A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 300,875
Currently Running With Scissors:
553 Guests and 14 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 137 138 [139] 140 141 ... 178
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Clapotis from Knitty  (Read 234597 times)
Tags for this thread: clapotis  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

aunt carrot

pom-poms make the heart grow fonder

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1380 on: February 28, 2007 09:57:54 PM »

I love when someone notices my clapotis! The other day in the supermarket a woman stopped me and said "GREAT clapotis". Made my day. That's the third person to "name drop" it!
That's awesome! No one's ever name-dropped mine except the women at my SNB, but I wore it today and got some compliments!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"I didn't and don't want to be a 'feminine' version or a diluted version or a special version or a subsidiary version or an ancillary version or an adapted version of the heroes I admire. I want to be the heroes themselves." --Joanna Russ.
Melladh
Jolly doomsday prophet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1381 on: March 04, 2007 01:30:16 PM »

I've started my second clapotis, on 3mm needles and with 100% (ecological) cotton, hand-dyed. It's knitting up beautifully. Very early on it's giving me a much better impression than the wool did, even though it's not as pleasant to work with (it's hard, not at all stiff, but wool is so soft in comparison.. Roll Eyes ) It didn't look even the slightest bit wonky at any given time so far (I cast on yesterday, and I'm halfway between placing the 6+7 markers and the 8+9 ones)

I really recommend purling instead of using markers, it's both comfortable not to have to fight with the markers, and also: It gives you a small hint of how it will look once you start dropping stitches - the purled stitches lying neatly in straight lines on every other row (well, it just looks wavy if it's on every row)

I'll try to post progress pics soonish... Wink

I'm constantly wearing my wool one at the computer, because we have some sort of heating problem in our apartment, so it's freezing here. I don't dare to wear it outside, because there are velcro straps here and there on my parka jacket... Sad
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"That's my lab table and this is my work-stool. And over there is my intergalactic spaceship! And here's where I keep assorted lengths of wire."
lizbot

is it just me or is it getting awesome in here?

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1382 on: March 05, 2007 09:06:04 PM »

I'm 3 weeks in on my first Clapotis. I'm using knitpicks andean silk in olive. It's coming along slowly so far. I on the first round of section 3 "straight rows"!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Melladh
Jolly doomsday prophet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1383 on: March 06, 2007 06:25:15 AM »

For some reason both my scanner and my camera agree that my yarn is a grayish blue Huh Both on my screen and on the cameras miniscreen, it looks grayish blue. I guess it's the shinyness of the yarn that makes the cameras pick up more pale light from it than it gives off to the naked eye.
So I've tried to work it over in photoshop to get it a bit more true to color, which is why it looks a bit odd in the photo.

I'm so in love with how it's turning out that I'm almost considering not mixing this yarn with the other one I bought (an orange-yellow-blue-green deal that would add a bit of warmth to it, and make it look more summery) but I think I'm going to stick with my plan - I'm sure my mom will have me make one non-striped for her soon enough, because she looked at this one and said "is that the thing you're knitting for me?" to which I had to point out that she'd picked a white linen yarn, not green cotton... (I didn't tell her she'd also picked out a circular pattern for what she wanted me to make her, which should've been her second hint..)
She said "oh, well that's a shame", so it should just be a matter of time Wink
THIS ROCKS   Logged

"That's my lab table and this is my work-stool. And over there is my intergalactic spaceship! And here's where I keep assorted lengths of wire."
Amethyst
« Reply #1384 on: March 06, 2007 01:03:20 PM »

It looks green and blue to me, and very nice. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Melladh
Jolly doomsday prophet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1385 on: March 06, 2007 01:29:15 PM »

well, as I tried to say, I fiddled with the color levels in photoshop to make it look like it does irl - the camera wouldn't give it that look on it's own for some reason Smiley and thank you! Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

PimpernelSmith
Friend of Craftster Friend of Craftster

I'm sooo over due to get over an ocean...*waves at far away places*

Jack of all Crafts -- Master of None

View Profile
« Reply #1386 on: March 06, 2007 02:27:52 PM »

well, as I tried to say, I fiddled with the color levels in photoshop to make it look like it does irl - the camera wouldn't give it that look on it's own for some reason Smiley and thank you! Smiley

Yummy! What exactly IS the yarn you're using?
And I have to say that the purling makes it a neat pattern all on its own...

THIS ROCKS   Logged

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.Dave Barry
raychie
« Reply #1387 on: March 06, 2007 02:39:20 PM »

My Clapotis hasn't ever been name dropped-even at the LYS!

How crazy is that! They all just said that it was beautiful!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Melladh
Jolly doomsday prophet

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1388 on: March 06, 2007 02:47:25 PM »

Yummy! What exactly IS the yarn you're using?
And I have to say that the purling makes it a neat pattern all on its own...

Yeah, but it'll be much bigger with less yarn once the stitches drop! Grin
The yarn is called Ekobomull (eco cotton, eco as in ecological, not economical as one might notice when in a purchasing mood..)
It's a hand dyed swedish yarn, by Atalj Huskroken (http://www.huskroken.com/ - in swedish and almost no pics what so ever)
Since it's hand dyed, the price goes up with every color they put in. Single dye, two dyes, three dyes, four dyes... that's why I'm gonna make mine a mix between three two-dyed ones and two four-dyed.
I don't have much experience with cotton yarns, but of the few I've fiddled with, this feels best.

The four dyes cost 85kr ($12 per 50 grams) and one dye is 60kr ($8 per 50 grams)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

trinabrielle
« Reply #1389 on: March 07, 2007 10:42:19 AM »

I finally had to make one of these! I ended up spending $10 for mine. I some how found 5 dye lot matching balls of Patons SWS for $2 each in the Walmart clearance section! I had never seen it there before, so I have no idea how it was in the clearance section.

Front:

Back:
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Handspun and recycled yarns:
http://TBFibers.etsy.com

Handmade hats, scarves, and other fun accessories:
http://TrinaBrielle.etsy.com

http://www.flickr.com/photos/trinabrielle
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 137 138 [139] 140 141 ... 178 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create a Beachy Hair Style
How to Do a Hair Replacement for Alopecia - Part 2
Overview on the Inspire Hair Color Line - Part 5
How to Do a Hair Replacement for Alopecia - Part 4
Overview on the Inspire Hair Color Line - Part 1
Latest Blog Articles
Spotlight On: Stamping
Mr X Stitch Presents: The Cutting (& Stitching) Edge - Jose Romussi
Tute Tuesday: Imprinting on Concrete

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...