A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 297,161
Currently Running With Scissors:
562 Guests and 21 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Side seam moccasins  (Read 9014 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Tanna
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2008 01:10:30 AM »

this just rocks in a stone age way haha.your moccasins turned out very beautifull! i love them, and i want to thank you also for giving the website to the pattern because not only the pattern is awesome but i never found a forum like this and i was searching for something like this for a while allready. So it's double nice to see your post Smiley

THIS ROCKS   Logged
mrsflibble

will work for yarn

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2008 04:30:24 AM »

wow, they are cool.
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Roxy1976
« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2008 10:00:10 AM »

Wow! They are very Middle Earth, yet trendy at the same time. Let's all start a Crafster Ugg rebellion!

Fabjou, my sewing machine wasn't expensive but it says it can sew leather. I am sure you could do this with soft leather or suede
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Pingino Rodrguez

Beaded jewellery, knitted and crocheted items and needlework, some with Latin-inspired themes, some not!

http://www.folksy.com/shops/Roxy
RougeRaven
« Reply #33 on: June 23, 2008 10:00:45 AM »

I used a stitch marker to get the holes spaced right and an awl to pierce the leather. If it's thin enough you can use a glovers needle which has a triangular sharpened tip to go through the leather, just remember they are extremely sharp!

Thanks for the tip, I guess I should have just broke down and bought an awl to begin with- it didn't seem too thick, but now I know better. I definitely have my share of battle scars from my leather adventures. (Of the crafty nature of course  Cheesy )
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Craft Blog- one 30 day project each month

http://stitchittotheman.wordpress.com/
La Maestra
« Reply #34 on: June 23, 2008 12:41:49 PM »

Roxy1976, I second your sewing machine comment.  I sewed these seams on a regular, low-end Pfaff, with a sharp leather needle.  I did stick the needle into a block of wax, first, but the leather was dry enough that I don't think it was necessary.  On the suede itself, it's garment weight, and I used a jeans needle and just sewed.

And then sewed the leather onto a suede coat.  Again, sharp leather needle, and had to play around with the tension on a test piece, first.

The leather cuff in the pictures is about the thickness of a moccasin slipper, maybe even a little thicker. My machine wouldn't work on the sole of a "boot" moccasin, though - the thick, hard leather for the sole of an "outdoor" shoe needs to be hand sewn or professional machine stitched.  I have an awl and stitching pony that I have yet to use - but now I'm motivated!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
DangitJess
denimology.com

denimology.com

View Profile WWW available for personal swaps
« Reply #35 on: June 23, 2008 01:01:24 PM »

Wonderful job
THIS ROCKS   Logged

denimology.com

Fashion is a form of ugliness so intolerable that we have to alter it every six months.

You haven't had enough coffee until you can thread your machine while it's running!
Bo.K
« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2008 03:45:57 PM »

Those are great!! I have been searching high and low for some info on making a pair of these Cheesy
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Grimnir
« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2008 04:15:29 PM »

Those are great!! I have been searching high and low for some info on making a pair of these Cheesy
Thanks Smiley to you and everyone! I know what you mean though, I'v wanted to make a pair of mocs for years, ever since I first got started in leatherwork, and this is the first one I've seen that was fully comprehensible!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wassail!
Grim
juneapostrophe
« Reply #38 on: June 24, 2008 03:39:44 PM »

ah ah i want to make some so badly!  beautiful job Smiley 
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Smiley

now selling name book/banners in my new etsy shop--check it out!:
http://www.etsy.com/shop/juneapostrophe

friend me on facebook!
http://www.facebook.com/#!/pages/Tucson-AZ/june-apostrophe-by-naomi/138853086141015?ref=ts&__a=4&ajaxpipe=1
Kanhoro

Xander of Wolven-Knit~

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2008 04:53:03 PM »

great job. it "rocks!". lol
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
High Speed Photography
Group Portrait Photography Tips
Preventing or Removing Red Eye
Stop Motion Digital Photography
Wedding Photography and Posed Pictures Advice
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: DIY Drum Light
Tute Tuesday: Fleece Puppy Bed
Matchbox Mania!

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...