A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have an idea for improving the Craftster swap process?  Suggest and discuss it here on the Talk About The Swap Process board.
Total Members: 302,488
Currently Running With Scissors:
429 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 178
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Clapotis from Knitty  (Read 252271 times)
Tags for this thread: clapotis  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

xntrick
« Reply #70 on: March 05, 2005 07:48:46 AM »

emling, I'll have to keep an eye out for the Marjaana!  It sounds wonderful!  Cheesy

zzjulia, I went down to a size US 6 for the fingering weight.  I didn't really put much thought into it though.  Sort of just plucked out the size 6 bamboos and went at it.  Wink

rhythmgrl, I found that once I got into the straight section and did it a few times, I couldn't help catching on to how the row repeats work.  The stitch markers play a big role in that too.

As a general update to the Silk Garden Clapotis:  It's going.  I've got 10 repeats of the straight section done and I've been anxiously watching my yarn supply dwindle to the point that I could easily imagine running out of yarn with just a few rows to go.  Not much I could do about it though.  I only had 4 skeins of the Noro and my bestest friend in the world graciously supplied me with 3 skeins of a different colorway to help me out.  I may  have to go on a Noro hunting expedition -- and I'm supposed to be on a yarn diet 'til Easter.   Undecided
THIS ROCKS   Logged
jenrsmall
« Reply #71 on: March 05, 2005 08:50:02 AM »

Ok I have finally succumbed to Clapotis fever, just in time for spring.   I bought 4 skeins of Lorna's Laces Shepherd Worsted in Mineshaft colorway.  I got extra b/c I might want to make it a little wider -- I am going to use it for a scarf as well as a nursing coverup.  I can't believe how many people are making this pattern! 

I've been making stuff for other people's babies a TON lately, and a few things for my baby, so this is the first thing I am definitely going to make for MYSELF (still in the stash -- yarn for the B&B cable sweater from winter Interweave Knits mag, also fuzzy Alpaca brush that I was going to make into a nursing coverup but it was too dang boring in mock turkish stitch).  This is my first handpaint project- I have been wanting to do one forever!  If I like it I may get some of that ArtYarns silk and make one for my mom.  But ME first!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
xntrick
« Reply #72 on: March 06, 2005 11:25:00 PM »

Whew.  7 skeins of Silk Garden.  One extra straight row pattern repeat.  6 days of frenetic knitting:

And the remains:
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010 09:58:41 AM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed a coding issue » THIS ROCKS   Logged
Horse Power
« Reply #73 on: March 07, 2005 05:01:53 AM »

*xntrick: all your Clapotis-es are so beautiful! And you are so quick!
*Abinka, did you figure out the pfb OK?

I'm on the decrease rows!  Grin  Row 8 is a lot of fun!

I feel like I'm knitting a bedspread here....WHEN will I finish?? She's turning out really pretty, though! I had to do some improvising a couple times when I had too many/too few stitches but it doesn't seem to have mattered in the long run.  Wink

THIS ROCKS   Logged

puppymomma

matches? we don't need no stinkin' matches

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: March 07, 2005 05:36:46 AM »

Xntrick that is stunning!!!

Hopefully I'll get to start mine this week.....
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Every day may not be a good day to die, but every day is a good day to eat pancakes.

http://funkyjewtopia.com
acesulfamek
« Reply #75 on: March 07, 2005 08:13:40 AM »

xntrick:  That looks so nice.  The Noro stripeiness really comes out great with the pattern.  Really, really nice.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

zzjulia
New Knitter Attempts Blog

Woof!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: March 07, 2005 11:00:47 AM »

Love that Silk Garden...what a luxurious looking clapotis!

I went with the skinny look, and it is sufficiently long enough after 13 repeats.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

xntrick
« Reply #77 on: March 07, 2005 04:16:33 PM »

Oh, look at that gorgeous red!  Is this that beautiful yarn you got from ebay?  I love how subtle the color shades are!

And thanks to everyone for the nice comments about Clapotis Silk Garden!

I thought I'd share a couple pictures of the idiosyncrasies of Noro's Silk Garden that I encountered on this project.  If anyone's thinking of using Silk Garden, but like their yarn to be uniform...consider:
(click on thumbnails for larger pictures)

This is just...a bulky bit of fluff that I came across in my yarn.

Here's how it ended up on my Clapotis, though I made sure it ended up on the back:

And of course, just many places where the yarn was really bulky (though this is a more outrageous example):

I also came across about 3 or 4 tied-together parts and one did end up in a drop-stitch column.  But it's not really noticeable.  It almost happened twice except I saw it coming and tightened up my gauge leading up to it so it would land in a more solid area of stitches.

These were just the more extreme examples.  I think the two fluffed out bits I show here are the only ones in the whole scarf that are noticeable, without my pointing them out, for instance.  Otherwise, it was mostly worsted weight, with the occasional chunky bits and lace/fingering weight bits.  It doesn't seem to have affected the whole project in a bad way. 
« Last Edit: March 07, 2005 04:30:49 PM by xntrick » THIS ROCKS   Logged
jenrsmall
« Reply #78 on: March 08, 2005 07:33:36 AM »

Ok I have started my Clapotis, and am up to 39 stitches.  It is fun and easy to knit!  I am now doing the purl stitches for the drop stitches -- this way I am only using stitch markers for the first row after they are introduced.  Hooray for freedom from stitch markers!

This is so cool.  I can't wait to unzip some!

Also I now have handpainted yarn fever, and am thinking of all the people I could make a scarf for!

Sings:

"Wherever I go, whatever I see
Becomes a CLAPOTIS to me!"
THIS ROCKS   Logged
rhythmgrl
« Reply #79 on: March 08, 2005 07:50:35 AM »

Purling to get rid of the stitch markers is brilliant!  But I want to clarify for me... the stitch that gets dropped is the K1 between the 2 Ktbls, right?  I did a mini mock up the other week, but haven't looked at in a while and the most frustrating part of the whole thing was the markers (!no me gustan!) 

Everyone's versions are so beautiful!  I'm still waiting for my yarn... and waiting drives me nuts!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 178 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Sew a Button
Binding a Quilt
Quilting: Squaring Up Material
Quilts You Can Make for Kids
Quilts You Can Make
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Coffee Mug Cozy
March 25, 2015 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: How to Make 110 Prayer Flags

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...