A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Did you know you can view all images posted by a member? Learn how here!
Total Members: 302,566
Currently Running With Scissors:
517 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Jewish Swap Gallery  (Read 7458 times)
Tags for this thread: challah  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

PerachYafeh
C.A.D.ing around...

Got crafts?YouGetFun!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #60 on: August 04, 2008 09:30:10 PM »

Fantastic pack...It will be hard to wait for a new one: ) Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sophieangele
Two-headed girl

lacing fingers through the notches of your spine

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #61 on: August 05, 2008 05:37:04 AM »

What an awesome package! I love the Shalom bookmark especially, it's so delicate. Man, I need to learn this embroidery stuff.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lera-star
what you really wanna know about Lera yupyup

if all craft is art, dose that make all art craft?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: August 05, 2008 06:10:30 AM »

Okay, that was enough!

Being a bit intimidated by the LARGE project concept, I offered Lera-star an equivalent combo of medium/small items and she agreed!  So here it is...

Everything ready to send out:

http://www.craftster.org/pictures/data/500/medium/Jewish_Swap_Packages.jpg[/img]

Pair of counted cross-stitch bookmarks (my first counted cross stitch attempt in about 20 years so I was pretty pleased with how they turned out!):

http://www.craftster.org/pictures/data/500/Jewish_bookmarks.jpg[/img]

Pair of painted Shabbat candleholders (for tea light-sized candles):

http://www.craftster.org/pictures/data/500/candleholders.jpg[/img]

Etz Chaim stencilled tote bag (my first attempt at freezer paper stencilling):

http://www.craftster.org/pictures/data/500/Etz_Chaim_bag_1.jpg[/img]

I also made a shrinkie hamsa keyring and a star of David carved eraser stamp but I forgot to take pics of them Sad

I had so much fun making my package and I really enjoyed the challenge of trying new projects outside my usual paper-centric comfort zone.  This was a great swap!

Better then the photo's i could have taken. thanks for posting them. but i can take pics of the other two items. sorry about disapering all but i was out of town for a bit. that and i got sick while i was away (stupid sunsstroke and heat stroke and sun burn) it was not fun. but i'm back and more ready then ever! i just how katchoo1 likes what i sent her. i'm sure i have photo's some wear if she'd like me to post them
« Last Edit: August 05, 2008 02:50:00 PM by jungrrl - Reason: Please don't quote images - thanks! » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Sheva
A Real Jewish Princess

"Women in wigs and Men in beards!"

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #63 on: August 05, 2008 06:55:07 AM »

I love the stuff so much. I really love the eitz chaim bag so cute!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

HSG
Global Moderator
Glass Crafts Moderator
Guest Blogger

Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Oy Vey!

Margaritas & Facial Masks

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: August 05, 2008 07:33:19 AM »

Wow, some great items in that package. I can't pick a favorite though.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mamarose22
« Reply #65 on: August 05, 2008 09:05:13 AM »

The Shalom bookmark is so pretty.  It may be small, but I know how much time it takes to do counted cross stitch.  You did a good job on the stencils.  Did you copy the tree picture as well as the lettering from the computer?  Or did you freehand it?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Life is a coin, you can spend it anyway you wish, but you can only spend it once.
http://www.wists.com/mamarose22
katchoo1
« Reply #66 on: August 05, 2008 10:41:26 AM »

Thanks y'all!  I had so much fun working on this stuff.  I had last tried counted cross stitch many years ago and I made a typical country-cutesy home sweet home thingie with hearts and little houses around the motto.  Completely simplistic and only two colors yet it took me ages to finish.  The next project was only slightly more complex and I completely screwed it up and tossed it.

FF 20 years and I discover embroidery via Sublime Stitching and the revival of the old Aunt Martha's patterns.  Hey if this is fun, maybe counted cross stitch isn't so bad after all...so I give it a shot and what do you know, I really really like it!  It still takes a loooong time to, even a pretty simple design, but it's oddly soothing.  I like the combination of stretches where you really have to focus to get the counting just right and stretches where you are basically filling in a chunk of one color and you know where all the edges are so you can just sort of zone out.  The Shalom bookmark also includes my first attempts at French knots and it shows!  But I think I was getting better at them by the end--you can probably tell where I started doing the knots and where I finished them Smiley

I LOVED stenciling!  The image was a slightly modified tree picture from an online coloring site for kids.  I don't trust myself to freehand anything but I'm getting darn good at transferring stuff.  The Hebrew lettering was an image file from a website for a synagogue with that name!

I was SO pleased with how the lettering turned out.  I was very paranoid about leakage in the skinnier sections like the tree branches and the lettering and they turned out the best!  I did get a little bit of fuzziness on teh trunk but hey, trunks are supposed to be a bit rough.

On the whole I had a great time trying new things and am so happy to send them off to a great new home.

Lera-star enjoy in good health!  And if you get a chance, I'd love to have pics of the stamp and keyring for my own craft notebook.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Etsy shop:  http://lifeattherancho.etsy.com
I <heart> paper crafts!  PM me about private swaps...
TheCraftyCat

The truth is out there... anybody got the URL?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #67 on: August 05, 2008 08:16:29 PM »

Lovely work, katchoo1.  I especially admire your cross stitch (I'm an avid cross stitcher).

Just one more package left to go out.........
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Lera-star
what you really wanna know about Lera yupyup

if all craft is art, dose that make all art craft?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: August 06, 2008 07:32:11 AM »

i will enjoy it in good health though i am sorry you cannot do the same with your pakage (enjoy it i mean. ALWAYS BE IN GOOD HEALTH!!). so my partner FINALLY got her package which is yah! but unfortunetly Canada post has seemed to deciedly ignore the giant FRAGILE posting on the pakage it's self.

so that being said the hand painted Ceramic Sador plate arrived to the amazing katchoo1 peices! i don't know how many and i am very very upset about it. not so much that it took two weeks to paint and about three to finally get in the kiln but that the post offace obviously didn't care enough about the pakage. i will be uploading a before picture when i have a day off. sadly learning about this will most likely keep me from ever EVER sending painted cermaic peices again.

ftw IT WAS IN BIUBBLE WRAP DANG IT!!!

sorry about that. but i hope you all don't hold this against me the pick will be up soon along with the stamp and key chain.

thanks all....Lera-star
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sophieangele
Two-headed girl

lacing fingers through the notches of your spine

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #69 on: August 06, 2008 10:17:03 AM »

I'm so sorry Lera-star - it;s heartbreaking when your work gets destroyed or damaged by philistines. What a bunch of rotters in the post-office Sad Stuff like ceramics needs to be packed in two sturdy boxes, one inside the other, with layers of bubblewrap in between) - I learned this the hard way - sending someone a snowglobe in one box alone. Bad Idea of the Century! At least yours didn't leak and cause your recipient a big fine!  Embarrassed

katchoo1 - poor old you too Sad What a disappointment, and after your own hard work. If you'd like an un/official angel package, give me a shout - It would take me a wee while to craft anything (if you're in to beading), but if you didn't want to wait I'm still in the Holy Land so could make you up a bought package lightening fast! But if you'd like something crafted from me, and are willing to wait for it, then I'm happy to do that too

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make the Perfect Turkey Gravy
How to Use Thanksgiving Leftovers
How to Make a Thanksgiving Quiche
How to Make Thanksgiving Burritos
How to Make Thanksgiving Frittata
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...