A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,038
Currently Running With Scissors:
427 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: ~*~*Reviews of Prepackaged Vegetarian and Vegan Foods*~*~  (Read 20029 times)
Tags for this thread: salad  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

classy broad

the clumsy crafter. [formerly sprklgrl81]

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #100 on: January 08, 2009 12:34:49 PM »

Trader Joe's  meatless meatballs
-under $3 at TJ's
-vegetarian
-3.75/5 stars

These are pretty good. They dont have the weird aftertaste that fauxmeat can have a lot of the time. The flavor is nice, not too herby. Their texture (quite mushy) is the only thing that differentiates them from the real thing.

i love these "meat"balls!
i know what you mean about the texture, though. i usually microwave mine, and then fry them in a little oil, to get a bit of crunch.
i love these in a meatball sub, with tomato sauce & mozzarella, or with spaghetti. yum!  Cheesy

*xo...

THIS ROCKS   Logged

missmuffcake

Attached to Matt with E600.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #101 on: January 08, 2009 08:40:20 PM »

Helen's Kitchen 'chili and tofu steaks' - The chili part was so-so but the steaks had a nice texture if you like chewy tofu.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There's more to life than books you know
                But not much more
saranethx
« Reply #102 on: January 18, 2009 01:53:34 PM »

I just wanted to add my two cents about the Quorn products mentioned earlier in the thread:

Quorn, a brand name, is made from mycoprotien. Mycoprotien is a fungus that contains all 9 essential amino acids. However it is an ALLERGEN and can cause dangerous reactions. The Center for Science in the Public Interest has a couple of web pages dedicated to the ill effects quorn has had in consumers. For more information check out: http://www.cspinet.org/quorn/

Personally, I have eaten quorn and enjoyed it without any reactions. But, I believe in being an informed consumer and wanted to pass on the information to my fellow craftsters.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
missmuffcake

Attached to Matt with E600.

« Reply #103 on: January 20, 2009 06:40:42 PM »

I tried the meatless strips by TJ's in 'taco truck' tacos yesterday and it was a hit!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

There's more to life than books you know
                But not much more
crescentfresh
« Reply #104 on: February 23, 2009 03:17:28 PM »

Another common search for the perfect substitute is with milks!  Soy milk makes me feel gross and the thought of drinking a class of milk straight up makes me gag, and I have a strong stomach.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v331/itsaliger/32-ozBlissChocolateWeb.jpg
-Manitoba Harvest's Hemp Bliss (chocolate)
-Vegan and Canadian (whoo)
-about 3 or 4 bux
-0/5 NO DICE!!!  other people I have discussed faux milk with have agreed, something is just not right, some things should not be milked though I'm sure it's good for you and all that jazz.  Couldn't even finish off a glass of it.

but there is hope!
*insert backlit shining beam of light here*

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v331/itsaliger/AlmondBreezegroupshot.gif
-Blue Diamond's Almond Breeze, I prefer the unsweetened variety as it boasts only 40 calories a cup as per sweetened soy milk which can get up to 160
-Vegan Heaven
-$2 at the local grocers, $4 at Safeway(boo!)
-5/5 It doesn't have the suspect hormones of soy or the watery thinness of rice milk, it's something you can drink the plain unsweetened variety of and not spit it out and want your money back.  I have yet to find the unsweetened chocolate but oh my, the sweetened variety is fake milk at its glory with no chalky aftertaste.  Won't drink coffee without it. 

..it's awesome.

I totally agree with you that HEMP BLISS is crap. However, its a crappy brand of the AMAZING product that is Hemp-milk. Hempmilk has amino acids, omega-3's, protein, vitamins, iron, calcium, etc..and is way better for you than soy, dairy, or other substitutes. Although new on the market and a little pricey, I highly reccommend the Living Harvest brand of Hempmilk. Especially Vanilla. AMAZING in everything, especially with granola. holy cow, when it goes on sale at my co-op again I'm going to buy a whole case.

Vegan - Living harvest hempmilk
5/5 , so damn tasty.

and, Almond and hazelnut and Oat milk are just as yummy! Some people are put off by what they are made from, but who thought of drinking another species breast milk in the first place? That seems hella weird to me. happy munchin crafters!
« Last Edit: February 24, 2009 07:24:17 AM by jungrrl - Reason: Please remove IMG tags when quoting! Thanks! » THIS ROCKS   Logged

nofury

With every breath of honesty, I strip before you.

« Reply #105 on: February 23, 2009 03:47:58 PM »

I dunno much about this thread, but I felt the need in say that the chocolate Almond Breeze is BANGIN'!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

50 Projects in 2009! 26/50
Flickr!
Wist!
"We are all trapped in the amber of the moment. There is no why." --K. Vonnegut
vegebrarian

I brake for kitsch!

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: February 24, 2009 10:23:07 AM »

I dunno much about this thread, but I felt the need in say that the chocolate Almond Breeze is BANGIN'!!!

Oooh! I know, it's like liquid candy!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

provides 100% of your daily recommended allowance of glitter
BattleAxe
« Reply #107 on: March 08, 2009 07:04:15 PM »

I tried PC World's Best Meatless ... breaded chicken somethings... recently.  They are quite good.  Cook them in the oven for 20 and use your fav dipping sauce. 

I enjoy Zolo line products as well.

I miss Morningstar farms Sad  Had that when I was in the States years ago and their stuff was great.  Don't have it in Canada.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
time_warp
Miss Spiritual Tramp of 1948

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: June 11, 2009 10:04:42 PM »

Morningstar has these (new, I think?) rice & veggie "cakes", or patties, and they rule. They're pretty small (and they're not a burger substitute, so no bun), so you could eat two and a small side and have a very filling meal. We ate the ginger teriyaki flavor tonight, and it tasted like a fried rice patty, only more flavorful and with big chunks of edamame and bell peppers and carrots. Very, very tasty. They're expensive, of course ($5 for 4), but it seems like that's the reality for any truly tasty vegetarian entree. And no processed soy. Don't get me wrong -- I eat tofu and fake meat all the time, but it's nice to find something that tastes good without any meat flavors at all.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Seasick Sarah had a golden nose
Hobnail boots wrapped 'round her toes
When she turned blue all the angels screamed
They didn't know they couldn't make a scene.

She had to run, run, run run, run.
snappity-snap
« Reply #109 on: June 25, 2009 11:10:20 AM »

Wow, my thread has grown!  Shocked I'm glad.
I haven't been on craftster in a while due to the crazy school schedule, but it is summer now! Yay!

So, I've got a review!
http://srslyvegan.files.wordpress.com/2009/06/masala-burger-box.jpg

-Trader Joes' Vegetable Masala Burger
-VEGAN!!!!
-5/5 stars

I really really love this burger. They are made with only veggies and no soy. Ingredients: Potatoes, carrots, green beans, corn, bell peppers, and indian spices. I just throw them on a hot pan until browned and I've got a yummy potato-ey patty!
« Last Edit: June 25, 2009 07:08:34 PM by kittykill - Reason: picture hotlinked » THIS ROCKS   Logged

For you created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb.    Psalm 139:13
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 14 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Great Makeup Tips For Summer Brides
DIY Pore Strips…Do They Work?
How to Make a DIY Fizzing Bath Balm
How to Wear Coral Makeup
How to Get Better Skin at All Ages
Latest Blog Articles
August 20, 2014 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Faux Cross Stitch Sweatshirt
More Great Crafts Using Cardboard Tubes

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...