A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 297,528
Currently Running With Scissors:
383 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 178
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Clapotis from Knitty  (Read 240099 times)
Tags for this thread: clapotis  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

loisgriffinwannabe
The knitter formerly known as Cutieknittahfairy...

Happy!

View Profile
« Reply #460 on: March 10, 2006 06:42:27 PM »

Sandra!!! I love it!!! Looks wow, gawjus  Shocked

I love it. I am glad I "inspired" you to finish so that we all get to gawk at it!

Great work.

It wasn't my fave project while knitt it either, but for some reason I have convinced myself I need a summer one- this time a worsted not bulky weight yarn so it doesn't turn out so huge! I just love the end product so much!

Emms  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cinimonstk

Smokey says NO to Sew Fast So Sleazy!!

View Profile
« Reply #461 on: March 10, 2006 07:31:56 PM »

Hey guys! Well, I decided to cast on last night even though I still have stuff to finish. I was almost done with the second repeat of the increase section when i decided to check my gauge. Bad idea let me tell you! My gauge was off darnit. So I just frogged it and will start again on 8s (I was using 7s). So I guess I'll officially join - I'm using Noro Shinano. I have 6 1/2 skeins, so I hope that's enough. I'll start again tonight! WOOT!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BOYCOTT SEW FAST SEW SLEAZY!
http://www.cafepress.com/saynotosfse/
Nutella

In a free knitting pattern kind of way.

View Profile
« Reply #462 on: March 11, 2006 09:21:50 AM »

Oh cinimonstk!

Congrats on joining the cult the club!

As for gauge... it's essentially a scarf- and it can be any sized rectangle you like, it's still *right*, so the only reason to check is to make sure you have enough yarn to make it through the end of the project.

I can't speak to whether or not that's enough noro on 8's following the pattern as written.

Have fun!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wisty bandwagon: http://wists.com/?q=nutellanutterson

I'm walking and raising funds in support of AIDS Project Los Angeles: http://aidswalklosangeles2007.kintera.org/kejreeves
cinimonstk

Smokey says NO to Sew Fast So Sleazy!!

View Profile
« Reply #463 on: March 11, 2006 12:14:25 PM »

Oh cinimonstk!

Congrats on joining the cult the club!

As for gauge... it's essentially a scarf- and it can be any sized rectangle you like, it's still *right*, so the only reason to check is to make sure you have enough yarn to make it through the end of the project.

I can't speak to whether or not that's enough noro on 8's following the pattern as written.

Have fun!

Thanks! I think I like it on the 8s better - the 7s seemed a little tight. I think I'm making pretty good progress. I'm going to keep try  and mark down when I finish a skein so I don't run out. Hope it works! But I am liking it so far - it's such a super easy pattern to remember, I don't know why I was afraid to start it earlier. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BOYCOTT SEW FAST SEW SLEAZY!
http://www.cafepress.com/saynotosfse/
Nutella

In a free knitting pattern kind of way.

View Profile
« Reply #464 on: March 11, 2006 09:32:18 PM »

I don't know why I was afraid to start it earlier.

I know I was intimidated by the ginormous rectangle of stockinette!  Wink

Mine has been sitting, abandoned and alone since (gasp) November. I must finish start again -and finish! So embarassed.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wisty bandwagon: http://wists.com/?q=nutellanutterson

I'm walking and raising funds in support of AIDS Project Los Angeles: http://aidswalklosangeles2007.kintera.org/kejreeves
Helenmay
« Reply #465 on: March 12, 2006 06:05:58 AM »

After reading all 47 pages  Shocked I'm finally ready to join in the fun - albeit over a year after this KAL started!!

All your beautiful Clapoti (? whats the plural of Clapotis?!) had spurred me on and I wanted to create an equally beautiful one, but when I went to my LYS yesterday the selection was rather limited. I live in Sweden and most yarns seemed to be thick wool or cheapy arcylic. I eventually bought a wool/acrylic mix in purples, blues and pinks which I thought was quite pretty, but it is a lot heavier weight than the ones everyone else has created.

