A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: If you see a project that you think is awesome and deserves to be a featured project, you can click the THIS ROCKS button to nominate it!
Total Members: 302,328
Currently Running With Scissors:
524 Guests and 7 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 ... 133 134 [135] 136 137 ... 178
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Clapotis from Knitty  (Read 259055 times)
Tags for this thread: clapotis  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Amalas
« Reply #1340 on: February 20, 2007 08:16:27 AM »

and have you thought about soaking it in baking soda saturated water, rinsing it, then letting it air dry again?

Yeah, baking soda crossed my mind.  I had thought of sprinkling it on or something, but I knew that wouldn't work.  Baking soda water makes sense though.  I may have to try that tonight.  Thanks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Two roads diverged in a Yellow Wood
~ Twitter ~ Flickr ~
KatAutumn
Knitty Hippie

Princess of Mod Podge

View Profile
« Reply #1341 on: February 20, 2007 08:34:36 AM »

Ah yes...the funky smell.  I've never actually blocked a finished project before, but I have felted and 100% wool smells like a wet dog after you've felted it.  Blech.  Next time I felt I'm going to have to try the baking soda trick.  I've also heard you can use Tea Tree oil in the water to eliminate odors.   Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Artsy Fartsy LJ:
The Krafting Kat
isisfae
New England Yarn Addict

i poke badgers with spoons!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1342 on: February 20, 2007 10:22:56 AM »

Ah yes...the funky smell.  I've never actually blocked a finished project before, but I have felted and 100% wool smells like a wet dog after you've felted it.  Blech.  Next time I felt I'm going to have to try the baking soda trick.  I've also heard you can use Tea Tree oil in the water to eliminate odors.   Smiley

i've done tea tree oil.... and unless you like how it smells (it's very astringent) i don't recommend it b/c the smell won't ever come out.

lavender oil works much better and the scent is not as strong.

if you're felting something, just add some baking soda to the washer. there's instructions on the box on how to use it with your laundry. i've added it to a washer when trying to clean the smell out of gym clothes and cleats.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. ~Mark Twain
ejlown
I'm a momma on the brink

View Profile
« Reply #1343 on: February 20, 2007 11:28:51 AM »

Ladies I have a question. For those of you who knitted up a clapotis out of Patons SWS, is it scratchy? If so, does it get better when washed? I have been thinking about making a clapotis for my mom out of SWS, but if it's scratchy she'll pooh pooh it.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://mommaonthebrink.blog.com/

Knitting, crocheting, jewelrymaking and everything in between
meriellyn
« Reply #1344 on: February 20, 2007 03:54:08 PM »

SWS is soft but can be itchy on sensitive spots. Depends on your skin, I think. My mom has no probblem with it anywhere. I can have it on my arms or shoulders but not my neck or inner thigh. I often sit crosslegged while knitting and found that it itched when it was in contact with my leg for very long.
I haven't tried it yet but I'm going to soak mine in some conditioner to see if I can make it a little more tolerable.

I should mention that I do have pretty sensitive skin and eczema. Your mileage may vary.

THIS ROCKS   Logged

ejlown
I'm a momma on the brink

View Profile
« Reply #1345 on: February 20, 2007 06:13:55 PM »

Thanks meriellyn. I might make a scarf out of some SWS first and see how it does around my neck. If I can take it, my mom should be allright.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://mommaonthebrink.blog.com/

Knitting, crocheting, jewelrymaking and everything in between
Sockdiva
« Reply #1346 on: February 21, 2007 12:04:32 AM »

I am SOOO addicted to knitting Clapotis'!  I finished my first from handpaintedyarn.com, the boucle, and thisis how it turned out. It drapes sooo nicely!  I can wear it like a scarf too...I was outside watching the bike racers in the Tour of California, all those international cyclists, and I felt so...international!

I keep waiting for someone to come up to me and talk about knitting Clapotis, but so far, I think I'm the only one in my town that has. Boohoo. But luckily I get to read this thread and feel that you'all understandGrin

]

Right now I'm knitting one from a superwash merino ordered from Elann. And then today, I completely splurged and bought some wool/silk handdyed yarn from MysticalCreationYarn.etsy.com Here's the pic from their shop:

I know it's bulky, so I'm thinking it'll be this wonderful wrapped shawl from Fall. So funny, I usually knit socks. Many socks, mindlessly and automatically. Now I'm into Clapotis! Takes much longer, but so fun to wear!!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://sockdiva.etsy.com
Omiyage, unique yarns, fibers, and jewelry

http://deedolce.blogspot.com/
Amethyst
« Reply #1347 on: February 21, 2007 03:18:31 AM »

Wow, it looks great. Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Amalas
« Reply #1348 on: February 21, 2007 06:14:52 AM »

Finally got my pictures uploaded, so here they are!

On left: blocking
On right: closeup

On left: Me wearing it as a scarf (how I usually wear it).  It's sooooo long.   Grin
On right: Me wearing it as a shawl, which will be so awesome once it actually gets warm around here!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Two roads diverged in a Yellow Wood
~ Twitter ~ Flickr ~
isisfae
New England Yarn Addict

i poke badgers with spoons!

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #1349 on: February 21, 2007 06:24:35 AM »

Thanks meriellyn. I might make a scarf out of some SWS first and see how it does around my neck. If I can take it, my mom should be allright.

instead of making a scarf, cut a necklace length strand from the ball and wear it with your favorite pendant for a day. this way you can see if it'll be itchy before you spend time working with it and so little is used, you can still return it. (idea taken from SnB)

i made a calorimetry out of SWS and i can't wear it, it makes my head and ears itch! it's felted too and it still itches!

but then my skin is super sensitive... i can't even wear cotton around my neck w/o my skin acting out.

Amalas: i love your clapotis! so pretty! what yarn did you use? it's VERY yellow, but it looks superb on you.

Sockdiva: wow!!! i love yours too! that yarn is gorgeous! and it looks a lot like mine. lol yours could the the more expensive version of mine. lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. ~Mark Twain
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 ... 133 134 [135] 136 137 ... 178 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to use AutoCAD 2007 3D - Modeling Interference Checking
How to use AutoCAD 2007 3D - Thicken Surface
How to use AutoCAD 2007 3D - Sweep a Profile on a 3D Edge
How to use AutoCAD 2007 3D - Convert to Solid
How to use Architectural Desktop 2008 - Annotation Scaling
Latest Blog Articles
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!
Meatless Monday: Chia Pudding

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...