz.  Couldn't even finish off a glass of it.

but there is hope!
*insert backlit shining beam of light here*

-Blue Diamond's Almond Breeze, I prefer the unsweetened variety as it boasts only 40 calories a cup as per sweetened soy milk which can get up to 160
-Vegan Heaven
-$2 at the local grocers, $4 at Safeway(boo!)
-5/5 It doesn't have the suspect hormones of soy or the watery thinness of rice milk, it's something you can drink the plain unsweetened variety of and not spit it out and want your money back.  I have yet to find the unsweetened chocolate but oh my, the sweetened variety is fake milk at its glory with no chalky aftertaste.  Won't drink coffee without it. 

..it's awesome.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
sf craftster
« Reply #46 on: July 09, 2008 11:08:57 AM »

how did i only find this just now? what a great thread!

i've been vegetarian for eight years. since i left home and could control what i eat. i also lived with a vegan for seven of those years, so, out of habit, i often eat vegan, though i could never live without cheese!

i personally love fake meat products and the closer to meat you can get it to taste, the better. i realize from reading this thread that that grosses a lot of people out, but i will try to explain. for me, not eating meat is a political and a personal choice. political because i believe that animals should be respected and our meat industry, for the most part, raises animals and slaughters them without any concern for their welfare, only concerned about american's insatiable appetites and profit. now, i know that you can eat free-range chickens and angus beef, etc etc, but that's too hard for me and i'm lazy. and, living in san francisco (home of health food stores - i have two within walking distance, three if you count tj's and farmer's markets)  i have no problem getting fresh fruits, vegetables and plenty of packaged fake meat products for cheap. it's a personal choice as well, because i definitely believe that humans are carnivores and need some nutrients found in meat to be healthy, so i don't lecture people or look down on their choice to eat meat. i believe it's natural!

now, i try not to eat too many packaged products because they have a ton of preservatives and i prefer to eat fresh veggies and get my protein from beans and tofu (did you know most health food stores sell bulk, fresh tofu, rather than the packaged kind?). but, we all get busy, lord knows, and it's nice to be able to pop something in the oven or microwave and be done. so here's some of my favorites:

-soyrizo. yum! i have definitely found that if you cook based on the package instructions, it will be mushy. i usually just fry the hell out of it, without stirring, for about ten minutes, then flip it. it will brown up like meat, but you have to be patient...

-quorn. i like these products, the cutlets are great just microwaved and wrapped with some greens and hummus in a tortilla. they are not vegan though!!!

-dr. praeger's. you are so right star217, they are amazing. and they're not trying to taste like meat, so if that turns you off, these are great. i sometimes eat these plain with some veggies, just like one would eat meat - without the bun.

-primal strips. when i am shopping hungry and know that it'll be a while before i eat (need to cook the veggies or soak the beans or cook the rice), i get one of these and they are delish. i have no idea how they make this, but i think it's made out of wheat gluten (seitan).

-trader joe's meatballs. these are a go-to protein source when i don't have a lot of time. try them in pasta dishes or in stir-fries.

-field roast sausages. these are really, really good. great to bbq. i'm not a huge fan of the other fake hot dogs (because, you know, hot dogs aren't that good...) but these are meaty and hearty. i always take them when i'm going to a meat-eatin' bbq.

-gimme lean ground sausage. (http://www.lightlife.com/product_detail.jsp?p=gimmeleansausage, though i usually buy it in the tube...) by far the best and most realistic of the meat substitutes. my family makes a breakfast casserole every year for christmas and i've gotten them to use this for the past three years. they love it - better for you and tastes, seriously, just like ground sausage!!! we also use it in our sausage/cornbread stuffing recipe. yum yum yum!!!

so that is what i've got. i have a ton of great recipes for non-packaged items, and by far the biggest hit is when i make seitan. it's so much fun, freezes up well and from it's most basic form, can be made to taste basically like anything and can be cooked in SO many different ways. i love it!!

(sorry so long - i have a lot to say apparently!)
THIS ROCKS   Logged
*k*
« Reply #47 on: July 11, 2008 08:23:58 PM »

-Frozen meals: I like a lot of the Amy's frozen foods, but only buy them if they're on sale.  The spinach feta sandwich pocket is one of my faves.  Also, I discovered Seeds of Change at Whole Foods (haven't seen it anywhere else) and those are good, too.

-Morningstar Farms grillers crumbles (fake ground beef) - best crumbly meat sub, great in tacos.  Much better taste and texture than Boca or Light Life brands.

-Peppered Tofurky slices (hickory smoked is also good)

-Zatarans red beans and rice mix

-Boca spicy chicken patties

THIS ROCKS   Logged
Bela-Kiss
« Reply #48 on: July 15, 2008 12:58:41 PM »

Today I tried couscous for the first time.
The brand I used was Hodgson Mill whole wheat parmesan cheese with milled flax seed and soy.
-vegetarian but not vegan.
-cost me $2.19
-makes three servings
-4/5

It was delicious but i think next time I will try a different flavor. The parmesan was good but I bet the roasted garlic is better.
I tried to get a pic but my photobucket is being stupid today and won't let me log in. I have to say it is one of the few prepackaged foods I have made that actually looks like it does on the box. I made some seared tomatoes to go with it and had some Sweet Leaf organic peach tea which if you have never had it is amazing. Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
missmuffcake

Spicy but sweet!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #49 on: July 16, 2008 08:43:23 PM »

I had a premade vegan Trader Joe's wrap tonight and it was tasty. To bad the apply struddle was not so good.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There's more to life than books you know
                But not much more
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Maybelline Baby Skin Instant Pore Eraser Review
Binky Felstead Gets a Natural Makeover
How to Get Full, Gorgeous Brows - and Look Younger Too
Mally Roncal’s Instant Face-Lift?
Can Eyeliner Give You an Eye Lift?
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Banana Pudding
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...