A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 296,752
Currently Running With Scissors:
631 Guests and 39 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: from 2006 les paul to retro rockin' rockabilly guitar! (pic heavy)  (Read 14466 times)
Tags for this thread: craftster_best_of_2008  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

lapine403

Come up to the lab and see what's on the slab

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2008 11:31:40 AM »

Farking awesome!!!
 Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ars_anima
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2008 03:36:01 PM »

wow, that's more comments in one shot than I'm used to answer! thanks to all!^^

mr.sweets4ever: actually, I wasn't myself sure about the outcome of the guitar. once it was stained, all I knew is that I wanted some rockabilly themed artwork, maybe something like the omnipresent smoking devil you find on zippo's posters and everything. I finally designed it and painted it the same day I stained the guitar. Also, the finish was a big problem, I wanted something like an used factory finish, and didn't know how to achieve this... but with a bit of polishing compound, turtlewax and fine grit sandpaper I pulled it off pretty well I think!^^

craft the world: the lines are painted on with a scrolling brush.

jadegreen: haha you better not do it Wink his les paul is probably more expensive then mine (they can get up to a few grands), and without proper knowledge of how an electric guitar works and is put together, there's a big chance it might never work again  Tongue

And yeah, it's pretty heavy! his les paul probably has a basswood body (at least mine has), which is heavier than the alder most kramers are made of.

Biggreenfeet:

The red faced devil with a creepy grin, a cigar hanging from his mouth, a goatee and pencil thin mustache and greased hair is an important icon in the rockabilly culture. Lucky 13's devil designs, coop's smoking devil (which is now seen almost everywhere, and is so omnipresent it's almost impossible not to be influenced by it), some of sailor jerry's work, and countless tattoos and tattoo flash i've seen all have the same basics. Actually, if I showed you the line work of my design (now uploaded to my first post), you'd see it actually looks like Jafar from aladdin, not coop's smoking devil. only the color and the curvier appearance caused by my paintstrokes makes it look like coop's work. the angle of the head also brings coop's image to mind, but considering the position of the design and the banner behind it, such an angle is much more aesthetically pleasing and fitting then, let's say, a view, which would unbalance the flat appearance I was aiming for and give unwanted depth to the picture. it would also make it look like the devil on lucky 13's pommade tins, so wouldn't have protected me from accusations. Try and draw a rockabilly styled devil that doesn't look like the one on my guitar, coop's work, what you see on some of lucky 13's gear, or on countless tattoo flash pictures. not as easy as it seems!

sugar high: sorry, i'm taken  Cheesy

80years at heart: Oh I can play, i'm just not that good Wink

sweets4ever: my pleasure!^^
« Last Edit: June 24, 2008 05:59:21 PM by ars_anima » THIS ROCKS   Logged

For all things creepy & crafty, take a look at My Blog!
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2008 04:26:50 PM »

Try and draw a rockabilly styled devil that doesn't look like the one on my guitar, coop's work, what you see on some of lucky 13's gear, or on countless tattoo flash pictures. not as easy as it seems!

Very true! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Craftster has gone mobile!!  Read the news here.
mr.sweets4ever

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2008 06:55:47 PM »

jadegreen: haha you better not do it Wink his les paul is probably more expensive then mine (they can get up to a few grands), and without proper knowledge of how an electric guitar works and is put together, there's a big chance it might never work again  Tongue

I honestly think you increased the value of this guitar by doing this.  This could be a calling for you.  I actually told a couple of people at work about this.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hello there!  I'm the signature, thanks for looking.
sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 24, 2008 06:56:54 PM »

I honestly think you increased the value of this guitar by doing this.  This could be a calling for you.  I actually told a couple of people at work about this.

*looks at the guitar I bought you*

Don't get any ideas... Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

mr.sweets4ever

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 24, 2008 07:17:55 PM »

*looks at the guitar I bought you*

Don't get any ideas... Cheesy

*grabs the power sander and some stain*
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Hello there!  I'm the signature, thanks for looking.
jadegreen
« Reply #36 on: June 24, 2008 11:10:00 PM »

Yes I would never do it to his as it is a limited edition les paul and worth probably more than his love for me haha. However putting it back together would be no probs as he is a big nerd and builds amps etc...he's pretty handy. I'm kind of tempted to attack my bass but it cost me a grand....hrmm. Maybe time to buy a cheap guitar purely for decorative purposes?

Also, I don't really think your devil looks like coops but that's just my oppinion.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ars_anima
« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2008 11:45:52 AM »

mr.sweets4ever: meh, depends for whom Wink for those who would actually play the guitar, the value probably has been brought down, since I suck at reparing electronics and just taped the wires back together Tongue

for someone who would just expose it, however, you're right since a hand painted original work of art is really worth more than a black factory finish!

one thing I might do, though, is offer to refinish guitar, as long as the customer removes the hardware and reassembles the guitar himself. I'll think about it  Smiley

jadegreen: I'd strongly suggest using an used or cheap guitar for this, or at least, if you have more than one, the less valuable. after all, if you use your best bass/guitar,  even if you know 100% what you're doing, you still won't be able to play it for at least a week depending on your clearcoat's drying time, which sucks.

and thanks to you and sweets4ever to support me^^ having a copyright violated not so long ago, there's nothing more insulting to me than to be accused of plagiarism, although I understand Biggreenfeet for believing i've copied coop, since she probably thought he was the one who was the first to design a greaser, cigar smoking devil. Although a little more research of rockabilly culture and old school tattoo designs wouldn't have hurted her.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

For all things creepy & crafty, take a look at My Blog!
BabyCakes8510

*Sparkly like a holiday*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2008 02:40:47 PM »

and thanks to you and sweets4ever to support me^^ having a copyright violated not so long ago, there's nothing more insulting to me than to be accused of plagiarism, although I understand Biggreenfeet for believing i've copied coop, since she probably thought he was the one who was the first to design a greaser, cigar smoking devil. Although a little more research of rockabilly culture and old school tattoo designs wouldn't have hurted her.

cheers to that
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008 02:42:24 PM by BabyCakes8510 » THIS ROCKS   Logged

sweets4ever
Administrator
Tutorial Contributor

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2008 03:41:43 PM »

I think we all just stick up for all artists in one way or another. Smiley

Our community has so many indie artists and creations.  It does feel good to know that we all look out for each other (you, me and Coop!) even if sometimes the questions sting a little bit. Cheesy  Thanks for taking the time to explain yourself and your creation.  I'm sure everyone understands. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Easy Side Ponytail Tutorial
Romantic Hairstyles at the Charlotte Ronson FW 2014 Presentation
The 5-Minute Heart-Shaped Braid Tutorial That You Will Love!
How to Apply Chalk to Your Hair
Hair Tips: How To Wake Up With Curls (Using No Heat)!
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quick and Easy Organizer
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...