A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can get cheap (and legal! Wink) advertising by donating a challenge prize! Go here for more info.
Total Members: 297,496
Currently Running With Scissors:
620 Guests and 28 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: TUTORIAL for vertical patchwork hippie dress -- any size - no pattern  (Read 46240 times)
Tags for this thread: patchwork , tutorial , party_dress  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

imwomn13

neo-hippie artist enjoying the journey

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: June 22, 2008 07:46:20 PM »

I had a lot of positive response to my hippie sun dress so I thought I would do a tutorial....now this is my first tutorial about the first dress I have ever made...so if I am not giving enough details or too many details let me know. You can also easily convert this to a skirt - explained below.

Photo of completed dress:

First step --- the tools needs: and a sewing machine helps a lot too   Grin

Then you go shopping for fabric or use fabric that you already have. When I did my dress  I used flower fabric - each strip a different fabric. You choose what you like - a certain color, print, etc. Each strip of fabric is 1/8th of a yard.

To know how many (1/8 of a yard) to buy measure around your body just under armpits. If doing this for a skirt measure where you would like skirt to land. I measure 46 inches and I used 33 strips of 1/8 yard fabric. So, divide your inches around by 1.3 and then buy a few extra just in case...

Once you have all the fabric you need to cut one side of the 1/8th strip down to 2 inches:

Place fabric (you can pile the fabric on top of each other and cut several at same time) on 2 inch line on cutting board. Put board you are going to cut against on the two inch line and angle the other end to the 15 inch mark and cut:

Then move your board to the other side and cut at that 2 inch line angling out to the 15 inch mark:

You end up with this:

2 inches at one end moving out to 5 inches by 15 inches down the fabric and the rest left at 5 inches.

Then you lay the fabric out in a pattern that you like:

Now you start to sew. It gets heavy to sew after about 10 pieces - I found it easier to put 10 together and then another 10 and then sew them together and so on.

You can see that after sewing the 2 inch side is now about 1.5 inches:

Now at this point you can decide that you want to just so a skirt. In this case you can sew enough strips together to fit where you would like the skirt to be. Then hem the top and bottom - put in a zipper or buttons. Personally, I would sew several extra strips and put a fabric tie in.

To do a fabric tie you decide where you would like the front to be and then put in button holes starting 4 inches down - using a quarter as the button size works great. Then you hem down the top of the skirt (small hem) and then do a hem that includes the button holes (larger hem).

To continue with the dress.....

After you have sewn enough stripes together that it fits you perfectly under the armpits. Sew the thing closed.

For the shoulder straps measure the straps of a top that you like and add a few inches. I find that cutting a 1/8 yard piece in half is a great place for me to start but do what works with your body. Choose a fabric. Cut it to the inches needed. For width you will need it to be 2 inches wider then the finished product.

The thinner one started with 4 inches of fabric and is 2 inches wide now. The thicker one was 5 inches to start and 3 inches at finish.

Follow photos for making straps:

Then put on the bra (or not) that you believe you will be wearing with the dress. Put dress on top of top that fits you well and pin shoulder straps onto dress. Put dress on and adjust straps for perfect fit and perfect bra coverage.

Sew straps on:

You now have a mumu.....

Now the hardest part of dress. You need to attach a strip on fabric around body so that you can give curves to your body. Choose fabric - 5 inches wide or whatever works best for your body type - iron under edges and start pinning - this works best with a friend to help. You will want to start pinning under the chest and then curve upward under the arms then be straight across the back.

under my chest to top of dress was 9.5 inches:

While the back was 5.5 inches:

Then create button hole as explain above with skirt option and sew the strip on.

Then for the hem you can straight hem it or add lace --- be playful and follow your vibe.

If more details are needed ask and I will respond. It is late now and I am soooo tired.

Happy sewing everyone......

« Last Edit: July 07, 2008 08:45:16 AM by imwomn13 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

This posting is a natural product made from recycled electrons. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.

http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5911808

http://www.myspace.com/imwomn13
riverwatson
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2008 08:01:45 PM »

Grin this made me smile so much. it's so bright and happy and colorful. And it looks super twirly, too!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I heart mod podge.
digital misfit

crazy doesn't begin to cover it!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2008 08:13:20 PM »

Thanks for the tute! Great job. This will definitely going to the top of my clothes to-do list!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Visit my blog to read my rambling, get free hand embroidery patterns, and even enter giveaways from time to time! http://myhidingplaceincyberspace.blogspot.com
staciart

Old, but not rotten...yet.

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2008 08:13:28 AM »

OH, this is so beautiful and I love it love it love it! Thank you so much for sharing a tutorial, I appreciate it and I'm dying to make one now.  Smiley  thanks again - YOU rock! Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged
craftylentil
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2008 12:18:39 AM »

I love it!!! Your prints worked so well together, they're gorgeous! Your tutorial looks quite easy to follow too (even for someone like me) so I'll be giving this a go soon Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
around
mama

where are we going? why are we in this handbasket?

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2008 11:02:22 AM »

THANK you so much!!
i'm mathematically challenged
and was wondering what i could possibly do to make a dress like yours!!
it's gorgeous!
and you're not only a natural seamstress, you're also a natural tute-maker!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

the centuries are sprinkled with rare magic and divine creatures who help us get past the common and extraordinary ills that beset us

Favorite Craftster quote --
"Normal" is for chumps, suckers and saps. -TheMistressT
lianatempera
Happiness is Created. Creating IS Happiness

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2008 07:10:10 AM »

Thank you so much for a tute. Now all I need to do is find some fabric for this lovely dress......i'm thinking....pink...and green....
I LOVE your clothes.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

imwomn13

« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2008 11:23:27 AM »

Thank you so much for a tute. Now all I need to do is find some fabric for this lovely dress......i'm thinking....pink...and green....
I LOVE your clothes.

Thanks - I made one almost like it - longer - different straps - in completed clothes for kids - for my favorite 5 year old.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

This posting is a natural product made from recycled electrons. The slight variations in spelling and grammar enhance its individual character and beauty and in no way are to be considered flaws or defects.

imwomn13

« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2008 11:26:39 AM »

Here's the photo.....didn't think to just put it up.... Tongue

This dress is much, much eaiser to make for a child. Took 2 hours with help from 5-year-old to complete and the one for myself took a few days....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Ezri_B
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2008 12:09:40 PM »

Lovely! What a wonderful tute also. I have been thinking of making myself a dress/skirt similar, but you took all the brain work out for me! I really appreciate this!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Author Simon Sinek on Traveling to Distant and Unfamiliar Places
Susan Orlean on Rin Tin Tin: The Life and the Legend
Terra Elan McVoy on Being Friends With Boys
Jeremy Toombs Performs His Poem "The Alleppey Express"
Finale Book Trailer
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...