A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 302,607
Currently Running With Scissors:
416 Guests and 5 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Sweeney Todd-a-long ("By The Sea" Bathing Costumes)  (Read 8880 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

GirlOutlaw
« on: June 22, 2008 05:59:33 PM »

So I watched the movie Sweeny Todd and fell in love with the bathing costumes in the “By The Sea” Song. And have decided to recreate Mrs. Lovett’s outfit for a local festival coming up in July.

I posted in the clothing help section (http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=239111.0) a while back about needing help with this costume and got lots of response so I decided to open this project up for a craft/sew – a – long. I would love to have others to craft this with please post if you are into it!

Originally I was going to make this for myself but now I only have time to make one costume so this will be for my 3year old daughter for the kids costume contest (she won last year and has to defend her title). Last year I did a Saloon / Dance Hall Girl costume for her. This festival is for the 1890-1915 time frames only. Yes I know the movie was set much earlier then that but Bathing costumes didn’t change too much over that time really, and I don’t think anyone will know anyway. I couldn’t find a pattern in my DD’s size so I am going to draft my own.

I went to Joanne’s today and bought fabric and notions so I think as soon as I get the pattern worked out I am ready to start.

Wish me luck and Happy Crafting
GirlOutlaw
« Last Edit: January 12, 2010 01:18:41 AM by GirlOutlaw » THIS ROCKS   Logged
itsnubs
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2008 06:26:47 PM »

good luck! i loved the bathing suits in sweeney todd, and i love the costumes too. i bet she will be able to keep her title again this year, because it should turn out fabulous! have fun sewing it and i cant wait for pictures!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Live the life you love. <3
cigarettesandvalentines
Red ships of Spain!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2008 09:15:56 PM »

I don't know if anyone's suggested this yet, but totally check out http://www.costumersguide.com!
  She has lots of research on movie costumes and it's a really really helpful resource (I've used it several times)!  I know she has a Sweeney Todd section.

Good luck! Can't wait to see the finished product
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Someone has to go back and get a shitload of dimes."

Personal Swaps? Love 'em! Drop me a PM

etsy! http://www.etsy.com/shop/historystuffed

http://hamiltonsstupidhat.blogspot.com/
Ribble-icious
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2008 06:35:12 AM »

Sweeny Todd is a great movie!!  I loved the costumes (and Johhny Depp!!)...so I am very excited to see what you come up with...Have fun with it!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Alatarial
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2008 06:57:49 PM »

I loved the movie and the costumes SOO much...I might have to join in =]
Let's see
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://pinterest.com/elenc/

Will personal swap! Please, PM me!
GirlOutlaw
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2008 06:55:08 PM »

well tho i don't have any photos right now i can say that i am almost done with the top just have to add the sailor collar. Pants will be started next week after the holiday.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
auroraskye

i'll make it to the moon if i have to crawl

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2008 04:25:02 PM »

Oooh. I am so game for this. Still planning on making these costumes for mine and my hubby's halloween costumes. His should whip up easy peasy so I may do it first.

Okay question.. are you cutting the bodice and bloomers as one piece?

Here is my pattern piece list so far.. not including any interfacing and lining yet.

Brian -

Sleeves  (2) - Stripes
Cuffs (2) - White knit
Front (1) - Stripes
Back (1) - Stripes

Me -
Sleeves (2)
Upper Collar (1)
under Collar (1)
Leg Flounce (2)
Leg Cuff (2)
Bloomer Legs (2)
Striped Tube Top (1)
Front Bodice (2)
Back Bodice (1)
Belt (2)
Waist Flounce (8-10 pieces??)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2008 04:47:23 PM by auroraskye » THIS ROCKS   Logged
GirlOutlaw
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2008 07:18:45 PM »

Okay question.. are you cutting the bodice and bloomers as one piece?

Here is my pattern piece list so far.. not including any interfacing and lining yet.

I studied the pictures the best i could and decided to do a two piece top and bottom (although it looks like there may also be in "under shirt" but i did it as a faux, a dicki (sp?) i think it is called.). I started by making the top as just a regular top and then added the cuffs to the 3/4 sleeve. Then added the blue and white pleats to the bottom of the bodice as in extra piece as the belt will cover the seam anyways. Next i made and added the sailor collar (as a removable piece) with the faux "under shirt" attached. Next I added the red trim to all the edges and made the belt I have yet to buy a buckle. I bought sailor style anchor buttons instead of the round ones in the film though (i just like them better is all)

At this point i tried it on my model and to my horror it was WAY to big, because it is only a costume i think i am going to put a slit opening on the back with just Velcro to do the resize rather then start over or take the whole thing apart. And the belt when applied should help too.

Pants are next and i am making them with a high waist to avoid any gap between the bodice and the bottoms.

And I am not adding any liner to the top or bottoms only because it is for my 3year old and for a summer event and I don't want her dying in the heat. I am using bottom weight fabric (because I think it lays better for this type of outfit) and it thick enough with out a liner.

So glad that your are on board with this project, keeping posting your progress! Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rubyredeyes
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2008 09:39:28 PM »

Hell ya!  Cheesy  I'm in. I will start as soon as I can.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Out of my fog and into my reality.
KawaiiKatie
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2008 10:23:12 PM »

I really want to do this for my husband and I..
But my sewing machine wont be here until October!!
T_T

(Just moved to Japan in June) We don't know why it is taking so long....>.>
That's what you get when civilians work for the army and don't care to do their job..V.v

Anywho..I want to do this so bad!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Paint Abstract Flowers With Acrylic
Texturing and Blending With Acrylic Paint
Acrylic Brush Strokes Techniques
How to Tag Like a Real Graffiti Artist
An Artists Transforms a Washington Church Into a Striking Landmark
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight on: Book Making & Binding
@Home This Weekend: Magical Fairy Garden
DIY Summer

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...