A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you know about all of these Craftster features?
Total Members: 297,454
Currently Running With Scissors:
639 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 178
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Clapotis from Knitty  (Read 239968 times)
Tags for this thread: clapotis  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

melidomi
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

knit like the wind!

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2005 02:01:22 PM »

I'm thinking of doing a clapotis in kool-aid dyed yarn.  I've got a bunch of el-cheap-o wool just crying out for the kool-aid.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
zzjulia
New Knitter Attempts Blog

Woof!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2005 02:45:00 PM »

I'm about to join the sleeves on my Tempting...so my "half-clap" project is calling me.  I'm probably going to use ArtYarns.

So glad this thread was started as so many of the Knitty folks had completed theirs longago....but I just discovered the pattern!

-Juls
THIS ROCKS   Logged

jayamaree
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2005 04:58:15 PM »

a bunch of people are doing it in redhart yarn over on the knitlist also someone started a yahoo group/knitalong for this pattern.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
acesulfamek
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2005 08:34:50 PM »

First, to answer questions about yarn subs, I posted already with a verbose little bit on the thread that was mentioned earlier (http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=23343.0) as did some more creative, clever knitters, so I would check there.  Also, a ton of knitting bloggers have made this pattern, so you might browse around to see some of those results.

In other news, I got a chance to start my Clapotis today!

Not too much time to work on this today, just commuting between school and work, and during quiet moments at my shop, but here's what I was able to accomplish:

I'm 10 rows in to the second set of increase rows.  I am not planning on making it full-width - something 1/2 to 2/3 is more appealing to me. 

The yarn I am using is Artyarns Royal Silk, which is, like their Supermerino, all handpainted (and it comes in many of the same colorways), but it is 100% silk.  The hand is fantastic, smooth and soft.  My camera has a hard time getting good photos since the flash just reflects off, but the color I am using is mostly warm pinky-lavender shades, with a few spots of hot pink, some light blue, and some small neutral beigey bits. 

close up, to try to convey why I so heart this yarn:

p.s. abinka, is silk considered vegan or not?  I'm just curious.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

abinka
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2005 03:50:23 AM »

p.s. abinka, is silk considered vegan or not?  I'm just curious.

Technically no. I do consider myself vegan, because I don't eat, wear, or use animal products, but I'm ok with silk and honey...I consider them insects not really animals. A lot of people wouldn't agree with me, but that's how I see it for myself. I've looked at the royal silk, I think they had a pink-purple-red colorway I loved, but I can't find anyone who carries it around here. Is there a place online that sells it? The Artyarns website only shows it but you can't buy it there. If they did, I would definitely consider dropping the extra money for that.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
zzjulia
New Knitter Attempts Blog

Woof!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2005 12:12:45 PM »

The artyarns silk is gorgeous!  I was at Stitches West yesterday and admired a lot of silk, but it was outside my price range.  I did pick up some silk/merino blends that I am totally in love with however!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

lizzaboogle
« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2005 10:11:39 AM »

I got my yarn in the mail today!! I want to get started, but I have a dumb question.  Throughout the whole pattern it says Sl for slip stitch, and in the knitting abbreviations thing, that says that it means to slip knitwise, so you slip as if to knit for the whole pattern, even on purl rows?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
tofuthief
« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2005 07:20:44 PM »

I had assumed that since there is a separate abbreviation for slipping purlwise, "sl" always meant to slip knitwise.  Of course, my assumption could be wrong, so I'll wait for someone else to answer while I patiently wind my Artyarns Supermerino into a ball...
THIS ROCKS   Logged
abinka
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2005 03:31:05 AM »

I think I'm going to take the plunge and order that delicious artyarns silk on Friday when I get paid. It'll be the most expensive thing I've made, but I just have to have it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Horse Power
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2005 05:02:20 AM »

Excellent question about the slip stitch! I've been reading a lot of different opinions on that particular direction.

I have been slipping purlwise on both rows. (on the knit row: bringing the yarn forward, slipping it purlwise, putting the yarn back and continuing to knit.) It seems to make a decorative sort of edging, little lines or bobbly bits, which I happen to like, myself.  I'm not to the point of dropping stitches yet though.

Anybody else? What have y'all been using and how does it look?

^ Here's my albino Clapotis ...  Cheesy .... I couldn't stand waiting for my variegated yarn to come any longer, so I started playing with a skein of white Bernat sportweight yarn I already had. Yep, plain white acrylic craft store yarn. I know the yarn should be smooth, and this is crinkly, but I made a swatch, and I liked it. I like the light effect of the sportweight on #10US needles, too.

I'm enjoying this pattern very much.  Smiley
« Last Edit: February 16, 2005 05:11:58 AM by Horse Power » THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 178 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Cover Up Graffiti
How to Create a Graffiti Stencil
How to Create Light Graffiti
How to Create Graffiti Wildstyle
How to Design Short Anime Characters
Latest Blog Articles
Falling Leaves
Meatless Monday: Provencal Inspired Quiche
@Home This Weekend: Buzy Bee Activity Chart

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...