A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,102
Currently Running With Scissors:
419 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Serger threads snapping -- White 534  (Read 485 times)
Tags for this thread: serger  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

argwwo
« on: June 23, 2008 11:53:26 AM »

OK, I have a used White 534 and am having trouble with the threads snapping. This is my first serger, so I don't have any experience to go on, but ...

I have checked to make sure I have threaded it in the proper order with all tensions set at 0, I've changed the needles (type suggested in manual for fabric I'm using) , it's new thread, the thread guide pole is fully extended ... it happens when the tensions are set at anything other than 0, so I don't think I've got the tension set to high.

It wasn't happening the other night. Only now, the second time I've used it. I spent 2 frustrating hours trying to get it to work this morning. grrrr.

It's the right needle thread and the upper looper thread that I seem to be having trouble with. The right needle thread seems to pop a few stitches in. And when I am successful getting that to work, the upper looper thread snaps, a few stitches in and sometimes right after I finished sewing a seam successfully and am trying to leave a three-inch chain as suggested in the manual.

Any thoughts/suggestions.

I bought it on eBay, so I don't have a shop I can turn to for help, though I am planning to take a serger class from one of the local shops as soon as it gets on their calendar again. Any thoughts/suggestions in the meantime?

Thanks in advance,
Angela
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SpottedFrog
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2008 06:45:57 AM »

It is critical to sergers to thread them in the right order. If thread #3 breaks, it's not so bad as you only have to re-do 3 & 4, but if #1 or 2 breaks, bleah. If you are threading just the broken one & it isn't #4, this is the problem. I learned this the hard way.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
argwwo
« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2008 08:23:50 AM »

yeah, as completely counterintuitive as it seems, I've been completely unthreading up to broken thread and then rethreading (making sure lower threader is not looped up over the upper threader thingy as per threading diagram), and this hasn't solved the problem.

I'm going on vaca for a few days, so I've completely unthreaded it, covered it, and hope that when I return the problem will have magically resolved. hmmmm. what are the chances?  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

SpottedFrog
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2008 12:50:09 PM »

I may not have bneen clear enough. If a thread breaks it and all threads that go after it must be re-threaded in order. You can't just work the broken one around the others- stupid persnickity machines just won't go for that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
missjesswinkwink
'Ginger did everything Fred did; only she did it backwards and in high heels'

Howdy!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2008 12:57:37 PM »

Make sure the the needles are inserted properly - if they're keyed shafts this won't be a problem, but some sergers don't use keyed needles. If any of the upper needles are facing backwards, so that the groove is in the back, the thread will ALWAYS break - the groove has to be facing forward so it can guide the thread through the fabric without any extra friction. Again, this is usually only an issue with industrial machines that don't use keyed needles- but you might check just to be sure!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

www.rockinbclothing .com
------------------
www.rockinbdesign.b logspot.com
------------------
Night Train Swing Dance Club!
www.swingpurdue.org
------------------
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Learn About “The Dream” by Pablo Picasso
Learn About “Lullaby Spring” by Damien Hirst
How to Understand And Use The Art Color Wheel
How to Apply Red Venetian Plaster
The Art of Body Painting
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fairy Garden
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...