A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 305,018
Currently Running With Scissors:
471 Guests and 12 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: knitting for all! -knitting research update-  (Read 773 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

kneesocky
« on: August 19, 2004 05:18:18 AM »

*the master's dissertation is done and dusted!... now go read the last post in this thread for the update!*

it's good to exercise your creativity.

i'm currently writing (not to mention fretting over) my dissertation, which is about knitting and its current resurgence. now that knitting is no longer something we have to do (in order to clothe ourselves and loved ones), why are we doing it?

if you have a minute, please consider the questions below. it would help me in my research a great deal and is relatively painless, i promise. and yes, despite what it may seem, i am way over 12 years old.

1. how did you learn to knit? how old were you then and old are you now?

2. knitting = nesting? is your knitting a way of getting back to simpler times?

3. in regards to the current resurgence in knitting, when do you think it started and why?

4. do you have a crafty group that you meet with? how often? why do you dig it?

5. where do you go online to discuss/learn/share your craftiness? how do these sites inspire you in ways
that real life conversations don't?

6. is there a subversive element to knitting? a punk rock element? or simply a DIY smugness?

7. why do you knit?

8. what other crafty things do you do besides knitting?

9. the future of knitting- is there one or are we just kidding ourselves?

10. do you prefer to knit alone or with other people? why?

11. true or false: can craft save us all? (elaboration here would be nice, but not necessary.)

if there's anything else you would like to add on this topic, feel free. if you could send your answers to betsy@craftivism.com, i would be grateful.

thanks again for helping me with this research. and for making craft rock.

x
betsy

p.s. i'm sorry if you see this more than once. it's my intention to get a wide variety of answers, not to annoy your every step on the web. feel free to pass this on to anyone else you think might be interested.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2005 11:03:27 AM by kneesocky » THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://www.craftivism.com: wee, yet mighty!
vanillaxlight
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2004 06:58:34 AM »

aw! I wish I knit so I could answer this. Sadly, I only crochet.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm no longer a moderator, but I will always love June 2005 - October 2008

http://robotsinagrid.com
girlypirate

my arms are too short to box with God.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2004 08:30:07 AM »

1. how did you learn to knit? how old were you then and old are you now? i learned to knit when i was 6 from my neighbor after my mom got frustrated trying to teach me.  i am now 17.

2. knitting = nesting? is your knitting a way of getting back to simpler times?  knitting is just a really great hobby.  i'm very active with my hands and i feel like i need to be.  i'm almost sure it's why i smoke, knit, bite my fingernails, cook, make jewelry, whatever.  i think my life is pretty modern what with college and a job and all.  i pay my bills, and i have free time to knit for pleasure.  in "simpler" times, knitting would be more of a chore and a necessity than a choice.

3. in regards to the current resurgence in knitting, when do you think it started and why?  i think that people have a hardwired desire to make things from scratch.  knitting fills that need very well, is portable, and communal.  i imagine the present knitting craze started about five or so years ago when crafty girls started realizing that there was another medium out there to express themselves.  same with any technique, really, like when sewing kicked back in 10 or so years ago.

4. do you have a crafty group that you meet with? how often? why do you dig it? i don't meet with any specific crafty group because i live a bit off the beaten path.  i do however teach my friends many of my various techniques and we'll craft when hanging out.

5. where do you go online to discuss/learn/share your craftiness? how do these sites inspire you in ways
that real life conversations don't? craft sites offer pictures and tutorials that a simple conversations often can't offer.  people don't tend to carry all their crafty projects about with them.

6. is there a subversive element to knitting? a punk rock element? or simply a DIY smugness? probably, but no one let me in, so i just keep at it with a smile.

7. why do you knit? it's relaxing, productive and rhythmic.  i love rhythm.

8. what other crafty things do you do besides knitting? i make jewelry, sew, make pottery, take photographs, anthing i can get my hands on really.

9. the future of knitting- is there one or are we just kidding ourselves? i'll knit until i die.  11 years and going strong, i know it'll be here as long as i am, and i share it with others.

