A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 297,163
Currently Running With Scissors:
448 Guests and 9 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 178
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Clapotis from Knitty  (Read 239502 times)
Tags for this thread: clapotis  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

soozeq
« Reply #400 on: February 20, 2006 07:09:49 AM »

So now I need to assess the situation anew.  I think this means that, rather than ripping out, I can just move all my markers over into the gap, because all the correct stitches are there, just the markers are off....

THANK YOU elijor!!!!  Cheesy

You can move the markers if you want, but that might confuse you further when you go on the correct way. lol
All you need to remember is to drop the K stitches that are between the two ktbl stitches.

sue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
piratekittie
« Reply #401 on: February 20, 2006 11:20:59 PM »

Ok, I think I'm finally ready to try this. I've been super scared to pick it up until now.

Now, I just have questions about yarn subs. I'm a super broke college student who has vowed to put more money into grocery shopping rather than yarn. So, my question is, would Caron Simply Soft work for this project or am I going to have to upgrade it just a bit? I was also thinking Shine from KnitPicks or Wool-Ease (Thought I saw one in Wool Ease on this thread...) Any opinions on that or suggestions for other super cheapo subs?

Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

HUGE Spring Cleaning Sale!!!!
Etsy: http://karenmaiko.etsy.com

I have a Blog!
 http://karenmaiko.blogspot.com
loisgriffinwannabe
The knitter formerly known as Cutieknittahfairy...

Happy!

View Profile
« Reply #402 on: February 21, 2006 12:03:10 AM »

Any opinions on that or suggestions for other super cheapo subs?

Thanks!

If you can do money order, cheque, paypal, or credit card, you can pick up some lovely 100% wool laceweight yarn from Handpaintedyarn for about 6$, 850 yds, which is enough for the whole Clapotis, and they also have lovely colors, and are super nice!
Here is a link: Handpainted Yarn in Laceweight
Emms
« Last Edit: February 21, 2006 12:04:54 AM by loisgriffinwannabe » THIS ROCKS   Logged

piratekittie
« Reply #403 on: February 21, 2006 02:28:00 AM »

I haven't seen any made with lace weight yarn... Do they still look nice and are they really light and not too functional for warmth?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

HUGE Spring Cleaning Sale!!!!
Etsy: http://karenmaiko.etsy.com

I have a Blog!
 http://karenmaiko.blogspot.com
litlnemo
« Reply #404 on: February 21, 2006 04:58:11 AM »

I was working on one for a while that was lace-weight, double-stranded. It was very light, even double-stranded. Eventually I decided I wanted to go the more "traditional" route, and started a new one with the yarn the pattern calls for... so far that weight seems to be a bit closer to what I imagined.

The lightweight one would have been nice, but it wasn't what I wanted.

I wouldn't want to use lace-weight yarn single-stranded for a Clapotis, I think.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

artsygal

Come see my yarns!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #405 on: February 21, 2006 08:18:20 AM »

I would love to make my next one in the lightest weight possible.. and still have it be.. well, cheap isn't quite the word.. but inexpensive. It's formy sister who lives in southern california and  reallydoesn't need something heavy.. just something light that she can use to ward off the chill in the evenings inthe summer since she feels cold easily.

Any suggestions for that? I love the lace weight handpaintedyarns.com .. price is perfect.. but I'm scared it'd be TOO thin?!

Jas
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Handpaints by Artsygal - a collection of unique and inspired handpainted yarns - is now open for business! Visit www.artsygal.net to see my yarns for yourself!
soozeq
« Reply #406 on: February 21, 2006 09:55:24 AM »

Now, I just have questions about yarn subs. I'm a super broke college student who has vowed to put more money into grocery shopping rather than yarn. So, my question is, would Caron Simply Soft work for this project or am I going to have to upgrade it just a bit? I was also thinking Shine from KnitPicks or Wool-Ease (Thought I saw one in Wool Ease on this thread...) Any opinions on that or suggestions for other super cheapo subs?

Thanks!

I made four with Simply Soft and they were wonderfully soft! One 6oz skein costs $2-2.50 and made on size 10.5/6mm needles, they were about 15-16" by about 72. I'm going to redo the one I made for myself because I want it a little wider, maybe about 18" which should make its length around 60 inches.

Another inexpensive option is TLC Lustre - you might need two skeins of that, depending on your needle size and how big you want it.

sue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
soozeq
« Reply #407 on: February 21, 2006 10:02:00 AM »

I was working on one for a while that was lace-weight, double-stranded. It was very light, even double-stranded. Eventually I decided I wanted to go the more "traditional" route, and started a new one with the yarn the pattern calls for... so far that weight seems to be a bit closer to what I imagined.

The lightweight one would have been nice, but it wasn't what I wanted.

I wouldn't want to use lace-weight yarn single-stranded for a Clapotis, I think.

I got two hanks of Knitpicks Shimmer to make one double stranded, but even on size 8s it was pretty thin (and too tedious for me to use needles that small). So I ordered another skein to do it tripled on #10s and we'll see how that turns out. It could be done with a single strand, but you'd have to use something like #3 needles and would have an awful lot of stitches to knit!

And to artsygal, the two stranded laceweight would be just great for Californians. You could get two skeins of Shimmer for about $9.50 plus $2 shipping. And throw in a couple skeins of something else for yourself at the same time....  Wink

sue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
artsygal

Come see my yarns!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #408 on: February 21, 2006 10:42:19 AM »

And to artsygal, the two stranded laceweight would be just great for Californians. You could get two skeins of Shimmer for about $9.50 plus $2 shipping. And throw in a couple skeins of something else for yourself at the same time....  Wink
sue

Oh... I'm a fairly new convert to knitting with nice yarn (the only stash I have is acrylic and mystery stuff someone gave me once) So any time I buy yarn for someone else I'll also buy myself something. No guilt whatsoever!

My only concern about knitting double stranded... I want to try to 'cheat' and make my sisters on my bond knitting machine. It will take a little manipulation to make it work the way I want.. but I think it can be done. Her birthday is March 13th, and after olympic knitting I don't think I'm up for ANOTHER olympic hand knitting session.. But machine knitting.. I can do that. And I've never knit anything double stranded on my bond before.. so I'm a little wary of that.  And I'm notorious for gifts being late (even if I'm not making them) so I don't want to end up having to hand knit it.. I KNOW it won't happen.. not for her birthday anyways.

Jas
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Handpaints by Artsygal - a collection of unique and inspired handpainted yarns - is now open for business! Visit www.artsygal.net to see my yarns for yourself!
litlnemo
« Reply #409 on: February 21, 2006 04:35:01 PM »

I got two hanks of Knitpicks Shimmer to make one double stranded, but even on size 8s it was pretty thin (and too tedious for me to use needles that small). So I ordered another skein to do it tripled on #10s and we'll see how that turns out. It could be done with a single strand, but you'd have to use something like #3 needles and would have an awful lot of stitches to knit!

Yeah, I was using the Shimmer as well, on 8s. Don't get me wrong, it was a nice fabric -- but I didn't like working with such fine yarn. It's still partly finished, and I am not sure what I am going to do with it... I can't quite bear to rip it back, but I don't really want to finish it either. Smiley

I think triple-stranded with Shimmer would be lovely.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 178 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Do French Braiding
How to Cut Bangs for a Boy
How to Razor Damaged Hair
How to Layer the Interior of the Hair
How to De-tangle and Cut Damaged Hair
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...