A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Curious if a project is for sale, or if someone wants to do a private swap with you?  Please Personal Message the member rather than posting on the thread.
Total Members: 298,744
Currently Running With Scissors:
802 Guests and 16 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: [1]
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Soldered microscope slide pendant  (Read 1585 times)
Tags for this thread: microscope_slide  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

meganita
« on: June 30, 2008 12:06:06 PM »

Hi all, here is my first attempt at soldering. I was pretty frustrated at first but it got better as I went along and wasn't nearly as scary as I thought it would be. Some parts look burnt so I am thinking of going over them again, but the spots aren't too bad. I was thinking of giving this to a friend for her birthday, but I am always very critical of what I make...so I would like your thoughts, Would you be happy with this as a gift or does it look too amateur-ish? 

It's really not that crooked, it just hung that way for some reason:

Whole necklace:

close up of design and soldering:
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ElevatedLines
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2008 01:21:13 PM »

Oh my gosh, it's so beautiful! I think it would make a wonderful present. I think the parts that make you think it looks amateur are some of the same elements that make it so beautiful.

Also, congrats on tackling that project! I've wanted to try soldering with slides for awhile, but I've never tried soldering before so it makes me nervous.. Your brave and your first try came out wonderful! I'm so jealous!  Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged
ademareej
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2008 01:53:29 PM »

That is beautiful!  It will make an excellent present, for sure.
THIS ROCKS   Logged

snooks1152
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2008 03:36:13 PM »

I think it's just beautiful and I'm sure your friend would love it, I would! I'd like to try the microscope slides but can't find them anywhere, I don't live close to a major craft store. Where did you buy yours?
THIS ROCKS   Logged
nycalison
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2008 03:43:38 PM »

I dont think it looks amateur-ish at all, it looks like it supposed to be that way, likw vintagey Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

meganita
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2008 09:11:36 PM »

Oh my gosh, it's so beautiful! I think it would make a wonderful present. I think the parts that make you think it looks amateur are some of the same elements that make it so beautiful.

Also, congrats on tackling that project! I've wanted to try soldering with slides for awhile, but I've never tried soldering before so it makes me nervous.. Your brave and your first try came out wonderful! I'm so jealous!  Smiley

thanks! its really not as bad as i thought it would be, if you're interested you should definitely try it. i bought a cheap soldering tool from michaels which came with the copper tape and solder, i just bought the flux from home depot.

I think it's just beautiful and I'm sure your friend would love it, I would! I'd like to try the microscope slides but can't find them anywhere, I don't live close to a major craft store. Where did you buy yours?

I actually bought them online...i tried looking for the link to the company i ended up going with but i cant find it. i looked through ebay and then just googled blank microscope slides and you should come up with something. i think i bought a pack of 72 for like 3.99.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
teacups_
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2008 10:28:32 PM »

This is very beautiful, and you friend is lucky to be getting such a great gift, I'm sure she will love it!

This is amazing for a first go too, it's very professional!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

would love a stencilled shirt, and am willing to personal swap resin jewellery for one. PM if interested.
=)
Threads you might like:
Pages: [1] Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create a Craft Paper Christmas Tree
Creative Ways to Decorate Easter Eggs
How to Make DIY Sidewalk Chalk
DIY Memory Jars
DIY Memory Jar
Latest Blog Articles
Amazing Altered Puzzles
Meatless Monday: Cottage Cheese Mousse
Challenge #104 Halloween Costume Winner

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...