A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,927
Currently Running With Scissors:
515 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: from 2006 les paul to retro rockin' rockabilly guitar! (pic heavy)  (Read 15330 times)
Tags for this thread: craftster_best_of_2008  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

ars_anima
« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2008 12:10:12 PM »

yeah, I understand^^ it's nice to see it's such a caring community....

now let's get back on topic!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

For all things creepy & crafty, take a look at My Blog!
Foisty
« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2008 03:06:16 PM »

Thats awsome!!! I wouldnt have been able to tear it apart. The devils great. Im partial to the cigar.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ars_anima
« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2008 08:20:19 PM »

yeah now I look at it, a symmetrical grin would have looked probably better... but I like it anyways! thanks^^
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Not A Reindeer
« Reply #43 on: June 27, 2008 11:01:18 AM »

I am so hitting this rocks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Foisty
« Reply #44 on: June 27, 2008 05:45:21 PM »

No no you misunderstand I LIKE the cigar-gives him character  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
biggreenfeet

the extroverted intovert

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: June 28, 2008 08:27:16 PM »

having a copyright violated not so long ago, there's nothing more insulting to me than to be accused of plagiarism, although I understand Biggreenfeet for believing i've copied coop, since she probably thought he was the one who was the first to design a greaser, cigar smoking devil. Although a little more research of rockabilly culture and old school tattoo designs wouldn't have hurted hurt her.

Your original post stated that you had NO reference, when in fact you had a lot of reference- rockabilly "culture." That was my entire point. You can draw what you want free-handed, but the originality of the idea is rather ruined. I in no way knocked or put down what you specifically DID to your guitar. I didn't put down the paint job, or the rendering quality, I was simply making a point that it has been done before, and something this wide-spread in popular culture isn't truly original. It wasn't hostility, it was a knee-jerk reaction. I suppose one of my pet peeves is this constant regurgitating of pop-culture themes that people seem to think are original ideas, when, by this point EVERYONE has seen them. Examples: Skulls and crossbones, devil heads (cigars or no), nautical stars, swallows, hearts, stars, roses, boat anchors, and/ or any other form of "old school" tattoo flash. That doesn't mean we can't all find original ways to use these symbols (like painting them on our instruments), I just certainly wouldn't take complete credit for an image that saturates a pop-culture market just because I happened to try my hand at drawing it in my own style.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

I don't want a pickle. Just wanna' ride my motor-cickle.
BabyCakes8510

*Sparkly like a holiday*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: June 29, 2008 10:59:18 AM »

ars_anima: I think most of us understood in your mention of "reference" you meant that you had nothing to look from as you painted it. And it is also OBVIOUS that it is influenced by the culture.

Why is is it necessary to pick apart someones words and work? If viewers haven't anything supportive to say leave it alone. It has brought a dark cloud on a work that deserves appreciation. Encase you have forgotten, not everyone has creative talents. When someone displays something on here there are looking for input BUT biggreenfeet's comments have left a bad taste in my mouth.

I have appreciated your work since the swallows. I hope that arrogance such as that doesn't deter you from posting. I look forward to your next projects.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ars_anima
« Reply #47 on: June 29, 2008 07:00:32 PM »

Not a reindeer: thanks a lot!

Foisty: sorry for the misunderstanding ^^' seems there's a lot of them happening to me these days Tongue

BabyCakes: I think you understand perfectly! it's probably caused by a language barrier (I'm french). your point of view is also very helpfull. And thank you for your nice comment^^

as for deterring me from posting, i'd need much more negativity! In life, you gotta learn to live with all opinions, good or bad, so I have no problem shrugging this off.

biggreenfeet: Come on, read my first post, read the title. It's obvious that I was trying to recreate a style and theme that has already been done! what's with insinuating that I take all the credit for the image?

and since I didn't refer to any picture during the designing stage of the picture on my guitar, I can say I didn't use any reference. I was proud of the devil I designed from an anatomic point of view and because of the fact that my usual style is far less "cartoony", not  because of the subject matter of the drawing. however, I never denied being inspired by anything, which would be stupid since the whole project was inspired by rockabilly culture. In your post, you're mixing these two terms (reference and inspiration)

and I did not do this guitar to be original, because I know from the overabundance of retro-themed crafts and artwork on here, that such retro imagery is, pardon my french, "rchauff". I refinished my guitar that way because I LIKE it. nothing more. and if you have a problem with the fact that I enjoy how "constantly regurgitated" pop icons look like, it should be discussed in private, not hijacking this topic.

Now that you've done your contribution to this thread and defended your point of you, unless you don't have anything constructive to add about my guitar from a practical point of view, then I don't know how you can contribute anymore.

back to topic, now, guys & gals? Smiley
« Last Edit: June 29, 2008 10:27:08 PM by ars_anima » THIS ROCKS   Logged

jdb822
« Reply #48 on: June 30, 2008 09:24:42 AM »

That's a really great talent you have there - the painting, not the guitar haha. I'm sure that's great too.

Anyways, I'm not sure if it's been mentioned here yet, but you should advertise yourself! You could start up a little guitar painting business. You definitely have the required skills.

I'd pay you to paint my guitar!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ars_anima
« Reply #49 on: June 30, 2008 09:36:19 AM »

It would be a nice job indeed, but i'm not confident enough in my skills at taking appart and rebuilding a guitar (I rewired mine with tape, for example) to do it. also, because of the time it takes to do such a refinishing without the right tools, I would have to charge a lot for it to be worth the trouble.

but thanks a lot^^
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 12 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Curl Hair with A Flat Iron
How to change an Old Hairstyle for a New Look
How to get a New Look for Your Hair
How to Get Sexy Hair Waves with a Hair Straightener
How to Create Sexy Waves with a Ceramic Hair Flat Iron
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...