I've just finished the first repeat on sec 2 and it looks like this:

It is not as pretty as the yarn looked when it was in a ball and I'm wondered if it'll be too thick and wooly for me to drop the stitches...

Its 75% wool 25% acrylic - has anyone blocked anything similar? Does it give it a bit more drape when blocked.

I'm not sure if I should carry on and end up having a bit thick wooly Clapotis, or admit defeat and buy some nice expensive yarn off the internet as the LYs stores here are a bit rubbish! Any suggestions...
THIS ROCKS   Logged

soapturtle
Turtle Collector

View Profile WWW
« Reply #466 on: March 12, 2006 07:20:49 AM »

Well, I think it is pretty, I just think it's going to be really really big if you use all the repeats. 
And you might have to work at dropping the stitches but that's not a bad thing really.

I think you should keep going.  You can always make another with ordered yarn later and I think this one will be nice and warm. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

soozeq
« Reply #467 on: March 12, 2006 08:16:03 AM »

After reading all 47 pages  Shocked I'm finally ready to join in the fun - albeit over a year after this KAL started!!

All your beautiful Clapoti (? whats the plural of Clapotis?!) had spurred me on and I wanted to create an equally beautiful one, but when I went to my LYS yesterday the selection was rather limited. I live in Sweden and most yarns seemed to be thick wool or cheapy arcylic. I eventually bought a wool/acrylic mix in purples, blues and pinks which I thought was quite pretty, but it is a lot heavier weight than the ones everyone else has created.

IIt is not as pretty as the yarn looked when it was in a ball and I'm wondered if it'll be too thick and wooly for me to drop the stitches...

Its 75% wool 25% acrylic - has anyone blocked anything similar? Does it give it a bit more drape when blocked.

I'm not sure if I should carry on and end up having a bit thick wooly Clapotis, or admit defeat and buy some nice expensive yarn off the internet as the LYs stores here are a bit rubbish! Any suggestions...

You could use larger needles than the pattern calls for, with less repeats. That will make it more drapey when the stitches are dropped, and about the right size without it being too heavy.

sue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
BoredOutOfMyMind
« Reply #468 on: March 12, 2006 08:51:57 AM »

Helenmay I am also using a thick yarn, and doing so on larger needles. I'm planning on doing about half the original Clapotis, part since I don't have enough yarn and part since the is thick I think it will be enough.
It's true it can be a challenge to get your hands on something other than acrylics here in Sweden, BUT it can be done! http://www.yllotyll.com/ is one option, http://www.kanalen.org/sticklistan/links/linkShops.php has a list of other options. Garnstudio has a lot of great yarns but they don't have any online-shop. Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Murphy's Law - All that can go wrong, will go wrong
Helenmay
« Reply #469 on: March 13, 2006 12:28:27 AM »

Thanks for all the encouragement everyone! I'll stick with my wooly Clapotis and see how it ends up! I'm using jumbo 9mm needles and I'll drop some repeas out too as suggested. It'll be a while before I can wear anything lightweight here in Sweden anyway (-15 C today! Brrrrr!)

Thanks BoredOutOfMyMind too for the links - its good to know I can get my hands on something other than acrylic here - I've spied some nice Noro Silk Garden at Yllotyll so I might treat myself after I've finshed this one! Tack!
Helenmay I am also using a thick yarn, and doing so on larger needles. I'm planning on doing about half the original Clapotis, part since I don't have enough yarn and part since the is thick I think it will be enough.
It's true it can be a challenge to get your hands on something other than acrylics here in Sweden, BUT it can be done! http://www.yllotyll.com/ is one option, http://www.kanalen.org/sticklistan/links/linkShops.php has a list of other options. Garnstudio has a lot of great yarns but they don't have any online-shop. Good luck!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 178 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Draw a Labrador Puppy
How to Create Motion Tweens in Flash CS4
How to Open XFL Files from InDesign in Flash CS4
Publishing to Adobe AIR or Flash Player in Flash CS4
How to Use the Deco Tool in Flash CS4
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Seed Packet Gifts
Cooking: Honey Month
September 19th - Talk Like a Pirate Day!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...