A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 302,653
Currently Running With Scissors:
677 Guests and 20 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 136 137 [138] 139 140 ... 178
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Clapotis from Knitty  (Read 261427 times)
Tags for this thread: clapotis  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

tenrec

*adaptive*radiation*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1370 on: February 26, 2007 12:37:36 PM »

I made a full-size clapotis out of 100% pima cotton, but the yarn is a bit thinner than dishcloth cotton.  The drape is lovely - I didn't block it at all because I like how it curls into a tube, and it fits quite nicely wrapped around my neck as a scarf.  It's also nice next to my skin, but I've still found it plenty warm for winter.  There are photos on my blog here.
Definitely recommended!
« Last Edit: February 27, 2007 04:06:32 PM by tenrec » THIS ROCKS   Logged

soozeq
« Reply #1371 on: February 27, 2007 06:35:27 AM »

I think Knitpick's is having a sale on one of their cotton yarns....

sue
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
isisfae
New England Yarn Addict

i poke badgers with spoons!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1372 on: February 27, 2007 08:49:10 AM »

I made a full-size clapotis out of 100% pima cotton, but the yarn is a bit thinner than dishcloth cotton.  The drape is lovely - I didn't block it at all because I like how it curls into a tube, and it fits quite nicely wrapped around my neck as a scarf.  It's also nice next to my skin, but I've still found it plenty warm for winter.  There are photos on my blog.
Definitely recommended!

i took a peek at your blog and i like your posts and setup.

found your clapotis... very pretty!

hmmm so the worsted weight dishcloth cotton might be too heavy, eh? hmmm i'm starting to think that too.

i did see that knit picks has some beautiful cotton yarns in lighter weights, i'll have to check.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. ~Mark Twain
OneCleverMonkey
« Reply #1373 on: February 27, 2007 02:56:58 PM »

I saw my first Clapotis on the the street today -- recognized it immediately, and almost stopped the woman wearing it to ask her all about it.  I thought better of it at the last minute -- with my luck a friend would have knitted it for her, and she would have thought me quite strange...  With such a popular pattern, I knew it would only be a matter of time. (Any of you wear your Clapotis around Durham, NC today?  Smiley)
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Birds were singing, though with no more or no less religiosity than if they'd been at a New Jersey landfill...

Tom Robbins.

sporadic blogging at:  http://wildthingsrunfast.blogspot.com
PimpernelSmith
I'm sooo over due to get over an ocean...*waves at far away places*

Jack of all Crafts -- Master of None

View Profile
« Reply #1374 on: February 27, 2007 03:20:08 PM »

general question:

b/c this thread's so long it's easier to ask than look through the posts...

has anyone made one out of cotton???
i'm planning on making one out of some worsted weight dishcloth cotton i have in my stash. and would like to know if it's just as easy to make in cotton as it was for me to make out of an acrylic/wool blend. i have a feeling it'll have a lot more drape w/o blocking (i had to block my first one, it was a giant lump)

thanks!

Yep -- my first one was 100% cotton, and I love it!  Soft, excellent drape, and good versitility.  See posts
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=25312.msg1061784#msg1061784

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=25312.msg1303022#msg1303022
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic.Dave Barry
KatAutumn
Knitty Hippie

Princess of Mod Podge

View Profile
« Reply #1375 on: February 27, 2007 03:29:52 PM »

Some of you are so lucky to meet up with kindred spirits whilst wearing your Clapotis.  I have yet to see anyone out and about wearing anything from Knitty.  Of course, it may have something to do with the fact that it rarely gets that cold here. 

Although, I was watching the movie "In Her Shoes" the other night, and there's a scene in the beginning where Cameron Diaz is job hunting and she is wearing this dark blue dropped stitch scarf.  It's not a Clapotis, because the dropped stitches run straight along the length of the scarf, but it was still neat to see something recognizable.   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Artsy Fartsy LJ:
The Krafting Kat
tenrec

*adaptive*radiation*

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1376 on: February 27, 2007 04:05:11 PM »

i took a peek at your blog and i like your posts and setup.

found your clapotis... very pretty!

hmmm so the worsted weight dishcloth cotton might be too heavy, eh? hmmm i'm starting to think that too.

i did see that knit picks has some beautiful cotton yarns in lighter weights, i'll have to check.

Thanks for the compliments!

I think the dishcloth cotton might be too heavy for a full-size clappy, but the scarf-size might work (just do fewer increase rows and more straight rows)

Or the lightweight options would work, too Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

isisfae
New England Yarn Addict

« Reply #1377 on: February 28, 2007 07:09:32 AM »

I saw my first Clapotis on the the street today -- recognized it immediately, and almost stopped the woman wearing it to ask her all about it.  I thought better of it at the last minute -- with my luck a friend would have knitted it for her, and she would have thought me quite strange...  With such a popular pattern, I knew it would only be a matter of time. (Any of you wear your Clapotis around Durham, NC today?  Smiley)

not in NC but last week i wore mine to the LYS b/c my mom needed to get some cashmere blend yarn (and of course i picked up some yarn for me too!)

as soon as i walked in the shop owner recognized my clapotis as a clapotis
 (worn as a shawl over my wool coat) and had me model it for her, an employee, and another customer! i even took it off so they could see it in all it's glory! they loved it and marveled at my yarn choice and my stitches and then when i told them it only took me a week to make, they were gobsmacked b/c the LYS owner had started one and she had just classified it as a UFO!

oh it was such an ego boost b/c i can be so self-conscious about my knitting. i told her that i was planning on making Branching Out as well but was too nervous to start it and she gave me the confidence boost to get me to start it that night. she basically said "oh it's easier than it looks! just follow the pattern and you'll be fine. if you could make that clapotis in a week, you can make branching out"

tenrec: can i add you to my blogroll? you can add me if you want http://knewenglandknitter.wordpress.com
THIS ROCKS   Logged

isisfae
New England Yarn Addict

« Reply #1378 on: February 28, 2007 09:27:37 AM »

general question:

b/c this thread's so long it's easier to ask than look through the posts...

has anyone made one out of cotton???
i'm planning on making one out of some worsted weight dishcloth cotton i have in my stash. and would like to know if it's just as easy to make in cotton as it was for me to make out of an acrylic/wool blend. i have a feeling it'll have a lot more drape w/o blocking (i had to block my first one, it was a giant lump)

thanks!

Yep -- my first one was 100% cotton, and I love it!  Soft, excellent drape, and good versitility.  See posts
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=25312.msg1061784#msg1061784

http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=25312.msg1303022#msg1303022

oooooooo very pretty! i've always wanted to try Knit 1 Crochet Too yarn. i think you just gave me an excuse!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

BeginnerKnitter
« Reply #1379 on: February 28, 2007 06:17:49 PM »

I love when someone notices my clapotis! The other day in the supermarket a woman stopped me and said "GREAT clapotis". Made my day. That's the third person to "name drop" it!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 136 137 [138] 139 140 ... 178 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Be Parisian With Laura Brown
Would You Pierce Your Eyebrows to Be on Trend?
Tips for Glowing Skin
Banishing Beauty Blunders
What Exercise and a Little Olive Oil Can Do for Your Skin
Latest Blog Articles
August 26, 2015 Featured Projects
Tute Tuesday: Flannel Hoodie
Magical Miniatures

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...