A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Fanatic Friends of Craftster now have the ability to disable ads on Craftster! Read more here.
Total Members: 299,142
Currently Running With Scissors:
601 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 178
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Clapotis from Knitty  (Read 245893 times)
Tags for this thread: clapotis  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

MissLulu
« Reply #530 on: April 22, 2006 09:46:08 PM »

I have leapt onto the bandwagon and already have a question! (forgive me if it's been answered...)

I am using blue sky alpaca/silk and size 6 needles so am worried it's going to be tiny! I want to make it wider - this means doing a few more of the increases, right? will i have to do anything different when I come to the next section?

thank you all so much. better late than never, right?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rachillsk8
« Reply #531 on: April 23, 2006 10:09:05 AM »

My yarn came the other day while I was out of town!  I'm doing it in Knit Picks Gossamer in Caribbean:
http://www.knitpicks.com/yarns/itemid_5420128/yarn_display.aspx

I'll probably cast on tomorrow Smiley

Oh my goodness!  I love that colour sooo much... and I love that shop!! When I'm all growed up and actually am working instead of going to school, I'm going to have to buy aaaaall sorts of goodies from there.

I can't wait to see how it looks.  You *must* post when you get something on needles Cheesy

Ugh...I'm to the middle straight row section, NOT a fan of how it looks in this yarn.  My boyfriend says it looks like a dishcloth.  LOL.  I might frog it and give my cousin the lace shawl I've been working on as a gift instead (if I can bear to part with it).  Not sure what else to do with this yarn...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

AngiR
« Reply #532 on: April 23, 2006 10:42:09 AM »

I really wish I had seen this a few weeks ago.  I'm almost done with my clapotis.  I did it in a yarn that was in the clearance section at the LYS (50% off!).  It is ONLine Linie 88 Feeling in a pale yellow, a yarn I haven't seen, or been able to find, since. It really makes the stitches pop, especially the twisted knits.
Well, here it the clapotis:

and here is what the stitches look like up close.

Also, MissLuLu, if you are using a thinner thread with a smaller gauge, you will need to do more repeats to get it as wide as a normal clapotis.  The only difference will be when you are working the straight rows, you will need to do a few more repeats.  From reading the pattern it looks like you do the same number of repeats on the straight row that you did on the increase row.  For example: If you ended up doing section two (increases) 20 times, you would do section three (straight rows) 20 times also.  You would then do section four (decrease rows) 10 times.  Everything else (like the beginning and ending) should be the same.
Please, someone correct me if I'm wrong, but that is the way that I am reading it.  And I took a really close look.  I have a dk weight merino in verigated pinks that I was considering. It's just slightly thinner than a worsted
THIS ROCKS   Logged

aunt carrot

pom-poms make the heart grow fonder

View Profile WWW
« Reply #533 on: April 23, 2006 01:40:48 PM »

Kimbabwe, maybe it's just my screen, but I probably wouldn't have noticed that color change if you hadn't pointed it out. I love your color choice, anyway.

I cast on three days ago and I'm already on the straight section... and already bored. Only 9 more repeats to go... *sigh* At least I have some new movies to watch.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I didn't and don't want to be a 'feminine' version or a diluted version or a special version or a subsidiary version or an ancillary version or an adapted version of the heroes I admire. I want to be the heroes themselves." --Joanna Russ.
kookoosp

20 yrs of schoolin & they put ya on the day shift

View Profile WWW
« Reply #534 on: April 23, 2006 06:50:06 PM »

I have leapt onto the bandwagon and already have a question! (forgive me if it's been answered...)

I am using blue sky alpaca/silk and size 6 needles so am worried it's going to be tiny! I want to make it wider - this means doing a few more of the increases, right? will i have to do anything different when I come to the next section?

thank you all so much. better late than never, right?

It probably will be teeny.  I haven't made one of these, but I am using the same yarn and needle size to make the somewhat cowl seen here:  http://www.thegarterbelt.com/wb_somewhatcowl.html.  Yes, it's teeny!  Cheesy  Taking for-EVER!  Good luck
THIS ROCKS   Logged

MissLulu
« Reply #535 on: April 24, 2006 10:32:27 AM »

thanks! i just added two more increase repeats an it's measuring 22 inches, which sounds good to me! am finding this pattern so strangely addictive.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
soozeq
« Reply #536 on: April 24, 2006 01:13:37 PM »

thanks! i just added two more increase repeats an it's measuring 22 inches, which sounds good to me! am finding this pattern so strangely addictive.

For every increase/drop stitch you have, you'll probably increase by about
 half an inch in width, so you may gain a few more inches.

sue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
soapturtle
Turtle Collector

View Profile WWW
« Reply #537 on: April 25, 2006 03:45:46 AM »

I finally got around to finishing my clap.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lexer
If we're all thinking outside the box, doesn't that just put us in a bigger box?

I <3 the smell of a glue gun early in the morning

View Profile WWW
« Reply #538 on: April 25, 2006 07:19:41 AM »

soapturtle, yoursis beautiful! I really like the striping.

I started this for real today, and I have a question. I didn't place a marker the first time it told me, because it seemed unneccesscary. Now I'm at the end of section 1 and realized section 2 is all about the markers.  Shocked

So, should I have 3 markers? and if so, where should the third one go?

It's hard to see int he pic, but the pink marker is 3 stitches from the point of the needle
THIS ROCKS   Logged

soozeq
« Reply #539 on: April 25, 2006 08:09:45 AM »

soapturtle, yoursis beautiful! I really like the striping.

I started this for real today, and I have a question. I didn't place a marker the first time it told me, because it seemed unneccesscary. Now I'm at the end of section 1 and realized section 2 is all about the markers.  Shocked

So, should I have 3 markers? and if so, where should the third one go?

It's hard to see int he pic, but the pink marker is 3 stitches from the point of the needle

I think in the middle.

sue
« Last Edit: April 26, 2006 07:31:53 AM by kategirl » THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 178 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Grill Salmon and Chicken Satay
How to Break Down Salmon and Chicken Satay
Salmon and Chicken Satay Recipe
How to Shape and Bake Naan Bread
How to Mix the Dough for Naan Bread
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Embellished Guest Towels
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hostess Gift
Handmade Gift Ideas: Mini Book Jewelry

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...