A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 306,053
Currently Running With Scissors:
323 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Painting With Liquid Clay Tutorial (beginner)  (Read 9763 times)
Tags for this thread: tutorial  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

teapotdnky
Tutorial Contributor

Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

Obomaboe?

Craft or Die

View Profile available for personal swaps
« on: June 22, 2008 04:03:45 PM »

This is a fun and easy way of designing your very own window clings.  Smiley Anything you can paint can be a cling!

Supplies:
Liquid Clay (TLS)
cheap oil paints
paint brushes
rubbing alcohol (to clean your brushes)
Pane of glass (I use the glass that comes in picture frames)

Tint your liquid clay with the oil paints in desired colors. Don't make too much more than you think you'll need because over time (a few hours) the oil paints start to thicken making it harder to paint. If that happens, just add a bit more TLS.

Make sure your glass is clean and smooth. Start painting away! This weeping willow was made by blobbing lots of clay on the glass and sweeping a stiff brush in a downward motion. Don't be afraid to bake your project in stages!

Paint your smaller details on top. Bake it on the glass

Peel and stick.  Cheesy

« Last Edit: June 22, 2008 04:05:18 PM by teapotdnky » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest

Guess who's back?
LeapFeetFirst

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2008 04:12:37 PM »

that is awesome! How long will it stay up? can you apply it to other surfaces other than windows? Thank you so much for sharing this.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

teapotdnky
Tutorial Contributor

Obomaboe?

Craft or Die

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2008 04:51:57 PM »

It will stay up on any smooth clean surface as long as you want! If it gets dusty and doesn't stick anymore just rinse it with water and let it dry.  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest

Guess who's back?
Orrkid
Crafty WICHITANS Unite!

I'm addicted to DDR. I need a 12-step program.

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2008 07:11:54 AM »

Heh, I've been looking everywhere for how to make your own clings (do these do walls as well as windows?)! I finally found one a few days ago, but this looks much more fun. Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

But we have flamethrowers. And what this indicates to me, it means that at some point, some person said to himself, "Gee, I sure would like to set those people on fire over there. But I'm way too far away to get the job done. If only I had something that would throw flame on them."
Diane B.

GlassAttic --polymer clay "encyclopedia"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2008 09:38:46 AM »

Great tutorial!  Liquid polymer clay is a whole treasure unto itself!

What temp did you use for your cling, and how long?

I wanted to mention that if a liquid clay cling doesn't want to stick to a window, here are some tips from my site:
...make sure the slick side of the cling is next to the window...one side, or both, should be shiny smooth. Valerie
...clean the shiny side with alcohol ...there should be no oils or any thing between the plastic of the cling and the glass of the window. Valerie
...or to degrease, wash the cling itself in a dilute detergent solution (like dish liquid)...then do a short soak in quite hot water that's very clean...while they're still hot and wet, attach them to the cleaned glass surface where you want them. It isn't sticking by static--- it's more an "attraction of surfaces," which can be upset by some surfactant chemicals like soaps or emulsifiers. Alan
...sometimes it also helps if the glass of the window is not too cold. Valerie

All kinds of fun things that can be put into liquid clay clings beside oil paint are "inclusions" like polyester glitters, metallic powders and ground spices, and larger things like bits of metallic leaf, gratings from crayons/pastels, fine wire, and even solid polymer clay, etc... clings can be made opaque, transparent, or translucent depending on how they're colored and heated, and they can also be made with "ropes" between the colors for simulating stained glass, or they can be drizzled around for a making a lacy cling, they can have metallic leaf behind them which shows through if the clings are translucent, patterns can be "combed" or marbelized in different colors of liquid clay in a cling with various tools, etc.

Instead of being stuck on a window, they can also be pressed onto any very smooth surface (mirrors, smooth metal, etc.), or they can be attached to other objects with clear glues or even with liquid polymer clay if it's baked afterwards to cure the liquid clay.  Properly cured liquid clays are very tough, and if thick almost impossible to tear. 
Here are some other ideas for using clings:
...as a translucent "covering" for items such as glass votives, etc.
...to "cover" other polymer clay shapes and bases completely or partly (beads, boxes, etc.) ... liquid clay films will flex in one direction at one time only though
...can be glued onto most non-polymer surfaces as well (paper, painted surfaces, metal, etc., just like any other embellishment using liquid clay or an appropriate glue --clear glue, if necessary)
...as bits which are held in "cells" of clay or of other materials (faux cloisonne, etc.)
.........I used mine as decal 'tiles' for embellishing boxes. Ruth
...if they're sufficiently thick, they can be used as freestanding clear or translucent wings... or as other accessories for sculpts ...as "hinges" for books and notepads and pendants... as freestanding light shields or book fronts (mini-books or larger), and loads more

There's more info, lessons, and links to examples of clings and other freestanding liquid clay films on this page if anyone is interested:
http://www.glassattic.com/polymer/LiquidSculpey.htm
(...click on Films, then look especially for "Clings")

Diane B.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2008 10:36:07 AM by Diane B. » THIS ROCKS   Logged

POLYMER CLAY "ENCYCLOPEDIA" 
http://glassattic.com/polymer/contents.htm
few of my photos
http://s96.photobucket.com/albums/l163/DianeBB
(had to move them from YahooPhotos, so many now without captions)
teapotdnky
Tutorial Contributor

Obomaboe?

Craft or Die

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2008 10:13:42 AM »

Heh, I've been looking everywhere for how to make your own clings (do these do walls as well as windows?)! I finally found one a few days ago, but this looks much more fun. Cheesy

Unfortunately, they don't stick to walls.  Tongue they only stick to things that are super smooth. I made a salad once for my refrigerator though, and all the toppings were interchangable.  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest

Guess who's back?
Lique
My Motto: If you can't find it, buy another one.

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2008 07:40:15 AM »

I had no idea you could paint with tls, how cool is that. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

beadizzygrl
Tutorial Contributor

My Perty Thangs......If the green light is on, I am home!!

MONSTER good luck coming my way!

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2008 08:36:28 PM »

Unfortunately, they don't stick to walls.  Tongue they only stick to things that are super smooth. I made a salad once for my refrigerator though, and all the toppings were interchangable.  Cheesy

Teapot, is there any chance of sharing a pic of your salad clings?  A pizza with interchangable toppings sounds fun!!!   Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Gina
I am not obsessed with Perty Thangs, I am disciplined...

I have alot to share, all you gotta do is ask.

Crochet, x-stitch, Ribbon embroidery, plastic canvas, beadwork, polymer clay, wire work, and now TATTING!!  Please help me learn to knit, then I might be complete.
teapotdnky
Tutorial Contributor

Obomaboe?

Craft or Die

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2008 08:52:06 AM »

Teapot, is there any chance of sharing a pic of your salad clings?  A pizza with interchangable toppings sounds fun!!!   Tongue

Sadly enough, a friend of mine loved them so much I gave them away.  Cry A pizza would be fun!  Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pinterest

Guess who's back?
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Stenciled Table
Tute Tuesday: Mrs. Weasley Inspired Burrow Afghan
Creative Craft Supplies

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...