A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 303,213
Currently Running With Scissors:
570 Guests and 19 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: ~*~*Reviews of Prepackaged Vegetarian and Vegan Foods*~*~  (Read 24256 times)
Tags for this thread: salad  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I heart SLB...He's dreamy!

Fo Shizzle, yo...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #30 on: June 28, 2008 09:26:40 AM »

I've been a vegetarian for over 10 years.  It's been a challenge finding prepackaged things that I could - and would want to - eat.

I eat alot of Thai Kitchen Instant Rice Noodle Soup (5/5) - packaged like Ramen noodles. Most flavors are vegetarian, some vegan - always read the ingredients.

I saw this recipe here on Craftster about a month ago, but I can't find it again - so props to the person who posted it first, you know who you are!

Asian/Thai Noodles:

Stir fry some veggies of your choice (fresh or frozen) with some veggie bullion, then add a dash of toasted sesame oil and a teaspoon (or more, to your taste) of natural peanut butter and stir. Add a package of the cooked rice noodles to your skillet and stir until noodles are coated. I can't tell you how yummy this is. It's delicious hot or cold, and it only takes about 5-10 minutes to prepare. Even my non-vegetarian husband loves this.

L: "Don't leave your dirty package on the table."
C: "If I had a nickel for every time I've heard that..."

I WIST I had all these super cool things!

See you in the clouds, sweet little Jackson.
« Reply #31 on: June 29, 2008 08:37:01 PM »

I'm loving Morningstar's meal starter chicken, I threw some in a frying pan with cajun seasoning (although the chicken had good spicing already), sauteed some red bell peppers and made a salad.

I've been veggie since February, and grilled chicken salad had been my only craving, now it's all fixed.  It positively hit the spot.

Do make sure not to over cook the chicken though, it gets a little too tough.

I've been veggie since February too.
Well mainly...completely since March.
The last beef I had was for my birthday in February...
Anywho, I had a problem with chicken too, kind of. I have found Morningstar's Chik'n Patties to be delicous. They are sooo good. The first time I had them I almost got into an argument with my bf (who served them to me) because I thought it was real chicken. But it was just because of the way he served it. Now I can tell it isn't chicken but the first time was amazing.
My favorite thing to do is pop them in the microwave, cook, slice into strips, put in a flour tortilla, add some lettuce and veggies, a little dressing, and then make it into a wrap. Sometimes we also put mozzarella on it. Only if you eat cheese though. Not sure how a vegan version would work.
Also, their Spinach and Artichoke bites are delcious.mmmmm

Spicy but sweet!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #32 on: June 29, 2008 11:21:43 PM »

-Zataran's Jambalaya Mix
-Not marketed as such, but Vegan!

The Zataran's Spanish rice mix makes my Mexican-meat eatin' guy happy. I use organic canned tomatoes, earth Balance and a dash of hot sauce in the mix!

I tried a Karma Kookie today after being in a Whole Foods for the first time yesterday and loved it! Whole Foods is awesome, I wish there was one closer than 90 minutes away from me!

There's more to life than books you know
                But not much more
« Reply #33 on: July 01, 2008 12:28:16 AM »

Boca Chick'n Nuggets
$3-4 at Tops
4.5/5 stars

They're more like a chicken nugget in texture than the real chicken nuggets at Burger King or McDonalds.
Good both in the microwave or in the toaster oven. (I'm impatient and microwave first, then put in the toaster oven to get them crispy on the outside.)
The breading is awesome.

My cat liked these more than meat chicken nuggets!

I can be a complicated communicator...

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2008 09:21:17 PM »

-Zataran's Jambalaya Mix
-Not marketed as such, but Vegan!
-cheap- under $2-add your own favourite veggies (or faux meats)
-Spicy, Easy, Awesome! 5/5

It is deliciously hard to stop eating, so be careful with your portion control.*

*or don't Cheesy

This is exactly what I would write if I was reviewing it! I could eat the whole package, if given the opportunity. I never buy it, I just eat it at my parents house, or I wouldn't be able to control myself Smiley
« Reply #35 on: July 06, 2008 05:57:50 PM »

I bought a can of Jyoti Mattar paneer (peas with Indian homestyle cheese in a spicy gravy) ages ago, when I was still living in Texas.  I actually heated it up and ate it today and it was surprisingly good for a canned entree.  The peas and cheese both retained a good texture, and the sauce was nicely spiced.  As with most canned foods, however, it does taste a little tinny, but it's better when served piping hot.   

Below is the link to the list of prepared foods Jyoti offers, as well as a link to Tasty Bite. They offer ready-made heat-and-eat Indian and Thai foods, many of which are vegetarian, if not vegan. 

Indian food is sooooo good and vegetarian/vegan friendly, but not everyone has the time to prepare these dishes.  You also have to buy a crapload of spices, and if you don't cook much Indian food, a bottle of Garam Masala is going to go to waste.  I've had several of the Tasty Bite Indian entrees, but it's been a while.  If you eat them until they're really hot, they're tastier than at room temperature.

Miss Violaceous

Condones Flashing

« Reply #36 on: July 06, 2008 06:22:09 PM »

I mix the Delhi Saag (the only one of theirs I've come across with no cream) and one can of chickpeas, drained, and simmer it for a while to get some of the canned taste out. Serve over rice. Great dinner with nothing fresh needed.

As far as the tastybite entrees go, they're fine, but for aseptically packaged indian food, Trader Joe's versions are tastier and cheaper.

« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2008 07:54:17 PM »

I didn't know Trader Joe's had a line of heat-and-eat Indian foods. Cool!   The only Trader Joe's I know of is about two hours from me.  I've been once. They seem to have a lot of good products.
S is for Summer

Im a really slow knitter without magic.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: July 06, 2008 10:57:38 PM »

My oh-my-gosh-I'm-so-happy! discovery of the week is Veggie Booty, made by the same people who make Pirate Booty, Robert's American Gourmet.  One of the things I knew would tempt me away from sticking to the whole vegan thing in my weaker moments was Pirate Booty.  I love that stuff, and it has become a favorite comfort food. 

So I was thrilled and skeptical both earlier this week when I happened upon "Veggie Booty" on my local grocery store's "discontinued items" shelf.  Apparently they accidentally got a box with their usual order of Pirate's Booty.  Anyway, I bought a bag to try.  It looked really weird... like green popcorn... but it tastes great and the texture, which was my favorite thing about Pirate's Booty, is exactly right. 

Veggie Booty = good snackfoodiness!

Miss Violaceous

Condones Flashing

« Reply #39 on: July 07, 2008 05:04:53 AM »

I didn't know Trader Joe's had a line of heat-and-eat Indian foods. Cool!   The only Trader Joe's I know of is about two hours from me.  I've been once. They seem to have a lot of good products.

They also have a heat and eat pouch of some kind of pilaf with two kinds of chickpeas and other beans and veggie bits. It's AMAZING.

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Wedding Hairstyles - Chignon
How to Hide Thinning Hair
Five-Minute Health Fix for Dandruff
How to Maintain Color Treated Hair
Wavy Holiday Hairstyle
Latest Blog Articles
Meatless Monday: Stuffed Acorn Squash
@Home This Weekend: Quilted Patchwork Basket
Craftster Quickies: How to Make Spooky Halloween Decorations

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...