A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: You can now organize your bookmarks into folders!  Read more here.
Total Members: 305,036
Currently Running With Scissors:
422 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 96 97 [98] 99 100 ... 178
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Clapotis from Knitty  (Read 242764 times)
Tags for this thread: clapotis  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Miss Violaceous

Condones Flashing

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #970 on: December 08, 2006 04:54:02 PM »

Well I started mine about a month ago and I was to cheap to go out and buy the noro so i just grabbed some varigated yarn at my lys.  Now... I hate it.  I just went n ebay and bought the noro silk garden lite.  That should get the clappy rollin again.  Any suggestions on what I can make with the yarn below???  I had gotten alot further but i'm gonna rip it out now and wait for my noro to get here!!  I consider it an early christmas present!!! Roll Eyes

I love the way the Knotted Openwork Scarf pattern turns out when you do it with thicker yarn on smaller needles. See how it turns this Red Heart varigated acrylic into beautiousness: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=130549.0

Another person used Manos Del Urugay. There's a link to that post and the pattern for the stitch somewhere in that linked thread. You don't have to make a scarf, either, but if you have an aversion to ordinary varigation you might swatch up that stitch pattern on a couple of different needle sizes, and then use it in whatever kind of garment you make.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

fyberduck
the quacking fiber addict

I reject your reality and substitute my own

View Profile WWW
« Reply #971 on: December 08, 2006 11:41:45 PM »

I hope this doesn't bother anyone, but I'm dying to know if I'm reading the pattern right.  I just finished my first dropped stitch in the Straight Rows section, and it looks wonky to me (the dropped sts form a crescent shape, actually, and not a straight line):

Row 8: P1, remove marker, drop next st, let it drop down several rows, pick up top bar with left needle to form a new st (make sure this st isn't twisted), k this and foll st tbl, k3, k tbl, [k1, k tbl, k3, k tbl] to last marker, k1, k tbl, kfb.

The top dropped stitch is supposed to be picked up, without twisting it at all?  But, then I'm supposed to knit it thru the back instead of front?  That'll twist it, right?  But, then on Row 9 I'll be purling it together with the last stitch...   Or, does the crescent shape just block out?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

the qfa:
unequivocally proving that knitting is not an intelligence test

Got a tape measurer?
neekie

gauge schmauge.

View Profile
« Reply #972 on: December 09, 2006 12:01:17 AM »

not to worry! the corner kind of naturally curls up, if you do a few more straight rows and drop a few more rows of stitches, it starts coming along nicely.  Smiley i'm not sure how super flat it blocks out though (i'm still at the straight row stage too hee) hope that helps
THIS ROCKS   Logged
fleurs
« Reply #973 on: December 09, 2006 01:27:24 AM »

I hope this doesn't bother anyone, but I'm dying to know if I'm reading the pattern right.  I just finished my first dropped stitch in the Straight Rows section, and it looks wonky to me (the dropped sts form a crescent shape, actually, and not a straight line):

*image removed*

Row 8: P1, remove marker, drop next st, let it drop down several rows, pick up top bar with left needle to form a new st (make sure this st isn't twisted), k this and foll st tbl, k3, k tbl, [k1, k tbl, k3, k tbl] to last marker, k1, k tbl, kfb.

The top dropped stitch is supposed to be picked up, without twisting it at all?  But, then I'm supposed to knit it thru the back instead of front?  That'll twist it, right?  But, then on Row 9 I'll be purling it together with the last stitch...   Or, does the crescent shape just block out?

I love your color , what kind of yarn are you using?
« Last Edit: January 13, 2007 09:39:44 PM by Lothruin » THIS ROCKS   Logged
fyberduck

View Profile WWW
« Reply #974 on: December 09, 2006 03:17:07 AM »

not to worry! the corner kind of naturally curls up, if you do a few more straight rows and drop a few more rows of stitches, it starts coming along nicely.  Smiley i'm not sure how super flat it blocks out though (i'm still at the straight row stage too hee) hope that helps

Thanks Cheesy  I was starting to worry there, so it's good to know that's normal (it just looks so odd right now Wink)

I love your color , what kind of yarn are you using?

*swoons* I just had the best swap partner ever, cuz she sent me 3 balls of Blue Moon Socks That Rock heavyweight superwash yarn to make a Clapotis.  The tag says that the colourway is "Highway".  (I keep cuddling it periodically.)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

the qfa:

Got a tape measurer?
naelany

Duck, Duck....silly goose!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #975 on: December 09, 2006 07:23:57 AM »

I was wondering what that yarn was. It's sooo lovely!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"just keep crafting, just keep crafting"

Sorry I've been gone so long. Am trying to get back on the boards. Body's thrown me for a few loops these past months and am still learning to adjust. Thanks for your patience.
soozeq
« Reply #976 on: December 09, 2006 07:56:19 AM »

fyberduck,

Yes, that first corner curves a bit, it's not going to be a sharp 90 degree angle. And you do actually twist the picked up bar stitch when you knit it. That firms up the stitches a little. It should look just fine when you're finished. Or curl up so it's not noticeable anyway... it's suppposed to curl. The pattern designer says not to block - it will take away the ripples that the dropped stitches form.

sue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
Melladh
Jolly doomsday prophet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #977 on: December 09, 2006 08:00:40 AM »

Seems like my clapotis is going to end up a bit short  Embarrassed I'm one skein short of making the whole fabulous length, and... apparently, my yarn has gone out of production. Sad

So if anyone has, or knows someone who has, a skein of Debbie Bliss Maya color no 04 (I think..), I'd be overjoyed to buy/trade it from that person!

Having measured around a bit, I'm just going to make do with what I have... It'll work out! I hope
« Last Edit: December 10, 2006 09:36:20 PM by Melladh » THIS ROCKS   Logged

"That's my lab table and this is my work-stool. And over there is my intergalactic spaceship! And here's where I keep assorted lengths of wire."
fyberduck

View Profile WWW
« Reply #978 on: December 09, 2006 02:12:40 PM »

fyberduck,

Yes, that first corner curves a bit, it's not going to be a sharp 90 degree angle. And you do actually twist the picked up bar stitch when you knit it. That firms up the stitches a little. It should look just fine when you're finished. Or curl up so it's not noticeable anyway... it's suppposed to curl. The pattern designer says not to block - it will take away the ripples that the dropped stitches form.

sue

Thanks Grin  That helps a lot, I kept wanting to fiddle with it (which would have been veryvery bad), but now I'll leave it be.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

the qfa:

Got a tape measurer?
kookoosp

20 yrs of schoolin & they put ya on the day shift

View Profile WWW
« Reply #979 on: December 10, 2006 08:58:07 PM »

Seems like my clapotis is going to end up a bit short  Embarrassed I'm one skein short of making the whole fabulous length, and... apparently, my yarn has gone out of production. Sad

So if anyone has, or knows someone who has, a skein of Debbie Bliss Maya color no 04 (I think..), I'd be overjoyed to buy/trade it from that person!

Oh, gosh!  I hope you can find the yarn to finish yours!!!  So sorry to hear it.  If I had some I would surely give it to you!  Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 96 97 [98] 99 100 ... 178 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Move Selections in Photoshop Elements
How to See Two Views in Photoshop Elements
Using the Zoom Tool Shortcut in Photoshop Elements
Using the New Lomo Effect in Photoshop Elements 9
Backing Up Photos
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Thrifty Dog Bed
October 29, 2014 Featured Projects
Craft Challenge #103, Foodie Frenzy 2 Winner

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...