A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 296,752
Currently Running With Scissors:
643 Guests and 36 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 178
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Clapotis from Knitty  (Read 238922 times)
Tags for this thread: clapotis  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

soozeq
« Reply #410 on: February 21, 2006 05:07:22 PM »

Yeah, I was using the Shimmer as well, on 8s. Don't get me wrong, it was a nice fabric -- but I didn't like working with such fine yarn. It's still partly finished, and I am not sure what I am going to do with it... I can't quite bear to rip it back, but I don't really want to finish it either. Smiley

I think triple-stranded with Shimmer would be lovely.

I'll try to remember to let you know how it works. It better dammit! I want another in blues, and I don't know what else to make it out of.

sue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
litlnemo
« Reply #411 on: February 21, 2006 05:30:42 PM »

I'll try to remember to let you know how it works. It better dammit! I want another in blues, and I don't know what else to make it out of.

Are you using the turquoise/blue colorway? That was the one I was using. It looked like this:

It would make a nice summer version of the Clapotis.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

cinimonstk

Smokey says NO to Sew Fast So Sleazy!!

View Profile
« Reply #412 on: February 21, 2006 10:51:33 PM »

oh man. Now you guys are scaring me... I bought two skeins of the laceweight HPY.com yarn with the intent of making Clapotis. I would like to make one for myself single stranded, but I am going to make one for my mom too. Haven't decided to double or single strand it. We live in So. California, so the weight would be perfect. Man oh man, can't wait to start, but I must finish other things first, so it will be a while. But I'll post pics when I start it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BOYCOTT SEW FAST SEW SLEAZY!
http://www.cafepress.com/saynotosfse/
soozeq
« Reply #413 on: February 22, 2006 07:23:27 AM »

Quote from: litlnemo link=topic=25312.msg762765#msg762765

Are you using the turquoise/blue colorway? That was the one I was using. It looked like this:
[img width=240 height=180
http://static.flickr.com/28/54717958_f6f4d00b2f_m.jpg[/img]

It would make a nice summer version of the Clapotis.

Yeah that's the color. It's very pretty, and I figure with it being alpaca/silk it'll be warm enough for a scarf.

sue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
litlnemo
« Reply #414 on: February 22, 2006 03:40:28 PM »

Ooh! I definitely want to see the finished version, then!    Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

piratekittie
« Reply #415 on: February 22, 2006 06:11:24 PM »

I made four with Simply Soft and they were wonderfully soft! One 6oz skein costs $2-2.50 and made on size 10.5/6mm needles, they were about 15-16" by about 72. I'm going to redo the one I made for myself because I want it a little wider, maybe about 18" which should make its length around 60 inches.

Another inexpensive option is TLC Lustre - you might need two skeins of that, depending on your needle size and how big you want it.

sue
[/quote]

Yay! I'm glad someone else used Simply Soft. I was talking to my friend the other day and she really wants to make a clapotis too, so I think we're both going to head off to Walmart and buy our cheapo yarn this weekend to start Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

HUGE Spring Cleaning Sale!!!!
Etsy: http://karenmaiko.etsy.com

I have a Blog!
 http://karenmaiko.blogspot.com
soozeq
« Reply #416 on: February 23, 2006 07:51:53 AM »

litlnemo wrote:

> Ooh! I definitely want to see the finished version, then! 

Progress report....

The third skein came in the mail yesterday, and this morning I got to the straight section. I was able to use the 10.5s and it went *much* faster than using the 8s on two strands, though still a slightly smaller gauge than when I the the Simply Soft ones on the same needles. The only thing I forgot to do (being in a hurry to get started) was to try and start the color varigation at the same point so they'd be somewhat similar, though I'm not sure they would actually have matched up. I now have some sections which are dark on two strands with one aqua strand.   Undecided It's still working out okay though. Should get a fair amount done this afternoon. It's my day off, so after some grocery shopping in a little bit, will have lots of time to work on it later.

sue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
loisgriffinwannabe
The knitter formerly known as Cutieknittahfairy...

Happy!

View Profile
« Reply #417 on: February 23, 2006 09:19:44 AM »

Hi y'all! I am finally in the section where you drop stitches!!! YAY!  Smiley

I have a question tho, I am worried about running out of yarn, and I know that some of you who made it were worried about that too. My question is, in which section did you do less repeats? Section 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5 Huh

let me know soon, hehe.  Undecided

Emms
THIS ROCKS   Logged

soozeq
« Reply #418 on: February 23, 2006 10:23:31 AM »

I have a question tho, I am worried about running out of yarn, and I know that some of you who made it were worried about that too. My question is, in which section did you do less repeats? Section 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5 Huh

Emms

It depends if you want it narrower or shorter. For a narrower version, do less repeats in section 2, the increase rows. For a shorter one, do less in section 3, the straight rows.

What yarn are you using, how much (in yardage) and what size needles?

sue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
artsygal

Come see my yarns!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #419 on: February 23, 2006 10:31:59 AM »

Emms

It depends on what you want to do.. section 2 decides how wide your clappy will be while section 3 decides how long. If you think you're just going to be a tiny bit short then I'd suggest cutting out one repeat on section 3... that will affect it by a couple of inches in length (depending on guage of course).. If you think you're going to be really REALLY short on yarn, I'd cut a repeat or 2 on section 2.. that will make it narrower, but since you're removing a narrow strip along the entire length of the clapotis, you'll be needing a lot less yarn than if you were just removing a strip along the width.

Likewise.. adding one more repeat on section 3 is not a hugely significant increase in yarn... but adding a repeat on section 2 is quite an increase because you're adding that width along the entire thing for 60 - 70 - 80 inches.. however long you're making yours.

I hope that helps!
Jas
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Handpaints by Artsygal - a collection of unique and inspired handpainted yarns - is now open for business! Visit www.artsygal.net to see my yarns for yourself!
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 178 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to French Braid
How to Style Hair with Wax
How to Use a Hair Diffuser
How to Fishtail Braid
How to Put Your Hair in a Bun
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Quick and Easy Organizer
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...