A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Cookie Policy | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Please remember to SEARCH before asking a question that may have already been answered. Thanks!
Total Members: 302,363
Currently Running With Scissors:
429 Guests and 2 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: My big medieval brading adventure part one *IMG obese*  (Read 8674 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

pseudo_pix

It's okay paper tiger

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« on: June 22, 2008 06:43:26 AM »

(I'm not sure where to put this entry, so just move it if I overlooked the proper forum!)

I've been working on braids from a 15th century manuscript, currently stored in The British Library. The British Library Manuscript Harley 2320 part 4 is a small parchment book with instructions to about 40 different braids. Some can be made by one person and others require a partner. All braids here are made with a smooth very cheap yarn as I wanted to try all the braids out before going out to buy silk - which they originally is made from. Here in Denmark this kind of braiding is called slendring.

This part 1 is braids and laces for one person. First is a collected overview of the different kinds. Further down is comment for each of the braids:

These first two are braided in the same way. It is supposed to be in one colour but I tried out making it with two colours as well. This braid is particularly nice for lacing in dresses and such because is half circle shaped: Flat on one side and round on the other.

This too is the same braid, a very common one here in Denmark. It's made a bit differently than the normal method of slendring, but the result is the same.

Here is a mixture of four different braids. The first is a version of the braid above. The second is a little slimmer than the others and looks a lot like a braid made with what is called slyngstokke in Danish, I don't know the English term I'm afraid (pic here: http://www.uldogvaev.dk/Graphics/Products/109.jpg). The third is a mixture of two braids. The first is the one on the picture above and the second is the braid parted in two, making two little braids.

Now I go on to the more extravagant braids.
The first two are the same broad lace but one made with single colour and the other bi colour. The third, which is on both the left and right picture, is a hollow thick lace. On the far right is a version of the middle braid on above picture, the colour is split all the way down.

Here is a broader version of a braid, and the same braid parted in two - making it look like buttonhole lace. In the middle is two different kind of laces in the same string. The upper is flat with split colour and the lower in principle the same braid just made round. On the right is one of the cutest braids in my opinion.

Here are three different kinds of broad laces with different patterns. The first two, on the same string, is two versions of the same braid. The second string is yet a broader one.

And now the thick round braids. The first one is very sweet and very elastic. The second and the third are versions of this. The second seems very bulky. The fourth braid is actually two smaller braids twisted into each other. There is a small room between the two and they then meet.

And the more lacelike braids. The first has a strong braid on one side and a looser shell like on the other. The second lace is a variation of the first. The third is very elastic. All the white strings lie inside covered by the blue. When this is made you need a swivel because the braid twists a lot. It is quite difficult to make as the tightness is very easily messed up.

And to the grand finally!
My very own (accidental) version of one of the broad laces. This shows how easy it is to change the pattern. I only picked up a loop up differently than the instructions said and I ended up with this neat pattern:

~pseudo_pix
« Last Edit: July 12, 2008 07:20:25 AM by sweets4ever » THIS ROCKS   Logged

The Mitten Project is a year of mittens! Each week a new mitten and you get to choose which ones should be knit. In the end three pairs will be given away to you readers.

Facebook page of TMP
kahluakiggy
Tirelessly working to raise the next generation of Craftsters.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2008 06:56:03 AM »

Those are great!  That's a really good skill to have, I may have to look into learning it.  Are they made like friendship bracelets, with tons of small knots, or are they actually plaited?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

What doesn't kill you makes you stranger. --The Joker

After all, to the well-organized mind, death is but the next great adventure. -- Albus Dumbledore

Sokka: My first girlfriend turned into the moon.
Zuko: Thats rough, buddy.
Ladyofdeepwater

dont support a prez who cant respect the flag

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2008 06:58:01 AM »

that is very cool. I wonder how well it would work on hair?
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Obama for change.......cause that is all we will have left when he is through with us.......
JLMS
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2008 07:06:49 AM »

These braids are fabulous. I never knew there were so many types. This is very educational and thanks so much for posting all your great work. Yet another craft to learn.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
pseudo_pix

It's okay paper tiger

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2008 07:34:40 AM »

Those are great!  That's a really good skill to have, I may have to look into learning it.  Are they made like friendship bracelets, with tons of small knots, or are they actually plaited?

that is very cool. I wonder how well it would work on hair?

These are just made as tests on the different kind of braiding, I was pondering using them for purses that I could sell on medieval markeds when I'm there - girls always forget their purse at home and need to buy a new one, and oddly enough no one ever sells them.

Hm, I'm not sure if you can do them in hair, due to using loop to braid with. But it should be possible to made some of them with yarn on a piece of hair.

I used a book called Tak V Bowes Departed (strange name I know). You can buy it directly from the authors here: http://takvbowes.et-tu.com/
THIS ROCKS   Logged

The Mitten Project is a year of mittens! Each week a new mitten and you get to choose which ones should be knit. In the end three pairs will be given away to you readers.

Facebook page of TMP
tas
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2008 07:39:48 AM »

Those are amazing! a little piece of history most people would overlook! What will you use these for? they'd make gorgeous necklaces/bracelets.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Trekky
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2008 08:02:06 AM »

These are fantastic & so interesting.  Were they time comsuming to make?  What inspired you to follow at 15th century pattern?

Trekky  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

http://craftytrekky.blogspot.com/

I have lots of train tickets (I get the train most days), if anyone wants some for papercrafting just send me a PM Smiley
pseudo_pix

It's okay paper tiger

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2008 08:46:56 AM »

Well, inspiration is my interest in history and historic costumes. I love to make the little detail for my costumes, because that's what makes the big difference. And then of course I love to be creative and these braids can be maid while watching TV.

Some of them is very timeconsuming and others take no time at all. The thick round ones takes no time at all where some of the broader braids take for ever.

I plan to use them for medieval purses, lacing and as decoration for clothes and hats, as they were intended to, but I have also though of bracelets yes Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Facebook page of TMP
tatmom

Warm and fuzzy....

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2008 09:57:25 AM »

those are gorgeous! I found instructions for how to do one style in a magazine, and I've used them as necklace chains to hang my tatted designs from....
I'd love to learn more styles!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Eartian
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2008 10:24:02 AM »

Shocked I love the first round yellow braid!
All of them look really good!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
Tunisian Crochet: How to Do Double Stitches
Tunisian Crochet: How to Do a Treble Stitch
Tunisian Crochet: How to a Reverse Stitch
Tunisian Crochet: How to Start
Tunisian Crochet: How to Do Simple Stitches
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Fabric Boxes
Tute Tuesday: A Pod of Narwhals
Hey, it's summer. Go outside!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...