A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Join us for fun, contests and discussions on Craftster's Facebook page!
Total Members: 295,083
Currently Running With Scissors:
563 Guests and 10 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 178
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Clapotis from Knitty  (Read 234471 times)
Tags for this thread: clapotis  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Horse Power
« on: February 09, 2005 06:23:38 AM »

Knitty's Clapotis:
http://knitty.com/ISSUEfall04/PATTclapotis.html

Isn't she fascinating with all those dropped stitches?

Here's a link if anyone needs help knitting or purling in the front and back of the stitch:
http://www.stitchguide.com/stitches/knitting/stitch_pages/kn_increase.html

And one for slip stitch, (which I only just learned I've been doing backwards Grin)....
http://www.stitchguide.com/stitches/knitting/stitch_pages/kn_slip_stitch.html

Oh, and here's the link to Knitty's abbreviations guide (scroll down):
http://knitty.com/ISSUEwinter04/patterns.html

I can't wait for my yarn to get here!  Grin
THIS ROCKS   Logged

acesulfamek
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2005 10:20:16 AM »

I was just thinking about a Clapotis knitalong!  I picked up some yarn last week, and I'm going to get started just as soon as I work through a couple more back-log projects (maybe this weekend). 

The first time I cast on and did a few rows, I started thinking that the whole look was a little too fancy/girlie for me, but I replaced that with some brighter yarn, and I'm happier with it.  Also, I'm the only person at the place where I work who hasn't made this yet, so I got some peer pressure. 

What yarn are you using?  Did you go with Lion and Lamb?  L&L is so lovely. 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Horse Power
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2005 02:32:36 AM »

Hi acesulfamek, I decided to try some worsted wool from an ebay seller. (lotusblossom) (I tried to put a link here to show you but it was a mile long) The colorway is called Raspberrys and is shades of purple and pink.

I considered a merino/silk blend since the L & L had some silk in it, but I opted for a larger quantity of less expensive yarn since I heard this project can take a lot of yardage.

ibmomof2's thread on yarn substitution ideas is here:
http://www.craftster.org/forum/index.php?topic=23343.0

Legallyblonde is making one of Koigu.

What are the rest of you thinking about using?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

abinka
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2005 04:19:58 AM »

I'm thinking of going out on a limb and trying a yarn I've never even heard of before based on the colors/pictures online...It's Katia's "Cindy".

http://www.yarnmarket.com/product.cfm?action=show_product&product_id=699

Do you think this would work out? And since it comes in 50g balls, and the L&L comes in 100g balls, does that mean I need 6 instead of 3? 6 seems like a heck of a lot of balls for a scarf/wrap thing...It's kind of hard for me to figure out substitutions, so if anyone can help that would be great.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Horse Power
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2005 06:16:35 AM »

abinka, 6 balls seems right to me. That's a neat yarn you found!

Maybe a more experienced knitter could look and offer an opinion about the number of balls required?

The way I figured it, the pattern used 615 yards (205 yards per skein x 3 skeins), or 300 g (100g x 3 skeins). Doublecheck this with the pattern to be sure I'm figuring that right, please!

acesulfamek, what qualities should people be looking for in a yarn?

THIS ROCKS   Logged

abinka
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2005 07:22:12 AM »

Yeah that's the math I got too, but I was just sort of winging it. I picked that yarn because it's supposed to be "light and airy" which I figured was a good quality. I'm vegan so I don't really use the wool stuff, but I think the acetate in this yarn will hopefully drape like silk. Of course I don't really know because I've never seen it. If anyone has any input on this yarn before I buy it, that would be great.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
legallyblonde
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2005 08:55:06 AM »

Hi!  I'm going to join this knitalong too.  I started Clapotis last week but put it aside after a couple of days to finish up a sweater and cast on for another one, if I want to wear them this winter.

I'm doing my Clapotis of Koigu (I think the colorway is 213) and making it thinner, more like a scarf than a shawl.  It's about 8 inches wide.  I had about 1/3 of each of 2 skeins of Koigu left from a hat I made and another full skein.  After getting started, I realized that I would probably need one more skein and fortunately, my LYS had that another skein of that colorway and dyelot (during their SuperBowl sale,too!  20% off!).

It's going really quickly, I'm surprised, since I'm using size 6 needles.  The pattern looked a bit intimidating at first (I'd consider myself an advanced beginner or maybe intermediate knitter) because it's so long in parts but it's really surprisingly simple. 

For yarn selection, you would want something soft, that would drape nicely, and nothing that would be too hard to drop the stitches.   My only reservation on the Katia would be that it wouldn't be very warm but wouldn't it be a gorgeous spring or summer wrap too? 

On yardage, it has 111 yards/skein so 6 would be right.  You may even want to get one extra.  I've seen quite a few reports online where people say that it took more yards than the pattern specified. 

Whew, I'm wordy!  Here's my progress so far.  It's not a great picture, it doesn't show off just how lovely Koigu is!  (and yes, I'm obsessed with the color pink)

THIS ROCKS   Logged

abinka
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2005 09:02:32 AM »

Ooh look how gorgeous that is!

Yeah I was hoping to do it as a spring/summer thing, so hopefully the Katia will be a good choice. Now, to convince myself it's ok to order this yarn although I have so much more sitting around waiting to be used.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
beatnik_chik
Lightly Effervescent

Helpless!

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2005 10:15:25 AM »

OH WOW!  I want to join this knitalong!  That is so beautiful!  Problem is, I've never knit using good yarn that I bought from a good store.  I'm more of a thrift-store or discount store  yarn gal. 
I'm a pretty advanced knitter, and the pattern looks pretty simple for me to understand.
So what do you girls think?  Should I make a scarf as my first expensive project?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

<{{{><
And like a downward smoke, the slender stream
Along the cliff to fall and pause and fall did seem.
lizzaboogle
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2005 01:08:42 PM »

Oh that koigu one is purrdy.
beatnik chik- I'm kind of the same as you with yarn.  I use really cheap yarn most of the time.  i've only ever used expensive yarn when I've gotten it as a gift.  I've been wanting to make Clapotis for a while, but I just can't decide what yarn to use.  I've narrowed it down to 2...
http://www.knitpicks.com/yarns/yarn_display.aspx?itemid=5420126
http://www.loopyarn.com/Detail.bok?no=131
I've seen a few finished ones done with the artyarns supermerino.  I was thinking I would need 6 of those or 7 of the other?  Picking yarn is always a challenge for me.... Tongue
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 178 Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
4 Cool Ways to Wear Plaid
Holiday Makeover for a Busy Mom
What to Wear on Thanksgiving and the Days After
Carbon Copy: Get January Jones Fall Look
Miranda Kerr Reveals Style Inspiration
Latest Blog Articles
CrafTATstic Crafty Tattoos: 30th Birthday Tattoo
April 17, 2014 Featured Projects
Spotlight On: Amigurumi

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...