A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 302,316
Currently Running With Scissors:
590 Guests and 18 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 178
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Clapotis from Knitty  (Read 258810 times)
Tags for this thread: clapotis  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Kimbabwe
« Reply #440 on: March 07, 2006 05:24:39 AM »

litlnemo, that is gorgeous! Love, love, love your final product. I would be wearing that thing 24 hours a day, 4 seasons a year.

I can't wait until mine is done! It's been a couple of months now and I'm barely halfway through.

Great job!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
artsygal

Come see my yarns!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #441 on: March 07, 2006 07:15:06 AM »

Yummy!

Anybody else want a base page where we list what yarns were used, how much was needed, and cite a reference to a companion picture (when applicable)?

Smiley

Add me to the list of people who want that! I've toyed around with the idea of how to implement something like that and have a few ideas going. The next month for me is going to be a busy one - I have a number of gifts to make, but after that I think I could take on a project like this maybe! There must be SOME script already existing out there that I can tweak to make it suit this purpose.

Jas
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Handpaints by Artsygal - a collection of unique and inspired handpainted yarns - is now open for business! Visit www.artsygal.net to see my yarns for yourself!
natagirl
What's your theme song?

Sifl & Olly - ROCK!

View Profile
« Reply #442 on: March 07, 2006 08:51:46 AM »

I used a spreadsheet checklist thingy while knitting the pattern, and made a note on it whenever I finished a skein.

I plan on starting my first in the next few days.  What does your sheet look like?  Usually I use note cards - but it seems like for a pattern like this is would be to much.  I would love to see/creativly borrow your excel sheet if you don't mine sharing.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

i'm a bad woman, but i'm damn good company.
vaudeville comedian fannie brice
knottyknitpicks
« Reply #443 on: March 07, 2006 09:51:13 AM »

Thank you! I went back to my post and added the technical info, so just scroll back up and it is there now.

thanks litlnemo!  i thought that your clapotis looked really familiar to the original Smiley  but less bulky as a scarf.  i think i like yours better.  not so bulky as a scarf, yet still large enough as a wrap.  i may have to follow your slight modifications.

THIS ROCKS   Logged
litlnemo
« Reply #444 on: March 07, 2006 03:54:33 PM »

There must be SOME script already existing out there that I can tweak to make it suit this purpose.

I don't know, but I think I would do it as a database in MySQL or something like that, and use php for dynamic web pages that would pull content from the database. If I had any spare time at all I would probably see about putting something like this together. Smiley But my thesis says "No more side projects! Finish ME first!"

What does your sheet look like?  Usually I use note cards - but it seems like for a pattern like this is would be to much.  I would love to see/creativly borrow your excel sheet if you don't mine sharing.

I got it from a the Yahoo! group Clapotisknitalong2005, in their files area. You have to join the group first to get access. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Clapotisknitalong2005/

Be warned, there seems to be an error in at least one of the spreadsheets (the one I used, actually) -- where the Knitty pattern says things like "Repeat Increase Rows 1-12 six times more" (plus the first repeat, making a total of 7 increase repeats), the spreadsheet only has 6 repeats. As long as you know this it's not a problem; you can just mark down an extra repeat. I looked at the Knitty pattern each time I started a new section to make sure it matched up with what the spreadsheet was telling me, to fix such errors.

thanks litlnemo!  i thought that your clapotis looked really familiar to the original   but less bulky as a scarf.  i think i like yours better.  not so bulky as a scarf, yet still large enough as a wrap.  i may have to follow your slight modifications.

It should be just as bulky as the original -- it's exactly as wide, with the same yarn. My stitch gauge was right on. But apparently my row gauge was off because it is 3 inches longer than the original -- even though I left out one straight repeat! Cheesy It looks smaller in that one scarf pic because I twisted it a lot before putting it on that time. If I don't bother twisting it much it's bulkier. It's kind of nice the way it varies in appearance depending on whether I twist it, or whether I wear it wrong side out, etc. It's way more versatile than you would think.

If you want less bulk, I would leave out one of the increase repeats (which will also save a bunch of yarn). It will still be wide enough to wear as a wrap, but it would take away some bulk.

Thanks everyone for the nice comments!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

artsygal

Come see my yarns!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #445 on: March 08, 2006 01:02:58 PM »

There must be SOME script already existing out there that I can tweak to make it suit this purpose.

I don't know, but I think I would do it as a database in MySQL or something like that, and use php for dynamic web pages that would pull content from the database. If I had any spare time at all I would probably see about putting something like this together. Smiley But my thesis says "No more side projects! Finish ME first!"

Well, I've decided to tackle this project.. see here: http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=83582.0

I've found a utility that helps in doing something very similar to what you describe, which is what I was hoping for, since I don't know didley squat about PHP .. but I'm computer literate enough to want to learn and this seems like just the right project to learn with. You sound like you know what you're talking about - can I call on you if I get myself stuck and need someone who knows a bit more than I do?

Jas
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Handpaints by Artsygal - a collection of unique and inspired handpainted yarns - is now open for business! Visit www.artsygal.net to see my yarns for yourself!
litlnemo
« Reply #446 on: March 09, 2006 12:40:59 AM »

I've found a utility that helps in doing something very similar to what you describe, which is what I was hoping for, since I don't know didley squat about PHP .. but I'm computer literate enough to want to learn and this seems like just the right project to learn with. You sound like you know what you're talking about - can I call on you if I get myself stuck and need someone who knows a bit more than I do?

Sure, but I can't write php... I rely on my in-house php programmer for that.  (I think the wedding vows said something about how he would always program for me when I need it.)  Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

loisgriffinwannabe
The knitter formerly known as Cutieknittahfairy...

Happy!

View Profile
« Reply #447 on: March 09, 2006 01:12:46 PM »

At last.... the skies above are blue....

After finishing this at 2am... here she is, blocking her lovely self:

I made a mistake early on (see third pic) and had to carry on doing garter stitch instead of stockinette between the dropped stitches. Please forgive and promise me salvation.  Kiss

Yes, its three pics, but goshdarnit, this took forever to knit, and I want praise dammit! Praise!

My aching fingers beseech you...

Emms (crazy as usual  Grin )
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010 09:02:33 AM by jungrrl - Reason: fixed picture(s) » THIS ROCKS   Logged

PimpernelSmith
I'm sooo over due to get over an ocean...*waves at far away places*

Jack of all Crafts -- Master of None

View Profile
« Reply #448 on: March 09, 2006 01:20:57 PM »

Yes, its three pics, but goshdarnit, this took forever to knit, and I want praise dammit! Praise!

My aching fingers beseech you...

Emms (crazy as usual  Grin )

PRAISE praise PRaAISe pppRAaaaiSE!

Cool Very cool!   Cool

I haven't been able to work on mine for the last two weeks (projects for other people take precedence), but your work will keep me inspired to go back and finish it!   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.Dave Barry
soapturtle
Turtle Collector

View Profile WWW
« Reply #449 on: March 09, 2006 03:22:59 PM »

I really like the garter stitch between the dropped stitches.  It adds an interesting texture. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 43 44 [45] 46 47 ... 178 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Meet Author of Cowboy and Wills
Behind the Books with Marlene Wallach
Meet Author Ru Freeman
Ian Irvine Talks About The Last Albatross
Doug Stanton Talks About Horse Soldiers
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!
Meatless Monday: Chia Pudding

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...