A Crafts Community For Craft Ideas & DIY Projects - Craftster.org
Help | About | Contact | Press | Advertise | Terms | Site Map
Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Random Tip: Do you have a crafty tattoo?  We'd love to feature it in our Crafty Tattoos blog series!  Share it with us here!
Total Members: 300,960
Currently Running With Scissors:
459 Guests and 4 Users
Home Craftster Community Crafting Articles Craft Tutorials My Craftster Crafting Calendar City Guides Craft Shop

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
Jump to page:
  Show Images Only     Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  
Topic: Side seam moccasins  (Read 9558 times)
Tags for this thread:  Add new tag
Share the love... Pin it Submit to reddit add to Wists
1+

Gomerriffic
Meet my friend, Mr. Lemmy Lime!

Exsqueeze me?

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #20 on: June 22, 2008 04:02:04 PM »

This rocks! It reminds me of my old moccasin boots. I worked an entire summer to buy them. This is ever so much cooler, making them. Hitting this rocks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Grimnir
« Reply #21 on: June 22, 2008 04:27:57 PM »

Thanks everyone! I can't believe my boots have made it onto the front page Shocked I never thought I'd do anything good enough to feature on the front page here Grin Cheesy Grin Cheesy Grin Really pleased
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wassail!
Grim
tcha345
« Reply #22 on: June 22, 2008 04:50:49 PM »

If I wanted to make these (because they're oh so awesome), where would one acquire the leather? Smiley

P.S. yours rock Smiley
THIS ROCKS   Logged

I'm awesome. Smiley

I have vintage yarn that I would like to give to someone! Please send a message if you'd like to obtain it.  I have lots!
La Maestra
« Reply #23 on: June 22, 2008 07:03:38 PM »

I don't know about Grimnir (whose boots make him my hero), but I like to dig through upholstery remnants at my local leather factory (in this case, Tandy) - I can get fairly good sized pieces and they charge by weight of the total I heap onto the counter.  I also have a large, thick leather coat I got at a thrift store (has minor damage and was half-off day, so cheap!) and plan to make boots and matching gloves (sleeves are the right size for the boot tops!)  - now I feel like I need to get a move on and stop procrastinating!  Thanks Grimnir!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
RougeRaven
« Reply #24 on: June 22, 2008 07:03:41 PM »

That's so weird, I was just looking at some moccasin kits yesterday but they didn't have them in my size. These are very nice! Did you use a particular brand of leather needle? The ones I use never seem to be durable enough to properly make a project. I broke one once just trying to mend a leather belt. I must be doing something wrong
THIS ROCKS   Logged

My Craft Blog- one 30 day project each month

http://stitchittotheman.wordpress.com/
funkensteins
« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2008 07:44:49 PM »

Thank you for posting that wbsite! It is full of useful information! I have been designing my own shoes for a few years,  (Designing.. mentally... not actually creating!  Tongue )and only recently found an old book describing how to make moccasins. I am looking forward to trying them out in some future time when there is an extra day laying around....
« Last Edit: June 22, 2008 07:45:19 PM by funkensteins » THIS ROCKS   Logged

frabjousfrocks

fair.fabulous.joyous.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2008 11:09:57 PM »

I meant to say make professionally, oops Tongue. I've made mocs before from various tutorials and patterns out of all kinds of fabrics including one leather pair from second hand pair of pants. I do think that I would benefit from a leather machine to achieve that professional look and durability that would be required to sell them, common example Minnetonka. 
I must say though that you have a very even hand stitch and did a wonderful job in construction. I hope you make tons!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

3littlechicks
Mom to minions

View Profile available for personal swaps
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2008 11:36:42 PM »

Awesome job! I've been making mocs since..well, my family makes native crafts so I've always been around them. Those look great!

umm...for some of the people who ask about needles, a fair amount of the "kits" you can buy come with the hide already punched with holes, I also like doing it that way, it makes for less stress.

I pressed this rocks!
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Grimnir
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2008 12:17:26 AM »

I used a stitch marker to get the holes spaced right and an awl to pierce the leather. If it's thin enough you can use a glovers needle which has a triangular sharpened tip to go through the leather, just remember they are extremely sharp!
THIS ROCKS   Logged

Wassail!
Grim
Doomkitty
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2008 12:22:50 AM »

Wow i love those !  Kiss
THIS ROCKS   Logged
Threads you might like:
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All Jump to page:
  Send this topic  |  Print  |  Bookmark  

Jump to:  

FacebookTwitterPinterest
only results with images
include swap threads
advanced search

your ad could be here!

How-To Videos
How to Create Cushion Covers
How to Create Bed Valance
How to Darken a Room Using Curtains
How to Make Your Own Insulated Curtains
How to Make a Long Stitch
Latest Blog Articles
@Home This Weekend: Chalkboard Wine Glasses
Handmade Gift Ideas: Wooden Chain
Handmade Gift Ideas: Upcycled Car Trash Bag

Comparison Shopping

Support Craftster
Become a
Friend of Craftster

Buy Craftster Swag
Buy Craft Supplies
Comparison Shopping

Craftster heartily thanks the following peeps...
Moderators

Follow Craftster...