A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: When you post a project, remember that you can always click the Modify button to edit the post and add additional information.
Total Members: 302,967
Currently Running With Scissors:
669 Guests and 29 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 128 129 [130] 131 132 ... 178
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Clapotis from Knitty  (Read 238855 times)
Tags for this thread: clapotis  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Kookaloo_Starr

the best things in life aren't things!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1290 on: February 14, 2007 07:29:08 AM »

if you use acrylic or an acrylic blend... i suggest blocking it b/c if you don't your FO will look like a giant lump and have no drape at all, which is what happened to mine. i lightly wet blocked mine and it came out perfect.

I disagree! I made one in 100% acrylic and one in an acrylic/wool mix and they both turned out GREAT without blocking. I don't actually think you CAN block acrylic
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Use what talent you possess - the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best"

50 in '14
soozeq
« Reply #1291 on: February 14, 2007 07:45:39 AM »

True, acrylic doesn't block. I made some in Caron's Simply soft, which is a thin worsted, and used size 10-10.5 needles which made the stitches looser. They drape really well. A few people use RH worsted and size 10.5s and they said it came out much better than using size 8s.

sue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
bekahzzz

www.sew-knit.blogspot.com

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1292 on: February 14, 2007 08:11:30 AM »

Thanks all!! for the advice....I have a bunch of this yarn (Bernat softee) I think I will try...and just adjust gauge with needle size....what do you think?

http://www.joann.com/catalog.jhtml?CATID=82240&PRODID=124456

in this color:
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sew-knit.blogspot.com

My Wists: http://www.wists.com/bekahzzz

I'm interested in personal swaps!!
isisfae
New England Yarn Addict

i poke badgers with spoons!

« Reply #1293 on: February 14, 2007 08:37:37 AM »

i used Patons Decor which is a worsted acrylic/wool blend. i used size 8s and it came out bulky and tightly packed with absolutely no drape at all and bunched up like a 2x2 rib.

i washed it with warm water and baby shampoo, pinned it tightly to a trash bag lined bed and let it dry for about 12 hours. it was perfect!

the corners still curl in a bit but at least it has drape and you can see the drop stitches and it doesn't automatically scrunch up when i take it off.

simply soft has lots of drape, i've used it for many things... but the stuff i used has none at all.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. ~Mark Twain
soozeq
« Reply #1294 on: February 14, 2007 09:52:45 AM »

Thanks all!! for the advice....I have a bunch of this yarn (Bernat softee) I think I will try...and just adjust gauge with needle size....what do you think?

http://www.joann.com/catalog.jhtml?CATID=82240&PRODID=124456

in this color:

That's quite a thick yarn and I suggest using at least size 10.5 needles with it. Maybe even 11s, and certainly the metric sizes between there (7 or 7.5 mm). You could stretch it out when wet and could work on size 10s. The corners will curl a little no matter what, it's because of the pattern, and it looks fine once it's all done.

sue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
KatAutumn
Knitty Hippie

Princess of Mod Podge

View Profile
« Reply #1295 on: February 14, 2007 10:11:12 AM »

BWAHAHAHAHA It is finished!  Okay, I promised myself I wouldn't cry.  Whew!  Okay, first of all, I would like to thank Knitty for causing me to lose much sleep in pursuit of knitting this beautiful scarf from your website.  I would like to thank Denise for the wonderful interchangeable knitting needles that I used, without which this scarf would not have been possible.  And I would like to thank my mother, who hovered over me as I carefully dropped those stitches and watched in amazement and cried for me when I got halfway through it on my second attempt and had to frog it.  And last, but certainly not least, I would like to thank the fine ladies in this thread who came before me and proved that knitting this wonderful scarf is truly possible. 

After four false starts and a week's worth of staying up all night knitting it is complete.  I'm so proud of it and because of the time spent working on it, I'll probably wear it 24/7/365.  Even when it's a hundred degrees here LOL

I'll post pics later.   Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Artsy Fartsy LJ:
The Krafting Kat
Kookaloo_Starr

the best things in life aren't things!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1296 on: February 14, 2007 10:28:02 AM »

THUNDEROUS ROUND OF APPLAUSE
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"Use what talent you possess - the woods would be very silent if no birds sang except those that sang best"

50 in '14
isisfae
New England Yarn Addict

« Reply #1297 on: February 14, 2007 11:22:32 AM »

BWAHAHAHAHA It is finished!  Okay, I promised myself I wouldn't cry.  Whew!  Okay, first of all, I would like to thank Knitty for causing me to lose much sleep in pursuit of knitting this beautiful scarf from your website.  I would like to thank Denise for the wonderful interchangeable knitting needles that I used, without which this scarf would not have been possible.  And I would like to thank my mother, who hovered over me as I carefully dropped those stitches and watched in amazement and cried for me when I got halfway through it on my second attempt and had to frog it.  And last, but certainly not least, I would like to thank the fine ladies in this thread who came before me and proved that knitting this wonderful scarf is truly possible. 

After four false starts and a week's worth of staying up all night knitting it is complete.  I'm so proud of it and because of the time spent working on it, I'll probably wear it 24/7/365.  Even when it's a hundred degrees here LOL

I'll post pics later.   Tongue

*standing ovation!!!*

CONGRATS!!! doesn't it feel so good now that it's done!

i wear mine all the time.... over my coat and like a scarf... over my sweater while i'm at the office (it's damn cold in here!) or while i'm out and about shopping.

i pet it when i'm home. i get distressed when i drop it. i almost screamed when it got caught in the car door the first day i wore it (it had also gotten tangled in the seat belt).

my mom and dad make fun of me for wearing it all the time.... *sniff and sob* but they just don't understand!!!!!

congrats and enjoy wearing it!
« Last Edit: February 14, 2007 02:56:16 PM by isisfae » THIS ROCKS   Logged

KatAutumn
Knitty Hippie

Princess of Mod Podge

View Profile
« Reply #1298 on: February 14, 2007 02:02:10 PM »

LOL Isisfae, I can totally relate.  One of our dogs jumped on me earlier while I was wearing it and I about crapped myself I was so scared they would rip a hole in it.  Oh!  As promised, here are the pics.

It's HUGE!  Here she is sprawled out across the back of the sofa.

Close-up of the stitches.

Ahhhhh finally finished and wearing it like a shawl.

Wearing it like a scarf.  This was completed not a moment too soon.  Our temps went from the mid 60's down into the 30's with 15mph winds today. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Artsy Fartsy LJ:
The Krafting Kat
isisfae
New England Yarn Addict

« Reply #1299 on: February 14, 2007 02:59:17 PM »

wow! yours fits you like a scarf!  Shocked

i can't get mine around my neck like that... but, i wear it over a wool peacoat.  b/c i wear it over a coat, i wear it like a shawl but tuck it up by my neck to keep it warm.

where are you that it's been in the 60s??? damn... it was 38 the other day and it freaked me out! almost went out w/o a coat b/c it was so "warm"! it's been below freezing up here and many days it's been in the teens and 20s.

i'm glad you're enjoying it!

love the color!!!! what yarn did you use? it's beautimous!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 128 129 [130] 131 132 ... 178 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Obtain Custom White Balance on a Fuji S3
How to use Calibration Targets
How to Clean the Digital Sensor on a Fuji S3
Learn about Bogen Roller Systems
Learn about Background Light Modifiers
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: Art Pen Case
Sock It To Me!
Meatless Monday: Kale and Edamame Salad

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...