A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 300,869
Currently Running With Scissors:
627 Guests and 11 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 153 154 [155] 156 157 ... 178
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Clapotis from Knitty  (Read 246348 times)
Tags for this thread: clapotis  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

fleurs
« Reply #1540 on: May 04, 2007 04:35:51 AM »

Hi all.

It not to late to join this KAl, i am advanced beginner and soon i will be on section 3 and i m really stuck . Cry
Any help will be apprecaited.

Section 3 (Straight Rows)
Row 1 and all odd-numbered rows: Sl1, p to last 2 sts, p2tog.
Row 2: P1, k2, k tbl, [k1, k tbl, k3, k tbl] to last marker, k1, k tbl, k3, kfb.
Row 4: P1, k1, k tbl, [k1, k tbl, k3, k tbl] to last marker, k1, k tbl, k4, kfb.
Row 6: P1, k tbl, [k1, k tbl, k3, k tbl] to last marker, k1, k tbl, k3, ssk, pm, yo, kfb.
Row 8: P1, remove marker, drop next st, let it drop down several rows, pick up top bar with left needle to form a new st (make sure this st isn't twisted), k this and foll st tbl, k3, k tbl, [k1, k tbl, k3, k tbl] to last marker, k1, k tbl, kfb.
Row 10: P1, k4, k tbl, [k1, k tbl, k3, k tbl] to last marker, k1, k tbl, k1, kfb.
Row 12: P1, k3, k tbl, [k1, k tbl, k3, k tbl] to last marker, k1, k tbl, k2, kfb.
Repeat Straight Rows 1-12, twelve times more.

My questions are :how many stiches will drop ?how to pick up top bar ??i m really confused , if someone can explain to me.
thank you!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Miss Violaceous

Condones Flashing

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #1541 on: May 04, 2007 05:22:52 AM »

OK, you're just dropping one stitch but you need to let it/make it run or unravel several rows deep at least before you can continue. It doesn't matter exactly how many rows you let it run, because eventually you'll need to make ALL the stitches you drop in the course of making your clapotis run the full length of the piece.

After you do that, you'll have something that resembles a ladder where your dropped stitch was, because each row will have a bar of yarn. Like so:
preg_replace('/(.{49})/', '$1 ', 'stitchstitchstitchstitchstitchstitch___stitchstitchstitchstitchstitchstitch')
preg_replace('/(.{49})/', '$1 ', 'stitchstitchstitchstitchstitchstitch___stitchstitchstitchstitchstitchstitch')

You just poke your left needle through and pick up the very top bar, then treat it like a stitch. I always interpreted those directions as wanting me to pick it up from the front, then when you ktbl it becomes a tight, twisted stitch like a make one increase, but I may be wrong on that. I doubt it matters much so long as you're consistent throughout the piece.

The one mistake I made early on was to somehow interpret "k this and foll st tbl" as "k this and foll st TOG tbl". Don't do that, they are still two separate stitches when you get done with them. :-p
THIS ROCKS   Logged

soozeq
« Reply #1542 on: May 04, 2007 06:36:05 AM »

You just poke your left needle through and pick up the very top bar, then treat it like a stitch. I always interpreted those directions as wanting me to pick it up from the front, then when you ktbl it becomes a tight, twisted stitch like a make one increase, but I may be wrong on that. I doubt it matters much so long as you're consistent throughout the piece.

You interpreted the instructions correctly. It's kind of like picking up the bar between stitches for a M1 increase.

sue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
fleurs
« Reply #1543 on: May 04, 2007 08:28:01 AM »

Thank you so much i think i got it. :)ok i will try soon and let you know.

Quote from: Miss Violaceous
link=topic=25312.msg1717109#msg1717109 date=1178281372
OK, you're just dropping one stitch but you need to let it/make it run or unravel several rows deep at least before you can continue. It doesn't matter exactly how many rows you let it run, because eventually you'll need to make ALL the stitches you drop in the course of making your clapotis run the full length of the piece.

After you do that, you'll have something that resembles a ladder where your dropped stitch was, because each row will have a bar of yarn. Like so:

The one mistake I made early on was to somehow interpret "k this and foll st tbl" as "k this and foll st TOG tbl". Don't do that, they are still two separate stitches when you get done with them. :-p
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nevergirl

lalalalalaLAlalalalala

« Reply #1544 on: May 04, 2007 06:00:41 PM »

I made that exact same mistake, and truth be told I felt like a complete you-know-what after I figured it out (ten rows down when my stitches weren't adding up..). Good to know it wasn't just me Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Miss Violaceous

Condones Flashing

« Reply #1545 on: May 04, 2007 06:02:10 PM »

I can top that. I did it once, then found I was short a stitch, so I increased a stitch because I was too lazy to frog back, then I did another repeat and was short another stitch and decided it was finally time to figure out what the hell I was doing to cause this because it wasn't a fluke anymore.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

itscute
Blimy

I live like a hermit in my own head.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1546 on: May 06, 2007 08:26:57 AM »

i think i'm going to frog my clapotis... and knit up another one in other yarn types.  i simply just don't like the brown as a clap.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

piratekittie
« Reply #1547 on: May 06, 2007 03:46:41 PM »

I'm done!!

My camera's broken so the pictures are really terrible, it's honestly embarassing to put them up here. But there is one picture on my <a href=http://karenmaiko.blogspot.com>blog</a href> As soon as I give it to my Mom I'll get a better picture with her modelling it.

It went surprisingly quick. I was done in less than a week and apparently those skeins of yarn were WAY bigger than I thought, I still have some left from the first ball of yarn, never even touched the second one.

I'm starting a mini-clap in SWTC Phoenix (100% soysilk and 100% delicious). I think I'm only going to do one or two increase sections and make it more scarf like.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

HUGE Spring Cleaning Sale!!!!
Etsy: http://karenmaiko.etsy.com

I have a Blog!
 http://karenmaiko.blogspot.com
BoredOutOfMyMind
« Reply #1548 on: May 12, 2007 04:34:34 AM »

Cry Hi... I have run into a big problem on my clap. I can't figure out what has gone wrong, but the stitches won't drop. They're stuck! (And yes, I dropped the right stitch.) Here's a picture:

It's not the best picture but it's the best I can manage. It's like all of the sudden the thread goes in the wrong direction.I'm halfway through... Please HELP!  Cry
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Murphy's Law - All that can go wrong, will go wrong
ejlown
I'm a momma on the brink

View Profile
« Reply #1549 on: May 12, 2007 04:10:50 PM »

BoredOutOfMyMind- Okay, first thing is don't freak out, because you may not have to frog all of your hard work. What I would do is rip out those three stitches all the way down to where they are stuck. Untangle it as best you can then fix the first stitch which should be knit through the back loop, then the second which should be stockinette, then the third which should be knit through the back loop. You will have to know how to fix dropped stitches, but there is lots of reference for that I think that may fix it. Good Luck
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://mommaonthebrink.blog.com/

Knitting, crocheting, jewelrymaking and everything in between
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 153 154 [155] 156 157 ... 178 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Carolina Herrera Fall 2012 Backstage Hairstyling
Tracy Reese Fall 2012 Backstage Hairstyling
Hair Extensions Backstage at the Nicole Miller Fall 2012 Fashion Week Show
New York Fashion Week Runway Hair Trends
40s Style Hair & Makeup at the Douglas Hannant F/W 2012 Show
Latest Blog Articles
Handmade Gift Ideas: Hippogriff
Handmade Gift Ideas: Exploding Needle Box
Handmade Gift Ideas: Japanese Shibori Dyeing

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...