10. do you prefer to knit alone or with other people? why? either.  i'd just prefer to be knitting.

11. true or false: can craft save us all? (elaboration here would be nice, but not necessary.) craft relieves symptoms of depression and various other mental ailments.  it makes products that are very satisfying.  it may not save us all, but it helps out a hell of a lot.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kategirl

queen of awkward

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2004 03:26:43 PM »

well, apparently I first learned to knit when I was a kid (8ish, maybe?) because I found some knitting I did when I learned.  it was only a few inches, and that's all I ever did, and when I took up knitting again I couldn't remember anything.  when I really earned, I was 17 (almost 18), a senior in high school, and I taught myself from a book and the internet.  I'm 19 (almost 20) now.

2. knitting = nesting? is your knitting a way of getting back to simpler times?\
sort of.  knitting is very relaxing to me, so I tend to knit when life is frantic.

3. in regards to the current resurgence in knitting, when do you think it started and why?
no clue.  probably just because we're at a time when most of our moms (at least my friends' moms and such) didn't knit much when we were young, so knitting wasn't seen as motherly or uncool.  now it just seems retro.

nope.  I wish I did.

that real life conversations don't?
mosty just craftster.org...  since I don't get many real life conversations at all, this is a great place.  I think the internet inspires me more than people in real life because of the large quantity of different amazing things that people have made.

6. is there a subversive element to knitting? a punk rock element? or simply a DIY smugness?
all of the above.  I love being able to make things how I want them to be, not how some designer wants it.  I also love being able to make something for much less than I could buy it for.

7. why do you knit?
I'm not really sure.  it feels good to make something to me, to work on something and be able to walk away from the experience with something to show for it.  it amazes me how you can take a ball of string and turn it into a scarf or a sweater or something else.

lots.  sewing, jewelry making, book binding, card making, emroidery, and just about anything else I feel like doing.

knitting has been around for centuries and it'll be around for centuries more, period.  even when it's no longer trendy, some people will continue to carry on the tradition.

I've never knitted with other people, so I really don't know.

11. true or false: can craft save us all? (elaboration here would be nice, but not necessary.)
true.  it has saved me, no question about it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

kneesocky
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2004 03:37:32 AM »

yay! thank you thank you!!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

melidomi

knit like the wind!

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2004 07:14:05 AM »

it's good to exercise your creativity.
The first time I learned to knit I was about 3 or 6.  My family was living in England, and my babysitter taught my mom and I.  I forgot how, but my mom kept it up, and re-taught me several times.  I'm now 29 and knitting fairly obsessively

Eh.  It is relaxing and sort of cozy.  And it's nice to be able to make something with your hands for someone you love, but I don't really see it as nesting or getting back to simpler times.  I do it purely for my own enjoyment.

I'm not really sure - I started hearing (with great suprise) that friends of mine were knitting, and I hadn't even taught them!  I have heard it traced back to 9/11 - people wanting to spend more time at home with loved ones, knitting being something you can do anywhere in any environment, yet having a 'caring' vibe to it made it the sort of thing that would catch on.

I'm trying!  So far my crafty group consists of me and one other craftster.  We meet almost every week.  It's nice to be able to discuss crafts and places to get supplies, etc.  Hopefully when there are more people we can do a rotating teaching kind of thing, so we can all learn new stuff.

5. where do you go online to discuss/learn/share your craftiness? how do these sites inspire you in ways that real life conversations don't?
I spend a lot of time on craftster.org.  I also visit some knitting sites and bulletin boards - there's one on elann.com, knitty.com, tkga.com.  I am the most crafty of my circle of friends, so I often find all kinds of inspiration on craftster that I've never seen elsewhere.  I also like to be able to help people out when they get stuck.  Likewise if I have a knitting problem that my mom can't help me with, i can often find the help I need on craftster or one of the knitting boards.

