A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Craftster is for freely sharing how to make things! Don't post pics of things you sell in hopes of getting some sales or we'll have to bust out the LIMBO stick on you! Wink
Total Members: 300,941
Currently Running With Scissors:
640 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: DPN woes...  (Read 1051 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

sugar-magnolia
« on: June 22, 2008 10:36:52 AM »

Okay, so I've been trying for weeks to get the hang of dpns, and I am just a mess.  My stitches get twisted, I knit into the wrong side of the stitches through the middle, I drop needles, stuff I didn't even know could go wrong with knitting.  However, my grandmother is going to see if she can help me sometime this week.  In the meantime, though, any chance of some stories of your first dpn experience, so I don't feel so dumb? 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A wist at last!  www.wists.com/sugar-magnolia

www.thehungersite.com 

www.freerice.com   <-- this is a really fun vocabulary game that gives rice to the hungry for every question you answer correctly
CraftyGal13

teacher, knitter, colorguard girl, craftster!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2008 11:00:34 AM »

I've never tried DPNs...I'm the first to admit that I'm completely terrified of using more than 2 needles at once.  But it's never been a problem for me because I learned magic loop and love it!  I can knit all the small-circumference items that use DPNs, but without having to use 4 needles Smiley  But I know plenty of people who love using DPNs, it's all just personal preference.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Skellerz
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2008 03:23:34 PM »

Rofl, that is EXACTLY why I learned Magic Loop.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
soozeq
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2008 06:11:43 PM »

Try casting on about 20-30 sts and put them on only 2 needles, use a 3rd to knit with for a while. That way you only have one extra in the way. After about an inch you can start knitting with the 4th needle and rearrange the sts. By then you should be able to handle all of them.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

sue
sugar-magnolia
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2008 07:45:23 PM »

Try casting on about 20-30 sts and put them on only 2 needles, use a 3rd to knit with for a while. That way you only have one extra in the way. After about an inch you can start knitting with the 4th needle and rearrange the sts. By then you should be able to handle all of them.

Wow, that's a great idea!  Thanks!  And thanks to everyone for sharing--I feel better now Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

A wist at last!  www.wists.com/sugar-magnolia

www.thehungersite.com 

www.freerice.com   <-- this is a really fun vocabulary game that gives rice to the hungry for every question you answer correctly
brandnew
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2008 07:49:02 PM »

It took me a little while to get a hang of too. It helped me to watch the video about it on knittinghelp.com
THIS ROCKS   Logged

ThreadBear
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2008 12:39:07 PM »

check out my thread.... first soc... I included fuzzy pics...!!! My sock is actually inside out... but there's this web pg sock101.. its helped me thru every stage so... far.. even after I've poked my nose... cheek and nearly poked my eye out....!!!! don't hold them too close to ur face is my advice.. however much u want to see if ur doing it right!!!! Shocked
THIS ROCKS   Logged
HelenM

Acting like some kind of 50s housewife

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2008 03:51:48 PM »

The first time I used dpns I knit inside out, so the bumps were on the outside! I turned it inside out fairly easily but numerous fingerless gloves later I still have to watch myself  Cheesy It *does* get easier and knitting help is brilliant.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

VaxGirl
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2008 07:37:11 AM »

Inside out is a common occurance, just pushing it though should work. 

Bamboo or wooden DPN's might be easier to learn with than metal, I still find metal ones too slippery after years and years of knitting.  They fall out, poke me in the eye, stab me, etc.  Bamboo ones stay put pretty well.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
gmadanger
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2008 10:10:14 PM »

i like to knit two to four rows straight before transferring the sts to the dpns. that way the knitting is a bit more solid, not so floppy, and you're sure not to get it twisted or inside out.

my other tip is make suuuure your dpns are long enough, or that you're using enough of them, that your sts don't fall off the ends! bamboo helps hold them on but physics is physics.

oh--and the ladder a lot of people get between needles--the way i've found of eliminating it is not to over-tighten the first st on each needle, as is usually suggested, but instead the *second* stitch. works for me.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

you're not dying. you just can't think of anything good to do.

livejournal: asltw
etsy: greenyblue67 (empty atm)
ravelry: asltw
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Make a Blender Video Tutorial
How to Use Blender: Advanced Vital Functions
How to Use Photoshop - Dramatic Skies
SURIMPRESSIONS - GUACOLDA
Saturated Reds – Photoshop for Video Episode 91
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...