A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 302,799
Currently Running With Scissors:
740 Guests and 23 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: ~*~*Reviews of Prepackaged Vegetarian and Vegan Foods*~*~  (Read 19749 times)
Tags for this thread: salad  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

mrgrita
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2008 08:18:13 AM »

-Zataran's Jambalaya Mix
-Not marketed as such, but Vegan!
-cheap- under $2-add your own favourite veggies (or faux meats)
-Spicy, Easy, Awesome! 5/5

It is deliciously hard to stop eating, so be careful with your portion control.*

~m

*or don't Cheesy

THIS ROCKS   Logged

snappity-snap
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2008 10:19:57 AM »

Trader Joe's Spanakopita
-vegetarian
-under $3 at trader joes.
-4.5/5 stars.

This stuff is REALLY REALLY good. It is basically a spinach and ricotta/feta cheese mixture in a crisp pastry. highly recommended.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb.    Psalm 139:13
snappity-snap
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2008 10:33:44 AM »

Trader Joe's  meatless meatballs
-under $3 at TJ's
-vegetarian
-3.75/5 stars

These are pretty good. They dont have the weird aftertaste that fauxmeat can have a lot of the time. The flavor is nice, not too herby. Their texture (quite mushy) is the only thing that differentiates them from the real thing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb.    Psalm 139:13
animegirlie
crafty nerdy girl

just make stuff!!!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2008 11:22:49 AM »

Trader Joe's Spanakopita http://www.nelsonpkg.com/images/products/large/img_7727.jpg
-vegetarian
-under $3 at trader joes.
-4.5/5 stars.

This stuff is REALLY REALLY good. It is basically a spinach and ricotta/feta cheese mixture in a crisp pastry. highly recommended.

Agree! this stuff is REALLY good
THIS ROCKS   Logged

New Craft Blog - best way to contact me right now is via the bloggie Smiley

Wists are a wonderful thing!

Want a sticker?
RockstarMom
Missing my crafting time

Shhhhh.... I'm using glue!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2008 11:42:33 AM »

I'm partial to Boca's Spicy Chik'n patties (and I am not a vegetarian/vegan). I bake them in the toaster oven, use light mayo, romaine and a 100% whole wheat lil bun with them- YUM!!

I have those Morning star artichoke ones, but haven't tried them yet, good to know you do like them. I have tried the Eggs Florentine ones and ICK!!! Bland, boring, BLAH.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Spring semester is kicking my butt.
allthoseeyes
« Reply #25 on: June 27, 2008 11:53:49 AM »

First of all, I have to say that this was a fantastic idea for a thread!  But it makes me sad that I don't have a Trader Joe's within a few hundred miles.   Cry

Also, in response to missmuffcake's mention of soyrizo, I really liked the taste but the texture drove me nuts (maybe ours was bad or something). It was really mushy and disgusting even though I followed the cooking directions.

You have to fry it up to get the crunch to it. I fry sliced potatoes in earth balance with a lid over the pan for 10-15 minutes, then take the lid off and flip the potatoes and fry for a few more minutes, then add the soyrizo and mix and cook for 10 minutes. It has never been mushy for me, maybe yours was bad!

I am gonna try this.  I've fried up the soyrizo and then added a can of kidney beans to the pan and eaten it over brown rice.  It's really tasty that way.  Even my non-vegetarian boyfriends loves it, although he likes most of the stuff I make.  He's practically a vegetarian now too...unless we go to a restaurant.  Then the lure of meat is just too strong for him to resist.

Now I want to go home and look through my freezer so that I can contribute to these reviews!   
THIS ROCKS   Logged

katchoo1
« Reply #26 on: June 27, 2008 03:00:31 PM »

I have a question...if it's ok to ask....

If one is a vegetarian what would the appeal be of something that looks like/tastes like/smells like meat?

I mean...isn't the point to NOT eat meat...I mean, it it looks/tastes/smells like meat...why not just eat meat?

