A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
November 17 News: WOW!  Congratulate the winner of DIY Halloween Costumes 2015!
Total Members: 305,437
Currently Running With Scissors:
592 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 149 150 [151] 152 153 ... 178
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Clapotis from Knitty  (Read 267645 times)
Tags for this thread: clapotis  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
I'm a momma on the brink

View Profile
« Reply #1500 on: April 17, 2007 08:21:45 AM »

I am also using the purl method for my silk garden clap. It works great,but I am having to drop every single stitch. When I did my swatch, I used stitch markers and the drop stitches went a whole lot easier. Regardless of my extra work, I highly reccommend using the purls instead of stitch markers. It goes faster.

Knitting, crocheting, jewelrymaking and everything in between

my cats walk all over me...

View Profile
« Reply #1501 on: April 17, 2007 08:32:46 AM »

At the moment, this is my first one so... I'm kind of keeping to the pattern as written. Yes, the markers are a pain (I'm using the Goodie small hair bands instead of regular stitch markers...) but I'm plowing through with them anyway.

If I get through this one and feel that I can do another, I might try the purl method though  Cheesy
New England Yarn Addict

i poke badgers with spoons!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1502 on: April 17, 2007 10:53:45 AM »

i'm on section 3 of mine only about a week after CO (been working on it off and on) and i'm purling the stitches that will be dropped and it's making it go so much faster, plus it makes the odd rows so much more tolerable b/c the knit stitches break up the purling.

and so far... as far as i can tell, there's no difference between k or p stitches once dropped, to me it looks the same as my original clappy which was made to pattern.

oh and i'm using Elann's Adara and it's BEAUTIFUL! i can't wait till i'm done but it seems like i go through a ball of yarn every 2 days! i hope i bought enough!

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. ~Mark Twain
« Reply #1503 on: April 20, 2007 09:31:38 PM »

I've finished 10 repeats of the increase section. I'll do two more and then measure the length.

I'm super excited about getting to the decrease rows! I meant to give this away, but I just don't know if I can part with it.

One is never alone with a rubber duck

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1504 on: April 21, 2007 02:08:08 AM »

I've done 10 repeats of the straight rows too. Might do a few more repeats than 12, 'cause it's looking a bit short.

« Reply #1505 on: April 25, 2007 02:23:09 PM »

And it's done! With the purl method, which I recommend a million times over. Sorry the picture is really blurry. This is for a Happy Period Swap on Swap-Bot... hopefully my partner will love it!

At least you'll never be a vegetable- Even artichokes have hearts.

I live like a hermit in my own head.

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1506 on: April 29, 2007 01:24:17 AM »

I have to put my two cents in about the purling instead of the stitch marker.  I tried it on one or two rows, and found it harder.  Maybe I just need more of an obvious marker than one purl stitch.  I use the stitch markers are a guide to knit thru the back loop... and that helps me... it's actually a easier pattern for me to memorize than to remember a new one.

I'm also having a hard time remembering the section 3 pattern.. thus having to have the pattern right there for me to read does not help in the portable knitting.

the dropped stitch doesn't look as good as the pictures... perhaps blocking is needed to make it look beautiful.

blocking & felting are things that i can not do well.  i completely fail at felting, and my sore attempts at blocking are lame. 

but i guess if i fell off the horse and never got back up, i'll never learn how to ride the horse.

« Reply #1507 on: April 29, 2007 04:09:27 AM »

I preferred having stitch markers, too. And needed the pattern right in front of me. I hope blocking helps your shawl. Smiley

« Reply #1508 on: April 29, 2007 06:06:55 AM »

Blocking definitely helps- and the blocking you need to do for a clap isn't very difficult. I soak mine and then pin it onto a giant beach towel. When it dries, it's been blocked!

My notes on the purl method- I hate stitch markers with a fiery, burning passion- they are such a ginormous pain in the butt! I lose them, they slip and drop...

The purl method was great for me because there was a "channel" of purl  stitches, which looked different from all the other stitches. It was a little harder to drop stitches, but my second clap was uniform, whereas my first had channels ranging from 3-7 stitches (I might of uhm... gotten rid of the stitch markers).

That's it for me! 

At least you'll never be a vegetable- Even artichokes have hearts.
« Reply #1509 on: April 29, 2007 07:41:49 AM »

Almost 3 years later and I'm finally jumping on the bandwagon....

I have 200g of red alpaca to use:

I have no idea how much yardage there is but I figure I'll just wing the size as I go. I think it's going to be one of those yarns that's a huge pain in the ass to drop the stitches but I'm prepared for a challenge.

Hopefully I'll get started tonight Smiley

HUGE Spring Cleaning Sale!!!!
Etsy: http://karenmaiko.etsy.com

I have a Blog!
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 149 150 [151] 152 153 ... 178 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Boozy Bourbon Ice Cream Float
Guilt-Free Watermelon Cake Recipe
Entertaining with Abby: Ice Cream Social
How to Make Ten Second Cheesecakes
This Halloween Chocolate Bark Recipe Is Scary Good
Latest Blog Articles
November 25, 2015 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Cube Advent Calendar
Thankful for Family

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...

Follow Craftster...