Knitting can have whatever element you bring to it.  I'll admit I *love* to respond to 'what a beautiful sweater' with 'thanks, I made it.'  The beauty of knitting (or sewing or any other craft) is that you can make something that suits your style or social conscience.   you can copy a sweater you saw at an overpriced boutique (although with yarn prices the way they are, you probably aren't saving money), you can take a design that's just like what everyone is wearing and add your own subversive/punk/whatever element to it, or you can branch out and design something totally new and unique.

7. why do you knit?
Because I enjoy it.  It is soothing and relaxing, and gives me a sense of accomplishment when I finish a beautiful garment.  It also keeps my hands and a tiny part of my mind occupied while watching tv, or while my boyfriend plays video games or whatever. 

I sew, embroider, cook (does that count?), all kinds of stuff.

I'll do either.  Although I don't have much experience knitting with other people knitting - except my mom.  She's great for getting you out of a jam if you get stuck or confused.  Usually if I'm knitting alone, I'll have some other kind of entertainment going, too - tv or radio or something.  If there are other people around I can carry on a conversation or whatever and still knit.  So that's nice.

It can certainly save your sanity.  When work or other parts of your life are not going well or feel totally out of your control, you can come back to your craft, and make something good. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged
bookwormbry

Dressing the world, one dog at a time

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2004 11:45:00 AM »

I learned to knit when I was around 8, I think. First I learned to crochet from my grandma, but I knit/crochet really tight, and crocheting was a lot harder to do tightly, so I moved on to knitting very quickly when my mom showed me how. I'm now 17.

Simpler times, maybe. Knitting for me is a break from school and work and stress, plus I get something when I'm done.

I think now it's "cooler" to have something you made yourself. Painting/decorating your house is cool now, sewing something trendy for yourself is cool now, etc. Right now, it's cool to be smart and educated and be a "90's woman", but also be able to cook and clean and craft like a 50s housewife. Interesting turn of events, where we are today.

No crafty group for me... I'm too shy for groups in person. Smiley I craft with my mom and grandmothers.

5. where do you go online to discuss/learn/share your craftiness? how do these sites inspire you in ways that real life conversations don't?
I go here (craftster.org), I go to Martha Stewart's website, I go to knitty.com. Mostly for ideas, I'm not a pattern person, but I love getting new ideas. I think they inspire me more because I can take someone's ideas and make them my own - because I'm not touching and seeing the object up close, I have to put my own twist on it and that interests me. I almost see it as a puzzle, I have figure out how to do it from pictures or text.\

Depends on the knitter. For me, I like knowing that I made it and I made it for cheap. That makes the bargain hunter in me very happy. Smiley

7. why do you knit?
I knit to defocus myself from school or stress. I turn on a movie, and start knitting. I don't like doing something where my hands aren't busy. If I'm reading a book, I'll do my nails or knit. If I'm watching a movie, I have to be doing homework or knitting or sewing. Knitting keeps my hands busy. And it's fun. Smiley

I sew clothes, I quilt, I cross stitch. I also do graphic and website design, which I call crafty too. Smiley I've tried almost everything once, jewelry, photography, etc., but sewing and knitting have remained my favorites. Quilting just aggravates me.

There's definitely a future. I know I'll teach my kids.

Doesn't matter.

Yup, it can. Crafts are a nice, safe, productive addiction. Smiley They keep us happy, relieve the stress, and encourage friendships with other people. Look at all the people gathered here over crafts.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
kneesocky
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2005 07:18:35 AM »

hello there, i just wanted to say thank you to all the people who responded to this thread and emailed me their answers.

in the end, i got over 150 responses! hooray!

if anyone's interested in the results, you can read them here.

x

thanks so much!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Use Dry Shampoo to Make Your Blowout Last for Days
Emo Hair: Haircuts for Boys
Emo Hair: Haircuts for Girls
How to Remove Hair Extensions
How to Get What You Want at the Hairdressers
Latest Blog Articles
October 29, 2014 Featured Projects
Craft Challenge #103, Foodie Frenzy 2 Winner
Tute Tuesday: Upcycled Car Trash Bag with Liner

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...