I know about all the moral issues involved that would cause a person who might like meat not to eat it and thus want a substitute but wouldn't they find something exactly like meat to be just as repulsive...

I'm sorry....just trying to understand  Smiley

Not all people are vegetarian because they find meat to be gross or disgusting. 

Some people like meat but feel uncomfortable with the animal suffering issue or the factory farming issue etc.  So something that tastes like meat or imitates meat wouldn't bother them and can help with the cravings.

Or they are just trying to try some different things that might be healthier.

But I'm with the folks that say that something trying too hard to be "just like" meat can be pretty yucky just because of the chemicals or over enthusiastic flavoring agents.  OTOH something like soy "ground beef" that can go into spaghetti sauce adds bulk and texture and the comfort food feeling of spaghetti bolognese without actual meat.  It's all good.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Etsy shop:  http://lifeattherancho.etsy.com
I <heart> paper crafts!  PM me about private swaps...
Miss Violaceous

Condones Flashing

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #27 on: June 27, 2008 06:50:28 PM »

Health is Wealth Buffalo Wings!

Super duper meaty texture (may be TOO meaty for many people,) low in fat for what they are, with a nice saltiness and spiciness. I LOVE these! Best fake meat available frozen! I make mashed potatoes and steamed veggies on the side.

Tofurkey Sausages are great too. They have a LOT of flavor, and they work better sauteed or on the grill than many soy sausages because they have good texture and a decent amount of fat in them. They crisp up in a pan and don't stick to a grill. I like the italian sausages sliced up in pasta sauce, or the brats on a bun with mustard.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

robynsteiner
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I heart SLB...He's dreamy!

Fo Shizzle, yo...

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #28 on: June 27, 2008 08:55:52 PM »

All of the following are vegetarian, not sure if vegan.  I like Morning Star Farms Corndogs (5/5), Garden Burger Mama Mia Meatballs (5/5) and Riblets (5/5). The meatballs can get a little dry if you don't cook them in some kind of sauce, but they do taste great and aren't mushy at all.  The corndogs are great - due in no small part to the deliciousness of the cornbread.  And the Riblets - the sauce smells soooo good and it tastes grand. All of the above is around $4 per box and I get them either at Publix or Kroger.

Don't have a Trader Joe's close enough....sad face....It's difficult to find anything vegetarian/vegan in my small town, but there are increasingly more things available. 

I recently discovered Amy's - all of their items are vegetarian and the vegetable lasagna is delicious. I eat it at least 2-3 times a week.

I also found this coooooool site www.cosmosveganshop pe.com and ordered some truly vegan marshmallows. I have to say, they are delicious especially since I never thought I would be able have a marshmallow again!

Thanks for starting this thread!
« Last Edit: June 28, 2008 09:13:20 AM by robynsteiner » THIS ROCKS   Logged

L: "Don't leave your dirty package on the table."
C: "If I had a nickel for every time I've heard that..."

I WIST I had all these super cool things!

See you in the clouds, sweet little Jackson.
TheAmarant

I am. I am. I am.

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 27, 2008 11:51:03 PM »

I'm loving Morningstar's meal starter chicken, I threw some in a frying pan with cajun seasoning (although the chicken had good spicing already), sauteed some red bell peppers and made a salad.

I've been veggie since February, and grilled chicken salad had been my only craving, now it's all fixed.  It positively hit the spot.

Do make sure not to over cook the chicken though, it gets a little too tough.

4.5/5
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.etsy.com/shop/RiverLikeARoad
Specializing in vintage clothing, shoes, and curious ephemera for your adoration.
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Do Portrait Photography
How to Take Headshots
Learn Basic Photography Techniques
How to Do Time Lapse Photography
How to Do a Photobomb
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Fabric and Felt Bird Ornament
Cardboard Tube? Craft Supply!
Spotlight on: Art Dolls

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...